Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-13-2010, 07:36 PM   #1

SUN #1028
harbortj
still confused

Norm,
thanks for the reply but I think I am still missing something.
are you saying frig is lp and 12 volt or 110 or all three.
I'm not sure I understand your first 2 paragraphs.

As for the the frig pulling down the battery so quickly, I didn't explain that this period of time covered over a week.

As for the leveling, I understand how to level it. My concern is for the frig, is this one event enough to damage it?

thanks for the help, and sorry I didn't better explain the first time.

Searching for "Camp Somewhere"
Jimmy Buffet said it's always 5:00
but didn't give the location.
harbortj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #2

SUN #481
clueless campers is an unknown quantity at this point
Last year we bought one of those plastic things to hold the refridgerator/freezer doors open during storage. I went to the storage lot in the morning to turn the refridgerator on (propane) so it would be cold when we were ready to leave. The check light never came on so I thought all was ok. When I opened it to load food, the temperature was 70*!! and our power jack wouldn't work so we could hitch up. Apparently, the light in the fridge is running off the battery and that block keeps the doors open farther than the towel we had used before so the inside light comes on. Now we disconnect the battery when the doors are open during storage.

clueless campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:53 AM   #3

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Tim,

Depending on the equipment of your trailer, a battery will discharge overtime if the AC is not plugged in. Most appliances, hotwater tank, refrigerator, propane detectors and so forth draw a small amount of current from the battery. Overtime this ads up and will discharge the battery. DC lights will decidedly speed up the process and are true current hogs.

RV refrigerators work by heating the cooling gas. They can heat the gas three seperate ways – using propane, 110 VAC or 12 VDC. Most use just 110 VAC or Propane. 12VDC run refrigerators are rare because they use a lot of current. However all refrigerators when “On” draw current from the battery for the refridge controller board.

You did not mention if the propane was on when you parked. If the propane was off certainly no damagewas done to the refrigerator. If you're concerned you should plug the rig in and check. As well you should plug it in to recharge the battery. Batteries should not be left discharged.

When we park ours for any extended period over the summer we do shut off the water and propane but leave it plugged into electricity. This insures the battery is fully charged. Though we do not use our trailer much in the summer I'm always out there working on this or that.

Though we don't have a traditional RV Refrigerator we generally keep our trailer relatively level at all times.

Hope I did a better job this time and always glad to help out.
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #4

SUN #1028
harbortj
I think I got it

Norm,

You have been great and I appreciate your patience.
Yes, the LP tanks were closed, the lights were all out and radio off. and water heater is gas only.

Now that you mention it, I don't remember ever seeing a light in the frig even when we were using it. that would have been a great tip off to have noticed the frig was on or off. i will have to check that out.

I didn't see the need before to get the trailer level-wanted to have it ready at a moments notice to snatch and go.

I found a 2 x 10 last night and will cut it down to 4' sections and make a permanent "more level" spot for it.

I like your idea about keeping electricity to it can rig that up as well-hopefully I will have time tonight after I level it.

I feel better -didn't want to have to repair/replace the frig due to my ignorance.

thank you again for your time. Everyone here has been great.

Searching for "Camp Somewhere"
Jimmy Buffet said it's always 5:00
but didn't give the location.
harbortj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #5

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Generally smaller refridgerators do not have lights. The Bounder does in it's refrigerator but the original small refrige in our trailer did not.

When we make boards for our trailer we screw and glue a layer of plywood to the bottom. This helps prevent them from spliting.
Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote