Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-03-2020, 12:15 PM   #1

SUN #2943
Tod Osier is an unknown quantity at this point
T-1950 frame repair suggestions needed...

OK looking for help/comments here. I’m working on the T-1950 to prep for some welding on the tongue and header and suspension. 1) add a new stronger battery tray, 2) steel across the top of the tongue channel above the battery tray to reduce twisting by the WD, 3) adding a prophylactic reinforcement behind the header similar to the reinforcements that many of the heavier trailers of my era needed, 4) fixing a couple cracks where the tongue passes through the header and 5) getting a couple holes in the spring hangers filled since they are wallowed out a bit.

I was crawling around, checking things out to make sure there were no other issues and I found other issues. These shots pertain to the unique T-1950 frame where the I-beam on the driver’s side stops short to allow clearance for tanks and dump plumbing. I know John found some problems on his project T-1950 having to do with this feature.

Here is what I found on the driver’s side. Crack in the frame. All other welds look solid and this appears to be the only thing on this side.

Looking in, crack is more easily understood in next pic.

Same area looking out.

On the passenger side there is a crack in the frame I-beam apparently where the support on the outside works against the very solid c-channel that runs side-to-side across the camper from where the I-beam ends.

Looking in, crack is at the bottom of the support. Crack goes all the way through, horizontal crescent shape on each side.

My thought on a fix is the same on both sides. Take a piece of 1 1/2” x 1 1/2” x 1/8” angle and add it vertical spanning the top to bottom of the beam. Weld to the beam on one leg of the angle and the support on the other leg. Could be inside or outside of frame on driver side and welded to frame and c-channel. On the passenger side weld support on outside to frame and sheet metal support. I don’t think heavier would be needed given that the web of the beam is very thin. The cracks could also be welded shut from the opposite side. THOUGHTS?!?!?

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tod Osier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:16 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Tod,

I'm thinking on your main frame cracks. Will be back soon on them.

Since they cracked where they did, did you check the rear bumper mounts for cracks? The spare tire on the back bumper aggravates the issue on that unique frame setup.

See this link to mine on the rear bumper mount cracks.
https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...tml#post150990

Hope this helps.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 03:39 AM   #3

SUN #2943
I did not find any bumper issues and I was looking since I reviewed your t-1950 resto thread before starting and again after I found what I did. I’ll admit it was hard to concentrate once I found what I did (so I may have missed a bumper issue). Rather than the frame cracking as yours did mine looks like it is side-to-side stresses on the frame members being concentrated where the tall and very thin (and apparently brittle) frame I-beam wants to lean and meets the stiff sideways running c-channel. It is cracked right where if you put a sideways leaning force into it and it is being resisted by the c-channel and cracking there.

On the bumper weight, we have done a several trips with 2 spares on the bumper under pretty rough conditions. Seeing your resto thread and thinking about the unique frame issues to the t-1950, my plan was to get as much weight off the bumper as possible and to redistribute the weight to the strong side. My main spare has always been on the driver (weak) side and when I've had a second spare for trips to Alaska it is mounted on the strong side (on a fold down mount in front of the hot water heater). I was going to take the spare off the weak side and mount it on a BAL underbelly carrier (hide-a-spare) and reinforce the bumper attachment on the strong side as well fr the second spare mount. Anyway that was the plan. When it gets a little lighter out, I'll comb over the bumper and report back.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
Old 05-04-2020, 05:50 AM   #4

SUN #2943
All of the rear frame is 100% solid, no cracks, nothing bent.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
Old 05-04-2020, 12:52 PM   #5

SUN #89
Tod,

Can you get a pic of the left to right 3" C channel iron spanning from the left side at the dump valve all the way over to the right side under the bed.

Since the black tank is in the way, take the pic with the camera sort of behind or in the middle of the axles looking towards the back of the camper. Try and get from the black darco to the bottom of the main frame rails.

Also get some close ups from the inside of the frame rails looking at the crack on the right side. Your outside pic of the right side is perfect, just need the other side of it.

Also confirm, your main frame rails are 5" tall in height? Not sure if they used 5 or 6" on the T1950. I suspect 5" but do not want to assume.

Thanks

John

Old 05-04-2020, 02:06 PM   #6

SUN #2943
Ok, here you go... Main frame I-beam is 6".

Passenger side looking out (I would have had this pic to start, but the propane supply was in the way. Now since obviously I have to work in that area, I have it out).

You can see the iris shape where the outside bracket is punching into the i-beam with a 3 part crack.

I can't get the whole cross c-channel in one pic (it looks straight, fyi), but here are the pieces.

Passenger close.

Driver close.

Longest shot I could get given the space constraints and plumbing in the way.

I've also found (refound) another sign that it is side-to-side stresses in that one of the sheet metal stiffeners that run crossways from frame to frame (the one above the forward suspension hangers) is broken loose on both ends at the bottom.

My current thought is inboard 2x2x.25 angle placed against the frame with the other leg on the heavy c-channel. Weld top to bottom against frame and against c-channel, that should stiffen the frame and the c-channel should offer a lot of resistance to flex (obviously does already, since the weld held). The cracks can be opened up and welded from the outside, most of which will be picked up by the angle on the inside and offer a really solid repair. Thought?!?!

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
Old 05-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #7

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod Osier View Post
I've also found (refound) another sign that it is side-to-side stresses in that one of the sheet metal stiffeners that run crossways from frame to frame (the one above the forward suspension hangers) is broken loose on both ends at the bottom.
Your last pics are good and helps explain which way the forces are coming from. I will create a pict-o-gram on that later.

But, there always seems to be at least one.... Need to know more about what you are talking about in the quote above?

You said this
Quote:
(the one above the forward suspension hangers)
Forward of the hangers? Is this a Z shaped sheet metal left to right stiffener? Need pics of the area and the cracks.

Also since you have a 6" I shape frame, need to see what they have as left to right frame width support near the front and rear spring hangers.

Look real good above all 6 spring hangers in the web of the 6" I beam for horizontal cracks.

Will be back later. I'm off the F350 project still.

John

Old 05-04-2020, 04:05 PM   #8

SUN #2943
Inside of the passenger side crack cleaned up a bit.

Crack in stiffener bottom on passenger side above forward spring hanger. No others show problems. I note that these are the only side-to-side stiffeners above the axles and they are the ones broken.

Driver side. The right one in the photo is fine, the left one (above the hangers) is broken out at the bottom.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
Old 05-04-2020, 08:43 PM   #9

SUN #89
Hi Tod,

Here are my thoughts on the back of the frame cracks. I will talk to the axle area in a separate reply. I will explain a little about what I “think” is going on. Consider it an opinion only at this point, not an absolute. You are up close to it and may see something I cannot see from the pics.

Having been through this unique rear frame flexing issue on my 2004 T1950, I can see by your cracking how the cracks may have come to be. First off, Sunline made a lot of T1950’s, and we will call this failure mode low at this point. There is not a significant issue with the system, but it does have weak points. The cracks you found now are not new. I would say they may have started a few years ago, could be two to maybe even four years ago unless you had better knowledge when they started. But the length of the cracks was a lot less, only minor and hard to tell when they first started unless you were intensely looking for them. The cracks were tiny when they started, and as time went on, they grew in size. The cracks exhibit a somewhat standard low cycle fatigue crack. The camper frame twists back and forth over time. All frames do, just there are factors to turn that twisting into exsessive twisting and an actual crack.

The black tank set up on the T1950 uses an approx. 4’ long piece of 3”. C Channel in the left rear corner to pass over the top of the black tank dump pipe. That 3” Channel iron has an offset jog outward from the main trailer frame. The frame jog creates a pivot point where the 3” channel meets the main frame rail behind the rear axle. My 2004 used 4” Channel main frame rails, and your 2006 uses 6” tall I beam shape. Technically your main frame rail is more robust than mine, in certain lengthwise loading directions. It is weaker in a few other side loading directions.

This rear joint behind the rear axle hanger creates the flex. This picture is from my 2004 camper.

When that left hand 4 ft long frame rail is unbolted from the camper floor, that joint has a high degree of flexing. Two paint cans hanging on the end will cause it to bend down 1/8”. While an 1/8” is not a lot, the right side has zero movements with many times that weight.

Here is a left-hand side video of my foot wiggling it showing a lot of movement with about 10 to maybe 30# of push. This link will take you to my Flicker site and should run the MOV file. Just click the pic to run the movie when it loads up. https://www.flickr.com/photos/camper...posted-public/

Here is a right-hand side video of my foot wiggling it. Minimal movement, it is much more substantial compared to the left side. This link will take you to my Flicker site and should run the MOV file after you click it. I am doing more wiggling then the frame.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/camper...posted-public/

The left side frame does get significantly more rigid when the camper gets bolted to the floor. The floor and walls make the structure stable enough to use as a camper. But my point is when large dynamic forces act on the camper frame, the left side is much weaker than the right side regardless if the floor is bolted to it our not.

See here for more on this bending joint if wanted. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...tml#post151090

Now to your frame cracks. Based on how I have seen the left rear side of the camper flexing, the left side is for sure flexing at the frame jog joint to cause this crack. A needed understanding is, which direction is the force to create the crack and continued ripping of the main frame rail? The substantial forces to develop the crack comes when the back of the camper raises “up”. Yes, up, not down. A downward force on the end of the camper creates compression where the crack started. That crack is the result of the bottom of the 3” channel being forced up, not down. Cracks in steel like this only happen when the steel is being pulled apart in tension. The weak spot in the joint is when the camper comes up out of a large bump and upward flex. When the back of the camper flexes down, the top of the joint is strong enough to handle those forces. See here.

To help show how this happens, I used my T1950 in the rebuild process as an example. I rotated the picture of the camper picture 5 degrees in both directions to show what is going on when you are driving over a single bump in the road with the camper, the bigger the bump, the more rotation. And multiple bumps in a row are even worse.

The camper level at rest or riding down a smooth highway. The yellow line is horizontal. You can see it on the siding.

Now you hit a bump. We will pick a pothole, and the left tire drops in the hole first. The back of the camper is going to drop down first on the way into the hole. As the camper hits the bottom of the hole, a massive jolt goes into the frame joint that flexes it hard. Remember, this side of the camper is weaker than the right. While the right side will also bend and twist, it is at a much less amount. The frame is not balanced left to right.

As you keep driving forward, that hard down jolt force goes in the opposite direction and upward. This picture is the same 5 degrees rotation but in the opposite direction. This upward direction is causing the main frame jog joint to start the crack and continue to rip it apart a little at a time as the flexing cycles continue to repeat.

Your cross country trips, and then you said you ran into several rough patches, do you recall how many miles this was over the last 14 years? Trust me. I know all about an interstate loaded with land mine potholes that bent my T310SR frame. Same problem, just larger camper weights and rear overhang. The lack of shock absorbers on campers just makes all this that much worse. Even somewhat normal small bumps over many thousands of miles constantly flexes the back of the camper frame, back and forth at that frame joint for every bump. It just needs to be strong enough to take what our highways throw at it. Or get better roads. OK a little sarcasm there.

Now to the right side main frame rail web crack, that comes from the camper flexing from the left side going up and down. As the left side goes down, it pulls down hard to the left on the web of the main frame rail. When the left side rear frame goes up, a complete reversal of the bending forces pushes the right side frame rail back to center of the web and beyond center over to the right side. This constant significant push and pull starts a fatigue crack in the I beam web just about on the centerline of the unsupported web steel. The 3” C channel is rigid halfway down the 6” main frame rail in this pulling direction. The bottom of the main frame rail has the I beam bottom flange to reinforce it. The weak spot is halfway between the two. In this case, the 3” left to right C channel is about 6’ long. That is a good-sized lever flexing up and down with the left side flexing up and down.

I needed to convince myself somewhat, I understood where the forces were coming from before suggesting a repair. Here are some thoughts to talk to your welder about. See what he says.

On the left side,

1. Drill a 3/16” to 1/4” hole in the end of the web crack. Center the drill right at the end of the crack. This is nicknamed a stop drill hole, which is standard practice on these kinds of repairs.
2. Grind out a weld prep and full penetration weld the crack closed.
3. Grind the outside of the main frame smooth, where you will add reinforcement.
4. Add between a 2” x 2” up to a 3 x 3” x 3/16 to 1/4" thick angle in the joint on the outside of the frame. The length should be from the top inside flange to bottom inside the flange of the I beam. Chamfer out the corners of the angle to fit into the I beam radius and the original channel weld to the I beam. Do not grind the I beam radii or the original channel weld to fit the angle iron.
5. Stitch weld in the angle.
6. I picked the outside of the main frame on the left as it will be easier to weld in the angle.

