Recently, most of my rear parking/tail lights went out, and the only one working on the back of our T-1350 was on the left rear. Turn, brake, 4-ways, and backup all worked fine. The R/R parking light was out as were the clearance lights above, and the right side rear clearance light. I found a poor connection in the left rear tail light. I found it easily when I put the meter on them and the other lights came on. The upper connections on this socket needed re-terminated. (I also re-terminated the lower one. You can barely see the tip of the wire on it here - if you look real
close.) You can also see that there is a bit of corrosion on the bulb's shell and its bracket/socket. That will be mentioned again later in this post.
The lower of the two bulbs was the culprit. The upper one is the backup light and was fine. The lower is the combination turn/stop/tail - 1157.
The caulking/sealing didn't look that great, but it seemed to be ok - kinda. When I got the fixture off.....yuck!
Ok.....a simple electrical fix. Cut the green wires loose, get all the "hairs" out of the holes, strip some new wire and shove it in the holes, making sure it sticks out on the other side.
After making sure the connections were good and all the lights worked in all modes, it's time to clean it up. Almost there, and I'm sure glad they didn't use silicone on it! Could have cleaned it all up before terminating, but I'm different.
Butyl tape on 3+ sides. I left some open at the bottom for good drainage. Don't know if it was necessary, but I did. I doubled up on the tape in the low spots on the vertical runs.
I suck at calking, but I cleaned it up better than this shot shows. Didn't want to get all that white goopy stuff on my nice shiny camera, so I stopped shooting at this point.
When it sets up good, I'll paint it and try to make it look like it's on purpose.
After it got it all back together and calked, I checked the lights again. Strange....when I had the 4-ways on with the parking lights, the 4-ways looked like a school bus's lights - alternating. LOL! Ok, I neglected to clean up the shell of the light bulb and its socket/bracket. (Silly goose!) It was a bit corroded. Once cleaned up, they all worked normally. Glad I didn't have to pull it all back apart and start over again. <G>