Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #1

SUN #1030
paulr
sunline leaking at seam on tin.

Hello all, just bought a small 1986 16 foot saturn and thought it was in better shape than it was but when I got home I found some rot in the left front, well when I say some I mean oh my gosh am I going to have fun trying to fix this mess!!
So now that I have to window resealed and the seams resealed in the front, I now have spotted a leak at the seam where the tin fits together on the side to, and I am not sure how to go about fixing this. There are no holes, and the tin is not bent but it looks like the seam was not crimped good at the factory ( if they even crimped the seams) there is only about a 2 foot section that leaks when sprayed with a water hose, any suggestions on how to fix this?
I love the site by the way and will post some pics in the new member section when I get time.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Paul

Welcome to Sunline Owners Club

The siding seams, I myself do not know about the older ones. The newer ones, The siding is not crimped. It is formed and it attached up front the bottom. It lays opposite of house siding that starts at the bottom and lays up. On the RV siding it starts at the top and goes down. The seam is on the bottom of the sheet. When you stick the sheet below it up into the one above it creates a nested overlap that is almost impassable. So no crimping.

The older ones may be different. If they are the same, then there may be a hole in the overlap some how letting water in.

Can you pin point the problem area? Worst case some caulk of the right type can seal it. Non leveling Dicro is an option. It is roof caulk but it works on metal as well. There are others out there that some one else may be able to suggest. I do however caution to not use silicone. It just does not hold up to the flexing of the camper bouncing down the road and once you put it on, it is so slippery, nothing else will ever stick to it.

Good luck and hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #3

SUN #1030
paulr
thanks john, I am at work now and trying to reply on an iphone but as soon as I get home I will take a pic or two and post them of the seam leak, I hadn't thought of trying to calk it that is a good idea, I will also stop by the local rv place and see if they have some. It rained hard last night but didn't leak but we had no wind, 3 nights ago it came a storm and had some high winds and it leaked about a glass full of water in the bottom corner.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #4

SUN #1030
paulr
Worked so late last night didn't have time to post but got home early today, below is a pic of the seam that is leaking the stick is on the bottom and is pointed at where it leaks, I have tried to look on the outside and see if I can see any holes up under the seam but I can't find any.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #5

SUN #1030
paulr
well my image didn't show up Ill try again

well still didn't work, I guess just copy and past the link to see the pic.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/at...1bf646fb3a.jpg
Old 03-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #6

SUN #89
Hi Paul

Here is your pic

Just copy and paste the IMG code out of Photobucket and it will post. You picked one of the other options.

OK now where is the leak? I see the pic but it is hard to tell what I am looking at other them what looks like the inside of the camper looking out.

Do you mean what looks like a corrsion spot in the center of the pic, about ~ 2" long?

John

Old 03-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #7

SUN #1030
paulr
Yes, that is on the inside looking out, and this is where the water would come in when the wind would blow the rain up under the seam, but there was a staple hole on down toward the back of the camper that I couldn't see that was behind the paneling that I hadn't removed yet and the water was running down the seam until it came out here but once I pulled the rest of the paneling off I found the hole and put some sealer on it and ran a bead of sealer down the underside of the seam on the outside and that fixed my problem. Whew, glad the hunt for the leak is over, now I have a dry camper and can get started on putting it all back together.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #8

SUN #89
Hi Paul

Here is something for the future. This is where I bought mine.

http://www.bigrocksupply.com/roofing...9b56bf2e7cd6c1

It is called Eternabond and it is amazing stuff for doing leak repair on rubber roofs, aluminum, flashing etc. This stuff does not harden nor crack over time. It is sort of in a league of it's own. I use it over roof joints to prevent a leak and on my slide to seal out anything coming in a joint where putty tape was used.

Good luck and glad you found your leak source.

John

Here is the mfr link http://www.eternabond.com/