Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #1

SUN #4645
Samber4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Shur flo Water pump

Morning, I have a 1985 Sunline Travel Trailer. I've been getting it ready for use, and other than having to buy a new battery it's almost there. My question is, I've filled the holding tank with water, about 3/4 full, when I turn the pump on no water comes out of the faucet. If I have a hose attached to the outside, water flows thru the faucet. The pump turns on, but nothing! I'm thinking that maybe there is something blocking the flow of water. Does this sound reasonable? Should I take the diaphragm out? If so, how should I proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The pump is a Shur flo model 200 pump. Sam

Old 07-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #2

SUN #246
Janalee
Your pump has most likely lost its prime. Try letting it run for a few minutes..just don 't let it get too hot and burn out. Some others will be along to add if this doesn't help you.! Janalee

'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Try this in this order:

The suction hose from the tank to the pump has a clog of some sorts in it. Unhook hose at the pump and look/blow air back towards the tank and see if it is open. Or try pouring water into the hose and see if it goes back down.

Try manually priming the pump. This can be hard to do some times pending how the pump and how it is mounted. I have been able to unhook the suction hose, power water in the hose, try and put some in the pump, hook it back up and then it takes off and pumps. Put this is a sign the end is near.

If you cannot prime it due to mounting, get a temporary piece of hose, hook to pump suction, put hose in a bucket of water about level with the pump or slight up hill and try it. It then does not have to suck up hill at least. This will tell you the pump at least does pump.

The check valves in the pump leak and will not allow the prime to start. Or the check valves have dirt in them. Or the diaphragm is shot. At this point you have exhausted the priming part and it will not pump so it has to come apart. Dirt might be the problem or the check valves are worn/damaged and will not hold. Or the diaphragm has a hole in it. They do sell rebuild kits or a new pump head if the pump is new enough. Worst case they do sell total new motor and pumps.

If you actually get it pumping and it keeps loosing prime or next time out camping will not prime, the check valves/diaphragm are getting weak and a rebuild or new pump is in order. It will drive you nuts if it keep loosing prime. If you buy a new pump or even after this eposide, get a inline pump suction strainers. Shurflo makes then, don't cost much, save a lot of heartache.

Dirt is the enemy of these pumps. If it sucks up some dirt of any kind from the tank, life is not good there after. Many/most pumps never had the suction strainer. Neither of my 2004 Sunlines ever had a strainer from the factory. They do now.

Hope this helps and good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #4

SUN #4645
Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samber4 View Post
Morning, I have a 1985 Sunline Travel Trailer. I've been getting it ready for use, and other than having to buy a new battery it's almost there. My question is, I've filled the holding tank with water, about 3/4 full, when I turn the pump on no water comes out of the faucet. If I have a hose attached to the outside, water flows thru the faucet. The pump turns on, but nothing! I'm thinking that maybe there is something blocking the flow of water. Does this sound reasonable? Should I take the diaphragm out? If so, how should I proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The pump is a Shur flo model 200 pump. Sam
Thanks everyone for the tips. I try them this week end
Old 07-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #5

SUN #4645
Water pump

Thanks again