Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #1

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
roof maintenence

I wanted to reseal the joints on the roof of our T1350. It was already sealed (sorta), mostly by previous owner(s) using silicones and other products that eventually dried up and cracked. It never did leak, but why tempt fate.

Being a small trailer and smaller roof and not being all that young anymore just getting up there and down, not to mention moving around between vents and AC unit was a challenge.

I went up there with a screw driver, hammer, scrapper (putty knife) and started to dig and chip away the old junk. It took a couple of hours but 99.9% cleaned off. Brushed off all the old dust and dirt. and masked the two sides for each seam end-to-end.

Here's the GOOD NEWS. I went to a couple of local well known RV shops and they recommended a couple of specific products for this project, self leveling too. I didn't want to spend over $100 just to do this job.

I searched and search and found that Rust-Oleum, makers of Tremclad had their version of a spray on sealer Like that guy on TV that sprays his row boat. This stuff is called Leak Seal.

I sprayed on the two coats waiting the appropriate amount of time and you can actually see that stuff bubble or effervesce and it soaks or sinks into the seams.

They say it takes 15 to 30 minutes to cure.
It's flexible and paintable. I just finished the entire job and wouldn't you know it, it started to rain .

I'll wait a day or two and paint the entire roof with that Tremclad "Recreational White", kind of a beige color.

That one can did all the seams and few other spots and I still have some left over $12 CDN.

I'm impressed.
If you don't mind a little elbow grease you can have that perfectly sealed roof. I found also that this stuff, because it sprays on and doesn't go on like a tube of caulking, that there's no lumping up

Disclaimer: I didn't want this post to come across as a product endorsement but rather how many of us with older trailers can do a perfect job on a slight budget.

This will also give you that opportunity to inspect the rest of your roof for cracked or broken vents and see how good or how bad those putty gaskets are

Old 05-10-2014, 04:19 AM   #2

SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
another 1350 now that makes 3 here (that i know of). mine's an 83. welcome

Old 05-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #3

SUN #4364
dtstanton is an unknown quantity at this point
...and ours would make 3. Don't know if there are any more here.

TT: 1988 Sunline T-1350
TV: 2003 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3L
dtstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #4

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Just for giggles let's compare between them and see what we have and what came standard.
  • water heater
  • fresh water tank w/pump, plus exterior tap water input
  • black and gray water tank
  • AC with a heater in the unit.
  • Propane heater
  • 2 way fridge
  • Bathroom sink, hot & cold
  • toilet and a shower (our shower was removed before we bought the trailer).
  • exterior deep cycle battery for stand alone DC power
  • power converter with a great heavy duty 50ft cable
  • roll out awning.
Like I said I don't know what came as a factory install or what came as an aftermarket.
To me it's like have that classic car. There's always something we find that need tweaking. This summer I plan to remove all existing exterior body screws and install all new stainless screws and maybe a very slight size bigger to assure a secure fastening

We love our T1350 but at times we consider it a wee bit small. That said, we remind ourselves that we bought the smaller trailer for traveling because of the light weight. If we decided to camp at one nearby camp ground and that's it, we'd obviously have a larger trailer. Can't have it both ways

I would really like to poll the other members to see who else might have a T1350

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:33 AM   #5

SUN #4364
dtstanton is an unknown quantity at this point
Jon (Sunline Fan) may know how many member have them. Ours has had the original fridge replaced with an apartment-size 110v fridge and microwave. Also, I've added a Jack TV antenna (not crank-up) to ours. Other than that, it's the same.

TT: 1988 Sunline T-1350
TV: 2003 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3L
dtstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #6

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
J..J,
Go to the file tab and then to the brochures for your year. You should be able to answer your question on stock verses after market.

P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote