Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-11-2016, 06:49 AM   #1

SUN #8337
Marke is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Tail lights

I was able to get the brake and signal lights working in my new to me 1981 sunline camper but I am unable to get the tail lights to come on. Has anyone had this kind of electrical problem?

Old 06-11-2016, 07:50 AM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes I think at some point every one that has ever owned a trailer of any sort has! Have you had a look at the fuses inside your converter? They are behind a door that is held closed by a screw. Beyond that you kind of have to start at the plug and work your way back.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:31 PM   #3

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think running lights should be a brown wire from the 12V plug on the camper. Your tail lights will have one wire for the turning function, another wire for the running lights and some way to ground the fixture whether it is a screw to the camper sheet metal or another wire. You have found the negative or the turn lights would not work. You need the wire for the "running lights" on the light fixture, I think. It is best to trace from vehicle plug side, all the way back.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:07 PM   #4

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
You might want to first verify that power for the running/tail lights is making it to the 7 pin connector at the back of the tow vehicle.

Then check to see if it's getting from the 7 pin to the other end of the pigtail. On Sunlines of that era, the pigtail terminated under the trailer just aft of the A-frame

It split there with 12vdc hot going up into the trailer to the hidden 30 amp master fuse. The brake wire went from there to the brakes.

Brown, green, and yellow continued under the trailer all the way to the rear. Green an yellow are the brake and turn signal lines. Brown is the tail/running lights.

It should be a simple matter of tracing and testing the brown wire using a multi-meter or even just a 12vdc test light.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:44 PM   #5

SUN #8337
Thanks for the tips. I will check the fuses and trace the wires out. I also have to replace the hot water heater and fresh water pump. The water heater poured water from the bottom when pressure was turned on and the water pump comes on but does not pump water.. I think the impeller may be broken.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:31 PM   #6

SUN #1830
Those things might cost a little more than the lights, LOL! But ain't you having fun?
Old 06-13-2016, 05:29 AM   #7

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marke View Post
Thanks for the tips. I will check the fuses and trace the wires out. I also have to replace the hot water heater and fresh water pump. The water heater poured water from the bottom when pressure was turned on and the water pump comes on but does not pump water.. I think the impeller may be broken.
Before you order a pump check and make sure some one has not added a valve to the water inlet it should be near the pump in the line that comes from the water tank. They were used to force antifreeze into the system with the pump. It does not have an impeller it is a diaphragm pump they do sell kits for them with all the parts valves etc. If even one of the three valves has a piece of junk holding it open it will not pump. Leaking hot water tanks are a pretty normal occurrence on campers either from freezing or rust on the bottom I made the mistake once replacing the tank when for a few dollars more I could have bought the entire heater.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:29 AM   #8

SUN #8337
Thanks so much. I did not notice a valve but I will certainly double check that. ��
Old 06-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #9

SUN #8474
jsm5394 is an unknown quantity at this point
I discovered my left signal wasn't wirking just prior to my last trip. 7 pin was good. Gave the light a whap and it works fine. I am going to clean the connectors, but u thought this was humorous. Life with a 27 year old camper is never dull.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:13 AM   #10

SUN #1830
Thumbs up

Done that.