Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #1

SUN #151
campin'dude
Roof Damage From Storm

Well, it was bound to happen living among acres of woods... We had a really intense thunderstorm yesterday afternoon and the wind picked up for about 15-20 seconds and blew harder than I can ever remember witnessing. In hindsight, I should have probably headed for the basement rather than standing at the door looking out the side window in absolute amazement! In that 15-20 seconds, we lost at least 5 trees with 3 of them on our driveway. The biggest one, an oak, uprooted and just missed our garage. However, a large branch caught the Sunline and put a nice dent in the gutter, put a depression in the edge of the roof panel in front of the awning (but the rubber looks OK), punched a quarter-sized hole in the roof in the front center and peeled back a half-dollar sized piece the roof back near the A/C unit. I have an Adco cover with a Tyvek roof panel on the trailer so that probably minimized the damage. Even though it kept raining afterwards, I got the limb off within 10-15 minutes, covered the holes with duct tape and and put a tarp over the top so I don't think much water was able to get into the damaged areas.

So, should I call the insurance company and file a claim or just buy some Eternabond tape and fix it myself? We have Erie Insurance with a $100 comprehensive deductible... Any ballpark idea what a shop will charge? If I claim it, am I better off just having it patched and leaving the factory roof in place or should I ask them to have the entire roof replaced (will the insurance co. even give me that option)? Is the gutter something that can replaced fairly easily or will we just have to bend it back in place as much as possible? Should the edge of the roof where the main part of the branch landed and left the depression be pulled up and inspected? The trailer is a 2007 so the roof is in pretty good shape since I keep it covered most of the time. I just want to make sure it's fixed right so we don't have any leaks down the road. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the lack of damage pics... I'll try to get some later today. I spent the evening cutting wood so we could get out of our driveway.

Work sucks, let's go camping!
campin'dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:43 AM   #2

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by campin'dude View Post
However, a large branch caught the Sunline and put a nice dent in the gutter, put a depression in the edge of the roof panel in front of the awning (but the rubber looks OK), punched a quarter-sized hole in the roof in the front center and peeled back a half-dollar sized piece the roof back near the A/C .
I would still file a claim. Do to the age of trailer insurance will probaply just patch roof. I would have it inspected to make sure there is no hidden structual damage in the area of gutter and depression. By filing a claim if some thing pops up a few months from now your covered.

Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #3

SUN #151
campin'dude
Jim, thanks for replying...

I went ahead and filed a claim with the insurance. The adjuster is supposed to contact me on Monday. Now, I just need to find a good shop in the DC/MD/VA area to fix the roof. Any suggestions?

Old 06-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #4

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Greg you may want to PM ~ EMD Driver (Gary) and find out the name of his roof repairman......everyone says he is excellent
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #5

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
OUCH !!! Sorry to hear about the damage. Sounds like you took good quick action to reduce any further damage from the water. Hope things work out ok and you can get it repaired quickly.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #6

SUN #151
campin'dude
The insurance adjuster came today and looked it over... we found more damage than I originally saw. There are at least 6 spots where the limb landed and either put a hole, damaged the surface or the luan below. Also, the TV antenna is bent, one of the awning brackets is cracked and the aluminum rail that runs down the edge of the roof is bent in 2 places. The adjuster says it may need a whole new roof. I am going to take it to a local RV dealer, Economy RVs in Mechanicsville, MD on Friday to get an estimate.

It sounds like our Sunny is going to be out of commission for a little while...

Old 07-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #7

SUN #237
Capt Skup
I do not know the quality of work that Economy RV does but the mentioned rv repairman does excellant work. He replaced the roof on our 2003 Sunline Fifth wheel going on two years ago and it still looks new. Better job than Sunline itself. Truthfully Sunline did not build a very durable, strong roof system. When you peel back the rubber roof mat that is up there you may be surprised what Sunline installed under it. Basically a thick cardboard mat. Now I have a 5/8" tongue and groove roof that I can safely walk on to clean and inspect. I could not be happier with the quality of work and the very fair price I paid. If ever our Sunline needs attention that I myself cannot do, I know where I will go.
Capt Skup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #8

SUN #151
campin'dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Skup View Post
I do not know the quality of work that Economy RV does but the mentioned rv repairman does excellant work. He replaced the roof on our 2003 Sunline Fifth wheel going on two years ago and it still looks new. Better job than Sunline itself. Truthfully Sunline did not build a very durable, strong roof system. When you peel back the rubber roof mat that is up there you may be surprised what Sunline installed under it. Basically a thick cardboard mat. Now I have a 5/8" tongue and groove roof that I can safely walk on to clean and inspect. I could not be happier with the quality of work and the very fair price I paid. If ever our Sunline needs attention that I myself cannot do, I know where I will go.
Hey Capt, thanks for the info... I really thought about taking it to the same guy or a large shop like Beckley's RV in Thurmont, MD. But, in talking with my ins. adjuster, he recommended Economy since he knows the service manager and can easily go there to discuss the repair. I have also talked with other RV owners that have had service work done and they were very satisfied. I also like that they are local so I can "pop-in" to see how things are progressing.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #9

SUN #151
campin'dude
I recieved the estimate from the repair shop to fix the tree damage... $7600! They are going to completely remove and replace everything on the roof including the subsurface material as well as replace the TV antenna and broken awning parts. The ins. adjuster said they would have probably totaled many 2007 trailers for that amount but ours was in such good shape and has retained it's value so well that they will pay to fix it. The new roof material has a 12 yr. warranty and Economy RV gives us a 1 yr. warranty on the sealing process. Repair is supposed to take 2-3 weeks... I'm figuring 4.

I have to give a recommendation to Erie Insurance if you aren't satisfied with your current insurance co. They have handled our claim with complete professionalism and never once tried to "cheap us out" and cut corners. After we found their rates were cheaper than the gecko, we switched over to them over a year ago and we are extremely satisifed with the service.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #10

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by campin'dude View Post
The ins. adjuster said they would have probably totaled many 2007 trailers for that amount but ours was in such good shape and has retained it's value so well that they will pay to fix it. The new roof material has a 12 yr. warranty and Economy RV gives us a 1 yr. warranty on the sealing process. Repair is supposed to take 2-3 weeks... I'm figuring 4.
Awesome, great news! The Sunline advantage right there!
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #11

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
I love to see stories turn out good like that.

How about some before and after pictures? ..... and during?

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #12

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Happy that the Sunline will be good as new!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #13

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I have to give a recommendation to Erie Insurance if you aren't satisfied with your current insurance co. They have handled our claim with complete professionalism and never once tried to "cheap us out" and cut corners. After we found their rates were cheaper than the gecko, we switched over to them over a year ago and we are extremely satisifed with the service.
We'll second this. Have had Erie Insurance on cars for 35 years, best rates around and never had a problem with a claim.

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote