Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-29-2016, 06:34 PM   #1

SUN #8962
Tazz is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Roof questions

I just bought a 1984 17 foot Sunline. Haven't found which model it is yet. It is my first camper. The roof is original and has been leaking around roof vents and toilet tank vents and vent above fridge. I have removed all old caulk and bought new vents. I also removed the side trim where awning slides in and bought new roll caulk for it and new trim for all corners. I want to coat whole roof to get many years out of it. What's everyone thoughts on using Black Jack 1000 white siliconized elastomeric coating. I also will have to replace front section of roof inside. What is best to use to seal new plywood and dark Stan it for walls and ceiling. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (54.8 KB, 7 views)

Old 10-30-2016, 06:20 PM   #2

SUN #8962
Forgot to mention it has a aluminum roof.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:35 PM   #3

SUN #3127
RichieRich is an unknown quantity at this point
Let me tell you what I did as I am not familiar with the product you mentioned . I also have an older Sunline travel trailer that had a leaking roof . First I removed all the roof vents , covers , etc . Second ,I removed all the old cracked caulking , cleaned area then used Dicor self leveling sealant , used 4 tubes . Third , I washed roof with a special cleaning solution to prep for Dicor rubber roof coating , used 2 gallons . It has been only 3 years since the work was completed and the roof still looks brand new . I have just a little water damaged in the bedroom ceiling corner , this work stopped that from getting worse . Very satisfied with the products I used .
Old 10-31-2016, 08:21 PM   #4

SUN #8962
Thank you for the information Rich, what kind of solution did you use to clean roof, I got all the vents installed today but the fridge vent. The leak has done its damage though, I ripped inside roof paneling down from bathroom forward, all rafters are okay but two which I will replace. Water come in through fridge top vent and run all the way across paneling to front left corner and to door. Ripped up floor all the way back to dry and clean floor. Have definitely learned some lessons on what to check for when buying one. But I know when I'm done with it, it will be solid.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:01 PM   #5

SUN #3127
RichieRich is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Tazz ,
Sorry to say I might be giving you some bad info as my roof is rubber not aluminum as you mentioned , my oversite . I will hand this off to another person that has knowledge dealing with your specific issue.