Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-30-2020, 07:13 AM   #41

SUN #2943
Tod Osier is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
That's not good and I thought you bought new springs with the axles. What brand springs were they? I am considering a spring replacement, but I'm really wondering about the quality of what I can get. The market is loaded with off-shore cheap springs as is so many other RV parts. I'm trying to eliminate them from the start.
They are Dexter springs and of two pairs of different eras (different retailer, different tags). My old springs were not only worn at the spring eye, they had taken quite a set in them.

Anyway, I'd look long and hard for a spring with a big eye (but not too big to create clearance issues) that could accommodate one of the steel core 9/16 ID bushings with poly or rubber outer. There are a lot of options of a DOM tube sleeve (Sleeve dimensions: 9/16 ID and 3/4 OD) and then poly bushing outer. Very common in the 4x4 aftermarket crowd. If you found the right poly outer the DOM tube is pretty inexpensive to cut the bushings yourself. This would be a lifetime fix. Were I planning on any more suspension work, I'd yank the springs and go that route.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tod Osier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:44 AM   #42

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Thanks Tod, good to know. I will research into that. That sounds like something U haul has on their trailers. Their fleet of trailers is so big and they go so many miles, they do not want service calls on the road to fix broken suspension. They have a very different setup that I wish was offered on travel trailers. It would be a life time setup on everything. I have pics somewhere of what they have if interested.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:35 PM   #43

SUN #2943
I wanted to report back and a little Henri enforced time inside gave me the opportunity to sit down and type something up…

After repeated failure of the stock Dexter bronze bushings, I decided to try bedding them in epoxy for support to try to extend their life. The experiment with epoxy (Devcon Plastic Steel Puddy) bedding the stock bronze bushings was a fail for the most part. In positions with the highest wear and the most loose spring eyes they failed, similar to without epoxy. In forward positions where I would have expected some damage, but not as much as towards the rear, the epoxy bedding worked well and the bushings were in great shape.

Photo of a failed bronze bushing bedded in epoxy after 6K hardish miles put on in Summer 2020 (passenger rear).

Forward bushings looked good (and better than they would have without epoxy).

I decided to try steel DOM tube bushings. DOM tube is often used for bushing material by the aftermarket off road crowd. There is not a properly sized DOM available, so I bought 11/16" OD and reamed the ID to 9/16.

Stats for the various parts.

Reaming to 9/16 resulted in a bushing with a lot tighter tolerance than the originals.

Bronze

Steel

I knew the DOM would fit in the spring eyes and in some cases be a loose fit, so I opted to bed these in epoxy.

After 6K hard miles this summer (2021), the bushings and epoxy looks great. This is my hardest wearing position (passenger rear).

With tolerances getting tighter and tighter alignment becomes more of a problem to get the shoulder bolts through the front of the bracket, the spring and then the back of the bracket. I made a nifty tool to help with alignment. I ground down a nut to serve as an alignment tool to get the bolt through the springs and bracket. Once through the nut is removed.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
Old 08-22-2021, 09:21 PM   #44

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Tod,

Nice report!

And neat spring pin cone nut. Nifty idea! I like it.

One question, where did you buy the DOM bushings? I'm curious what grade and hardness material they use. And possibly convert my T310SR to them when my bronze gives out.

Thanks for taking the time to report back on this.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 04:41 AM   #45

SUN #2943
Picture of the bushings.

I bought a stick of DOM off ebay for less than 20 dollars and made the bushings myself (seller: themetalman, tube stats: 11/16 OD DOM Seamless Round Tube .065" Wall-->.687" OD x .065" Wall). It is possible that 1/16" wall DOM exists, but I didn't find it. It is DOM 1020, so a nice mild steel with good machinability. Obviously it is much stronger than the bronze and much less likely to deform (a hammer test confirms this ). I assume it will wear at least as well as the bronze and the tolerance is much tighter, which will improve longevity.

Given what I've seen so far, if the epoxy holds it should be a lifetime replacement for most people.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
Old 10-21-2021, 04:22 PM   #46

SUN #9247
enormiss is an unknown quantity at this point
Followed this from way back and your update reminded me to check my shackles for a trip next Saturday. Just wish I did it sooner then today as I had one shackle in real bad shape on pass side. Didn't look at drivers side yet. Wanted to try THESE as they seem to have steel bushings like the ones you machined. Went with the actual morryde product via Amazon for the more dependable estimated delivery.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:32 PM   #47

SUN #9247
enormiss is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure why that one hole was in such bad shape, rest of that side was worn but not damaged.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:37 AM   #48

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The bolt was loose. It's not suppose to turn there it needs to be tight against the sleeve in the spring bushing. People tend to tighten the bolt with the suspension hanging (because it's easier) when it should be loaded. The rocker beam is where the movement should be. What I would like to see there is a bronzes bushing and a grease fitting on the rocker beam at all 3 points!