Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-12-2020, 08:03 AM   #1

SUN #11059
Ketchakah is an unknown quantity at this point
Spongy floor

Hello all,
So now its spring and i am back to working on my trailer.

One of the issues is a spongy floor near the doorway. Im sure you all have talked about this but i have not figured out how to use the search function well as yet.

Whats under the floor tile ? How do i replace a section of the underfloor. Please link to me any posts, that would be great.

Thank you all for your help. ^^

Old 04-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Ketchakah,

A few tips to help. The embedded search feature in our forum software is not the greatest, but our admin created a Google Custom search for just the forum and it works very well.

See here for how to search and more info on the Google custom search https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...ics-11235.html

Bookmark the address of the Google Custom search for easy quick future reference. My signature also has the link.

Now to the spongy floor. Yes, spongy floors can and have happened. How they happen comes from a few different ways.

What is under the floor tile, OSB board. It it normally one large sheet the full length and width of the camper unless you have a very long camper. Some repairs you can cut out the bad section at a floor joist area and then replace just that section and maybe some of the floor joists. Other times, the damage goes up a wall, or under cabinets, couches etc. Each repair is a little different, but all can benefit from each other on the how to's.

If you can tell us the year and model of the camper that is a good start. Next is, how big is the spongy feeling? Try and describe and measure the area starting at the door. Pictures of the spongy area showing the walls, cabinets, doorway inside also helps.

There is a moisture meter that can scan down through the floor tile and read a wetness level to show where dry is and then starts to get wet. There may be wet areas that are not yet spongy. This link will take you to more on the meter. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...per-17613.html

Ideally you want to confirm the one or more leaks sources as best you can before taking the camper apart. Using the meter and confirming what is dry and what is not can help make sure you found and fixed all the leak spots to not damage the new floor you just put in.

Camper leaks can be tricky, a doorway floor leak can be as simple as water blew in the door gasket all the way to, the leak started at the roof line and came down the wall and stopped at the floor, rotting the floor out as it had nowhere else to drain out. And the wall and ceiling has water too even if you cannot see any inside the camper.

The moisture meter is a good tool that really helps find leaks in a camper. It can find the moisture before you ever see it or feel it. It can also help tell you how big the issue area is before you take it apart so you are better prepared for what may come.

Give us some more info to go on and we can help better.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:43 PM   #3

SUN #11059
Ketchakah is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello John,
Thank you for your very detailed reply, I have at least a starting point.

I am just preparing to get back into the rebuild of the camper, and i can get more info for you soon.

I had all the info, but it escapes me now. From what i can tell right now, its an
21 foot Satellite mid 80s vintage.

I will get more details.

Thank you again for the info to start.

Ketch