Some general guidelines on these thin I beam welds. Heat shrink can be your enemy when welding these frames if you are not thinking about the weld sequence. For every weld, the metal will shrink less than it was before the welding. That shrink will bend the metal as the fibers are shorter in that local area. Welding above the centerline of the I beam will shrink the upper part and bend (camber) the frame rail upward (positive). Welding below the center of the main frame rail will bend camber it down (negative). Use short stitches, let it cool to the touch before putting the next weld on. Yes, it will take a long time. Go back up to the header area and work as a weld is cooling down and come back to it. The goal is to balance the top of center welds with the bottom ones. And do not over weld the joint, short stitches put less heat in I beam. If you overheat the frame, it will twist in the direction of the most heat. Be extra careful welding across the face of the upper or lower I beam flange that area will camber the beam the fastest. The frame makers put positive camber in the frames by just putting down weld beads on the top flange while the frame is being made. Do not put a lot of heat on the lower flange, it will bend down from the shrink.

Have the welder bring a few pieces of sheet metal to shove above the frame to shield the heat from melting the Darco. A few 2ft x 2 ft pieces will work.

Odds may be they use high strength low carbon steel on the I beam which is 56 ksi yield strength steel. My T310SR camper I beam is like that. He will need 7014 or 70XX weld rod if he is using stick. If MIG, he needs the right wire to get up in the right range for 56ksi steel.

On the right side,
1. Do the same stop drill (yes at each crack end, use 3/16" bit) and grind out weld prep both inside and out for a full penetration weld of the crack.
2. Grind the inside of the main frame smooth, where you will add reinforcement.
3. Add between a 2” x 2” up to a 3 x 3” x 3/16 to 1/4" thick angle in the joint on the outside of the frame. The length should be from the top inside flange to bottom inside the flange of the I beam. Chamfer out the corners of the angle to fit into the I beam radius and the original channel weld. Do not grind the I beam radii or the original channel weld top fit the alge iron.
4. Stitch weld in the angle
5. I picked the inside of the main frame on the right side as the heat on the right side will be partly on the channel iron and help make that side stronger.

I agree, get the spare tire off the left side rear bumper area. Your 2nd spare tire on a pivot mount frame on the right side frame rail area is a good idea. I had not yet figured out what I was going to do as I have to move one too. I will look into that. May just have to pivot the tire down if you use the gas water heat option.

Hope this helps

John

Old 05-04-2020, 08:48 PM   #10

SUN #89
I forgot you added the Moryde hanger stiffeners. Good choice.

This crack, I suspect that crack may have started long before the hanger stiffeners came. Do you know for sure it started just this past summer or it could of been on going for a few years before?

Since there are no web cracks above the hangers now, that is good as if there was, I was going to suggest the cross supports but you already have them.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:52 AM   #11

SUN #2943
Thanks John, a lot of good info there. Knowing that there have not been many problems with this design makes me consider our use. Yes, it has been a lot of use and hard use at that. We have 50K miles on the camper since we have owned it, several cross country trips, two to Alaska and they all end on bad roads. The frost heaves in Alaska are pretty bad and you can spend several hours per day slamming through them, but just washboard that we often drive on dirt out west can be very abusive. The response to the frost heaves is very dynamic with side to side, up and down and circular movement. Also there are a lot of potholes everywhere.

Alaska frost heaves from Cantwell RV Park to give an idea how bad they can be.

I'm following you on the damage and while I see where you are coming from on that stress (and I agree it is there), I also see side to side stress. The roseate on the passenger side is the bottom of the external gusset punching in (or pulling out) on the beam, that suggests some side to side lean of the frame in addition to the other forces you describe.

I have no idea when any of this happened. I went with the morrhyde crossmembers because of seeing the obvious side-to-side wear on the suspension components and seeing how insanely much flex the frame has when the suspension is off and you grab a hanger and wiggle it.

The repair seems pretty straightforward. I'm especially appreciative of your notes on welding the thin beam, since that isn't something I've thought about at all. Welder is going to use MIG. With the repair we are talking about the angle will catch much of the cracks, so that is good.

