Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #1

SUN #5726
Leatherneck1 is an unknown quantity at this point
T-2470 "ticking" heater??

I was able to spend some time with my "new" trailer and devote some needed TLC.

Was happy to figure out how to unroll the awning w/out losing any fingers, and even happier to discover that the awning was still sound and complete - just needed to dry it out before re-rolling.

But after hooking the battery up and opening the gas lines I noticed an audible "ticking" coming from where the camper's heater is located. Said ticking was not constant, instead it only clicked about once every 15 seconds or so. From initial "research" via YouTube, my novice understanding would have me believe that it was the heater trying to ignite. I tried moving the thermostat setting so as to stop the heater from trying to start, but no dice.

Curious to know if my diagnosis is correct, and if anyone has any remedy(ies) that I myself could try to either trouble shoot, or resolve this issue.

Many thanks to any and all for your time, consideration and help!!

This is a site is absolutely fantastic and has been a HUGE help in fixing, understanding and enjoying my home away from home.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Thermostat was probably still trying to start it, and you probably have spiders or something in your gas lines. Shut the supply off, disconnect the fitting and see if you can get some gas flow then to the furnace. If yes, then you probably need to clean out inside the furnace.

Have you tried lighting the stove or refrigerator on gas? Opposite side of your trailer, but still far enough back that it should get some gas flowing.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 03:42 PM   #3

SUN #5443
krazedave is an unknown quantity at this point
You didn't say if the blower on the furnace was running or not. It would not be trying to light if the blower isn't running.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Dave is right about the blower. Good point. And when the blower is running, you really have to listen hard to hear the igniter as the blower sound helps drown out the ingiter sound.

Assuming the blower it not running and maybe not even the furnace

Question: Are you sure the fridge is not trying to light on gas? I looked up your layout trying to figure out where the furnace is in relation to the fridge. It looks like the furnace may be under the sink or stove which is closely near the fridge. Does the fridge work on gas?

If this is an igniter, It has a problem and is weak. The tick, click, snap of an igniter is closer to once a second. The fridge igniter can go bad and sound like what you are describing.

I know this may be a stretch on the cause, however as you start to figure out your camper this might just fit.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:55 AM   #5

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
One way you MAY possibly eliminate the furnace is that in addition to the thermostat (if not an old unit; I don't think you ever gave year of your TT) is a switch that is down and to the left of the thermostat temp. control. Slide it off. I think that shuts everything down electrically.

I'm not at my TT nor have the specs for the furnace at the moment, others will know what I'm talking about and with be able to comment.

As JohnB stated my 1996 T-2053 has the furnace thermostat just above my refrigerator and to the left. Sound of frig. possibly could be confused with furnace? Maybe.
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:32 AM   #6

SUN #5726
Thanks all for the advice/input.

To help clarify:

Yes I'm getting gas to both the stove and fridge, with are on the opposite side and a bit farther back from where the heater is located.

It's not the fridge that is "ticking", which does snap at about once per second when I'm getting that started. The fridge's control switch was in the "off" position the entire time I was working on the camper so that particular appliance wasn't trying to ignite.

The thermostat is located opposite the stove & fridge. It's on the wall of the dining area, above the seat that is covering the heater.

I did not hear a blower run. I assume that it would give the sound of air being pushed and the resulting "white noise" would cover the sound of the igniter (??).

As for year of my trailer - she's a 1991.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #7

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherneck1 View Post
The thermostat is located opposite the stove & fridge. It's on the wall of the dining area, above the seat that is covering the heater.

I did not hear a blower run. I assume that it would give the sound of air being pushed and the resulting "white noise" would cover the sound of the igniter (??).
This is problem 1. No blower running. When it runs, there is no mistake it is running, you can hear it and feel it blowing out the air ducts. Odds are very high unless something is messed up this is not an ignition tick/snap. The blower needs to run to allow the sail switch to activate which in turn allows the gas valve to open and ignition to start firing.

You have to get past the blower not running part first.

Can you find the model number/serial number of the hydroflame furnace so we can make sure which vintage you have? If you cannot find it in the camper manual, it should be behind the cover outside the camper. Take pics too of the inside that cover as we can back into it that way worst case.

The ticking "might" be a relay chattering trying to engage. The older ones had a relay board that sort of ran the show.

Are you 12 volt auto electrically friendly and have a volt ohm meter and know how to use it? Once we know what model you have we can suggest a few big picture things and after that it will take a level of trouble shooting to figure next steps. If this sounds too much, if you have a buddy who is an electrician they may be able to help or a RV tech may be needed.

Hope this helps

John

Old 11-14-2014, 04:13 PM   #8

SUN #5726
John/all,

I was able to run out to the trailer earlier this week and take a few photos of the heater. I hope they help & make it onto this thread/webpage!

As always I sincerely appreciate the time and effort given by everyone to help me diagnose/remedy this problem!!

v/r & Semper Fi,
Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heater2.jpg (89.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Heater3.jpg (80.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Heater4.jpg (87.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Heater5.jpg (58.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #9

SUN #89
You have the older Hydroflame 8525-II. A good furnace, just the older version of the newer 8525-IV. I have been all the way through the -VI version and not the older II version, but I can see from your pics what upgrades Hydroflame did.

First I would check the fuses in your power converter area to make sure none are blown.

I do not know how electrically friendly you are. This is going to take some trouble shooting to figure out why the blower is not running. That is the first problem to overcome.

You will need a volt/ohm meter ideally or a 12 volt test light and know how to use them.

Before I go a lot deeper on this, have you been through 12 volt automotive trouble shooting and feel confident on doing that? I do not want to throw a lot of terms out and have you accidentally get hurt if this is your first troubleshooting mission. If it is, if you have an electrician buddy we can help point them where to start or suggest you find and RV tech. For a seasoned electrician who knows how to read a wiring diagram this is not a complex problem to track down, however for the first time user, it can be complex.

Here is the big picture, I'll leave the fine details out for right now so you sort of know what this may be. The gas is OFF at this point. No need to have it on.

You are needing to track down finding what has power to it and what does not and you need to confrim there is a good ground (DC common) present. Once a good ground is established, this starts with the power relay inside the furnace cabinet that turns the motor on and off. The T stat sends power to the relay coil which then turns the relay on. The relay itself needs to have power going to the contacts and then coming out of the relay output contacts heads to the motor. When the relay turns on, the motor runs. So that is the mission, figure out why it is not running.

Once the motor runs then you can start seeing if the rest of the unit works. There are other electrical safties on the gas valve circuit that may be OK or not but until the motor runs, you do not want to even start doing anything with them.

Let us know what you feel confident with doing and have done before.

Hope this helps

John