Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #1

SUN #1155
Featherock is an unknown quantity at this point
Rusty Roof Vents

Hello everyone,
Have gotten a lot of great help here, so I'm hoping some of you seasoned people can offer more good advice. Have a Solaris T-2363 that has rust on exterior metal vent frames. I think they are aluminum. Doing just an overall/ overhaul of roof clean up and maintenance. My question concerns eternabond. If I remove the vent frames and remove the rust and spray paint them, will the etrnabond adhere to the part I will have to overlap when I reinstall them. I realize the adhesion will only be as good as the spray paint sticks but just wondering if anyone has done this and if it worked out for them....Also all of the original self-leveling caulk around the screws and fixtures is terribly cracked. The Solaris is dry as a bone inside so no leaks. Should I remove all of the old stuff anyway before applying the eternabond, leave it alone and cover with eternabond or remove, reapply self leveling caulk and then apply eternabond. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #2

SUN #597
henryj
Vent Replacement

Hi Featherock,

According to JohnB, Sunline got a bad batch of vents. Sorry to hear you've been bitten by the same problem. The vent frames are galvanized steel. I would not mess with trying to extend their life. Vents are a pain to remove and easy to bend as they are being pried up. IMHO you're far better to ditch the defective ones and maybe even put in a new Maxxair fan.

See my post, which also references JohnB's original post about replacing his defective vents with lots of pictures and a second post by JohnB for installing a Maxxair fan overtop one of the vents. These posts will give you all the info you need--use butyl putty tape and Dicor Self leveling caulk, not Eternabond. Several members have done vent replacements so ask away with any other questions.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...hlight=maxxair

Don't forget to put some boards and/or 1/2" plywood on the roof to make a work area.

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:41 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Featherrock

See this post it make help cure any fears about replacing the entire vent.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...pics-8922.html

I agree with Henry. Replace the entire vent flange and cover. They now make life time ones made out of polycarbonate plastic on the dome. Camco makes them. http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40168-Ventline-Unbreakable-Polycarbonate/dp/B0006JLU1I/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1277782393&sr= 1-7

But I can’t find one with the metal flange, maybe it is only marketed as the dome replacement.

I did not know about the Camco ones and bought the Ventline. Still good just it has a polypropylene cover in place of the polycarbonate.
RVUpgradeStore - Ventline Non-Powered Vent w/ Garnish, White

The metal rusting flange is steel. And corrosion (rust) is a chemical reaction. Once it starts it just keeps going unless you stall the process. It takes oxygen, moisture and steel and rust just keep going until there is nothing left. If you get 100% ride of the O2 and H20 and get ride of any traces of rust it will stop. But that is hard on a vent dome….

Use Butyl rubber tape, not putty tape when sealing to the roof. The Butyl costs a little more but is far superior. And then use Dicor self leveling caulk around the edge and over the screw heads. Then if you still want more protection against aging Dicor, once the Dicro cures you can use Eternabond over the edges right up the the vertical part of the vent flange.

But I would not use the Eternabond over the rusted metal. The Eternbond is real good stuff but the vent is still rusting under it and sooner or later it will rot out.

Hope this helps and good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:17 AM   #4

SUN #1155
Featherock is an unknown quantity at this point
You came through for me again fellas. Thanks a lot. I'll just replace them all. They are all rusting.