I'm going to cut and shape my angle repair pieces this morning while it is cold and then work on cleaning up the frame later.

We have a trip to AK planned, but we don't know how the border will be. Very tough psychologically finding issues like this and rushing to fix them for a trip that may not happen.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
Old 05-05-2020, 06:28 AM   #12

SUN #89
Quote:

I'm following you on the damage and while I see where you are coming from on that stress (and I agree it is there), I also see side to side stress. The roseate on the passenger side is the bottom of the external gusset punching in (or pulling out) on the beam, that suggests some side to side lean of the frame in addition to the other forces you describe.
Yes, I agree. The entire camper is flexing in just about all directions. The frame outrigger (the gusset) on the right side of the camper is directly behind the push and pull on the I beam web from the 3" C channel. The outrigger is there to attach and help hold up the walls of the camper. It ends up helping and hurting the I beam web break. While it unintentionally helped stiffen the I beam web, it too will crack its weld on when the large left to right stress comes from the 3" C Channel.

I am assuming, (not knowing) that there are no other outrigger gussets cracked? That one location cracked on the right side is unique to its location.

I also thought of it this morning, odds are high you will need to deal with the LP gas line and the new angle iron reinforcement on the right side. The 1/2" hard pipe probably will end up dead smack in the middle of the new angle. If I recall, the water heater is the only thing left on the end of that long hard pipe run. Maybe just cut and thread the end of the pipe and convert to the soft copper upstream of the new angle and run copper direct to the water heater. Just tuck it next to the frame and fasten so it does not get hung up on something passing under the camper. That way, there is no more increases of new gas joints trying to jog around the added angle. The hard line converts to soft copper going up through the floor anyway.

Seeing that washboard road in the link you sent, that seals the deal on not taking the T310SR up into AK. Ouch! When that time comes, one of the project campers may take that trip. If your plans are to keep the T1950, consider adding shock absorbers as a future project. They cut down the frame flexing by about 4 to 6 flex cycles for every bump you contact. The longer the camper the worse it gets, but the flex cycles after a bump can actually be worse for fatigue then the first hit.

Its all about slowing down the total number of frame flex cycles. I never realized how bad this was until I added shocks. I used to always get a full reversing 6 diminishing sine wave flex cycles of the entire T310SR camper as seen in the rear view mirror for every bump regardless how big the bump. Once I added shocks, all that flexing stopped in one up and down cycle. It was amazing. The camper can live 5 times longer from just less frame flexing.

Let us know how you make out on the fix.

John

Old 05-05-2020, 07:39 AM   #13

SUN #2943
Taking a break, I just got my reinforcements cut and ground to match the beam profile (may still need final fitting once I get the frame cleaned up).

On the AK roads, there are places on the way up and in state where the road looks that bad for several hour stretches. You are pounding away for 4 or 5 hours at 50 just trying to make progress (luckily the view from the windshield makes it worth while).

No other outriggers are cracked. Truth be told I carelessly noticed that this one was a little separated at the bottom a couple years ago and did not further investigate or notice the frame cracks.

On the propane, yes I agree with your thoughts. I have all the stuff to cut and flare flex copper if I need to, but there is also a lot of leeway of I don't try to put it back exactly as they had it (with the capped off "T" grill supply jammed under the frame. I can put an elbow and end it under the camper. On the tongue my modifications to the battery tray are in conflict too (couple street elbows may be employed, I already have them).

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
Old 05-05-2020, 09:24 PM   #14

SUN #89
Quote:
On the AK roads, there are places on the way up and in state where the road looks that bad for several hour stretches. You are pounding away for 4 or 5 hours at 50 just trying to make progress (luckily the view from the windshield makes it worth while).
Wow, 4 to 5 hours at 50 mph? All I had was about 15 miles of pothole central on I-88 in NY at 50 mph to deform the bottom flange of my I beam frame. It then took 6 more years of average towing flexing to continue the damage to the frame to point the slide no longer worked. The inside back of the camper was all mixed up after my initial damage. The swivel rocker that was stored upside down between the slide and the back wall, did a 180 degree flip sitting upright and beat a dent into the slide wall. I do not even want to think what 4 hours of that would look like.

I'd say, your camper has held up well. Not sure all other brands could of handled it as well.

Glad there was no more cracks in the outriggers.