Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-18-2015, 04:27 PM   #1

SUN #3292
gmcc is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Slide Room trouble

For years I had my slide room put in and out using an electric drill because the motor had broken years previous. The motor was actually good but at some point the previous owner had hit something and made it so the motor was a little loose and broke the motor housing so there was no way to easily mount it back.

Anyway I finally went out and purchased a replacement motor and installed securely inline with the screw that moves the slide room.

The motor worked to move the slide room out but would not move it back in. I figured this was because the slide room needed to be lubricated. I lubricated it and manually moved the slide room in and out to get things loosened up.

Now I am not getting any voltage to the motor which at first seemed intermittent when I began to test the new motor.

So at this point I need to know how to trouble shoot the slide room circuit. The fuse at the power center is good. (checked with eye balls and multimeter)

The switch has 5 terminals. Outside to middle in one direction has continuity when pushed left and right side pushed outside to middle has continuity in the other direction. Not sure if that rules the switch out or not.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:43 PM   #2

SUN #3292
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcc View Post
For years I had my slide room put in and out using an electric drill because the motor had broken years previous. The motor was actually good but at some point the previous owner had hit something and made it so the motor was a little loose and broke the motor housing so there was no way to easily mount it back.

Anyway I finally went out and purchased a replacement motor and installed securely inline with the screw that moves the slide room.

The motor worked to move the slide room out but would not move it back in. I figured this was because the slide room needed to be lubricated. I lubricated it and manually moved the slide room in and out to get things loosened up.

Now I am not getting any voltage to the motor which at first seemed intermittent when I began to test the new motor.

So at this point I need to know how to trouble shoot the slide room circuit. The fuse at the power center is good. (checked with eye balls and multimeter)

The switch has 5 terminals. Outside to middle in one direction has continuity when pushed left and right side pushed outside to middle has continuity in the other direction. Not sure if that rules the switch out or not.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
More information:

- I have figured out that most likely I am dealing with a bad ground in the slide room circuit.

Why because when the button is pushed and I have a multimeter on the motor wires I get 12 volts but only if I go to ground with the other multimeter lead. This happens on either motor wire. If I go to both of the motor wires with the multimeter leads I do not get anything which should mean an open circuit. So I am getting power but not ground to the opposite side of the motor circuit.

I did run a positive wire from the battery to the motor and then grounded the opposite motor wire and the slide out motor moved the slide room perfectly.

So I can either trace down where the faulty ground wire is in the main ground of the slide room circuit or figure out which one of the wires is ground and just run a new ground and have fun snaking the wires through the wall up to the switch.

I prefer fixing the existing ground but if it is in the wall who knows...

Does anyone have detailed information on where the ground normally runs to for the slide room circuit on a T320SR ?

Old 07-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #3

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
12 v grounds are all common to the trailer frame. Your ground on the slide motor probably goes to the main trailer frame fairly close to the motor. John has a pretty thorough slide thread on here that you could search up.

IIRC: there should be three terminals/wires on the switch. { (ETA) not sure why five,unless needed for amperage???} One wire is the feed from the breaker, it should be on the middle terminal on the switch. The other two wires from the each end of the switch are both hot wires, one is "out", the other is "in". The motor should be grounded to the frame. Push the switch one way the slide extends. Push the switch other other direction and the motor reverses and the slide retracts.

Its been awhile since I meesed with it, so if I didn't remember correctly someone will be along shortly to straighten me out.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:12 PM   #4

SUN #3292
Fixed!

The problem 1 was me trying to make it too complicated.

Found the main ground wire for the slide out! The big white wire coming out of the same hole as the 2 wires that run to the slide out motor.

Started checking the main ground wire for the slide out and what do you know it was the terminal connecting it to the battery negative side. No corosion on the batery at all it was in the terminal to wire connection. Replaced the connection and the slide out works fine.

Just so we have it documented here is a description of the slide out circuit.

5 wires total

1 red 1 green 1 black 2 white.

Red and green run to either side of the electric slide motor.

Black is the positive wire

2 white wires are the ground which go to a wire nut connecting to the ground.

The Switch works in this way:

It directs positive to either red pushed one way and ground to the green.

Button pushed the other direction it directs positive to the green wire and ground to the red.

Each direction pushed reverses the flow of electricity through the electric motor moving it in either direction.

Thank you MACK C-85 for taking the time to respond!