Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-25-2021, 10:51 AM   #1

SUN #12861
CdnCamper is an unknown quantity at this point
T-1700 bearing replacement

Hi all, we purchased a new to us Sunline Saturn T-1700 tandem camper. I noticed after we brought it home that the 'new' front passenger tire had uneven wear. I twisted the wheel around and there is some noticeable movement even with the wheel on the ground. Two other wheels also have minor play.

I purchased a trailer aid to lift the camper in the air and I have a good amount of mechanical knowledge working on cars so I have plenty of tools but my trailer repair knowledge is very green.

Does anyone know what size bearings I need or what type of axle this is? Any other points on what to look out for when replacing the bearings, hubs, inspecting, etc? I plan on doing all four wheels just to be safe.

Old 08-26-2021, 05:52 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi CdnCamper,

Uneven tire wear on a trailer can come from several places. And there are ways to check many of them home in your yard with some simple tools. It sounds like you are handy with auto mechanics and the tools to go with it. That is a perfect background to have dealing with a camper/trailer suspension and running gear.

Let's put the uneven tire wear on a new tire to the side for a moment as there is another bigger issue in your description. You said this,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCamper View Post
I twisted the wheel around and there is some noticeable movement even with the wheel on the ground. Two other wheels also have minor play.

Does anyone know what size bearings I need or what type of axle this is? Any other points on what to look out for when replacing the bearings, hubs, inspecting, etc? I plan on doing all four wheels just to be safe.
Before we jump to conclusions, lets confirm how you did the test to see the notable movement of the wheel. Tell us how you did the test and where you saw the movement? Try and give some level of either inches or millimeters of the amount of play and where you saw it. Also was the wheel loaded on the ground, or off the ground free?

If you pull out a dial indicator against the wheel or brake drum, you can get some very minor movement. But if by eye, you can see the wheel wobbling around, that's a problem.

The brake drum hubs use tapered roller bearings. And like on an auto that used to use them, if the bearing preload was not set right, the bearing can get damaged early from too tight to too loose. When it comes to trailer wheels, there is an industry standard way to set the bearing running clearance that is simple and effective and done right, there is no by eye wobble of the wheel. The wheel being a larger diameter will magnify the bearing play, but still you should not be seeing it by eye. Not sure what you have to work with, if you have an indicator, lift the tire off the ground so it will spin free. Put the indicator on the OD of the wheel/rim. Zero it out and wiggle the wheel. Tell us what that number is and the tire size on the camper.

If you do not have an indicator handy, then there are 2 simple things to tell if the play is too much. Both of these are with the wheel off the ground.

1. Grab the OD of the tire and rock the tire back and forth, can you feel play between the end of stroke back and forth? Try and guesstimate the play you are seeing and where that number is taken from. The OD of the wheel, the OD of the steel rim, the brake drum hub.

2. If you have a carpenters square, like a 24" rafter square, on a hard surface base, put the square down on the floor and have the L (leg) of the square up and against the tire sidewall. The side wall may not be square to the ground and really is not supposed to be so do not worry about that. But, pick a spot on the tire, I'll pick the OD of the wheel, rock the tire and try with a scale/tape measure etc. measure the play. Since you have a hard reference point, the square, you can see easily the play.

Tell us what you find. By your description the wheel bearings may have been neglected with lack of a routine bearing grease pack or they set the bearing play wrong or both.

Any used camper one buys, should have the brakes checked for broken parts, froze up adjusters, worn magnets, heavily scored brake drums, the whole brake cleaned up, set the adjuster for pad clearance, clean out the bearings, inspect, repack the bearings with high quality wheel bearing grease, a new double lip grease seal and the bearing play set. Then you start with a fresh setup and in your case, you know what you have. Trailer brakes and suspension is a very neglected part of a camper.

When you get into having the wheels off, there is also a suspension check to do as trailer suspension, the bushings, the equalizer, spring pins etc. get worn rather fast in miles and these area even more neglected part of a camper. More on this later if wanted. Just ask.

As to the size of the bearings and seal, not sure what year camper your have. Try and always tell us that when you tell us the model number. Sunline changed brands over the years and some brands went out of business. This much I can say, if you have a local NAPA store, they will have rebuild kits for the bearings and seals. Or they have the parts individual. You will have to bring the old parts in to match up, or bring the bearing race and bearing cones and seal numbers/sizes with you. These are all standard parts. No rocket science here. Or we can help you find the parts on line. Your choice, we just need to know what you have.

Here is a picture post I did a number of years ago, never made it to posting it here yet, but it will show you what is behind the brake drum. Again not knowing the year of your camper, you may have a slightly different brand/setup, but electric trailer brakes have not changed much since the 50's. If you remember drum brakes on a car, these are the same just a lot lighter duty, just there is no hydraulic wheel cylinder and no back up to adjust brake shoe adjustment system. FYI, don't be expecting a thick heavy brake shoe lining. They are thin to start with. The wear spec is 1/16" is the max wear limit. And heat cracks in the lining is common and OK in most cases. If the pads are shot, some fall off, then replacing the entire brake plate is cheaper then just new shoes. More on that when the time comes.

https://forums.trailerlife.com/index...d/17173784.cfm

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:09 PM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
1" tapered bearings inner and outer just like a car only a bit smaller.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:33 PM   #4

SUN #12288
Tiny-House is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Cdncamper. I just did this on my 2007, T- 2075. The bearings are pretty simple. You have a larger inner and a smaller outer "cone" bearing inside each hub. My camper is a little larger than yours so, I'm not sure what axels you have? I also replaced all of the (4), "dust covers" with Buddy bearings and they fit under the 5-lug, hub caps. There are some excellent videos on YouTube regarding trailer bearing replacement. I also replaced all 4 of my electric brake assemblies while I was at it. I found the the 10" x 2.25" electric brake assemblies on Amazon for $169.00 with free shipping. Tip: Make sure to snap the axle nut keepers back over the nuts after tightening them "finger tight" so you don't lose a wheel going down the road! Keep a little tub of quality axle / bearing grease handy and a full 14oz, cartridge of grease in your grease gun too.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:26 AM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The 1700 has two one inch bearings inner and outer. A good deal of the brake backing plates were welded to the 1700 axle assembly so you are stuck with replacing parts as needed. As far as the bearings it is exactly the same as an automotive setup. It gets a bit more interesting as far as the brakes because they are electric. What would be a parking brake lever on a car has a electric magnet attached to it that is what applies the breaking. What you can do will require a helper, the break away switch when pulled will apply full breaking 100% this is where the helper comes in. At 100% it will cook the magnets and or the wiring if left on so as you check each wheel have your helper disconnect the battery cable as soon as you determine that the brake works you will know right away it will lock up solid. From there you can deal with the rest. Brand new there is not a lot of lining on the brakes so it's kind of hard to decide to replace them.