Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #1

SUN #5530
rivertrails is an unknown quantity at this point
Take off camper awning 1987 Saturn T-1550

I hit a awning support pole on a fence post trying to get it in my barn. I ripped the bottom of one of the side support poles off my camper.(and ripped some of the siding in the process ) The wood is all rotten where the bottom of the awning side support bars connect at the bottom of the camper. So I can't use the awning anyway. I at first thought to cut a bigger spot of the siding out.Dig out some rotten wood and fill it with some type of hard material ( if I go this route , what material would you suggest using as fill) that I could put the screw back in and it would hold the screw. And then maybe gluing a thin piece of sheet metal I have with Liquid nails over the damaged cut out spot.( If I go this route do you think liquid nails would work well or would you suggest something else?) Then sense I can't use the canopy anyway because of rotted wood I thought Id just like to take the whole canopy off. Just wasted weight. I looked and it seemed like it might not be a good idea and harder then I first thought. There's the big heavy duty connecter scews on both ends of the top of the canopy. And then the whole length of the canopy railing with all the little screws in it. May do more harm taking it off. And all the screw holes that I thought I could maybe just cover with Eterna bond tape . THis now seems like a bad idea to me to take the whole thing off. I doesn't look Like it would be possible to just take the one end support pole off that came out at the bottom. That would be my choise now if I could. It seems to be just one connected piece at the top with the main end piece that holds the canopy roll on the camper. Is this right? The side pole does not actually seem to be supporting the canopy roll at all while the canopy is rolled up so I didn't think it would be needed. Well anyway I want to use this camper for a month starting in 3 weeks and would sure appreciate some suggestions and ideas. You've probably already figured out I don't know a whole lot about building stuff.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #2

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it possible to post pictures of your trailer and canopy?

P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:54 AM   #3

SUN #5530
rivertrails is an unknown quantity at this point
Pics for awning problem

pic 0002 shows where I was thinking of cutting the siding out larger. digging rotten wood out and then re screwing the screw in so it would hold. / pic oo5 shows the top of the side support bar that pic oo2 is the bottom of. what I would like to disconnect from the canopy roll and remove.But don't think is possible. /pic 004 swos a little section of the plate the canopy is connected to that goes along the whole top of the camper that secures the canopy on the camper along with the 2 ends shown in pic 005 and 003. What I was thinking of taking the whole canopy off but was afraid I would really get leaks and do damage if I did that. I know it must be hard to understand t and try to help explain how and what to do. But any attempts would be great
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0002.jpg (66.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (76.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0004.jpg (88.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (67.7 KB, 3 views)