Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #1

SUN #10
wagonman76
Roof coating/sealer

I have 2 gallons of this "Sears Fibered Aluminum Roof Coating".

I have thought about putting this on the roof for extra sealing. The roof is currently a dirty white painted aluminum.

Some have said to use mobile home roof paint. Is this the same thing? On the can it says it contains some asphalt, and can be used on lots of things including mobile home roofs, trailer roofs.

1989 Sunline Saturn T-1661
wagonman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Roof coating/sealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76
I have 2 gallons of this "Sears Fibered Aluminum Roof Coating".

I have thought about putting this on the roof for extra sealing. The roof is currently a dirty white painted aluminum.

Some have said to use mobile home roof paint. Is this the same thing? On the can it says it contains some asphalt, and can be used on lots of things including mobile home roofs, trailer roofs.
That stuff is just fine. It pretty is much "mobile home roof paint" anyway.

Scrub the roof real well with a medium bristle brush and soap and water. Rinse well. Scrape off any flaky paint. Replace rusted screws if you can see them. Let it dry thoroughly.

Mask off the body so you don't get any on the aluminum sides or in the gutters. Use a 4" to 6" cheapie brush that you can toss when you're done. Wear old ratty clothes and shoes. If you have to walk on the roof use a 4x4 piece of 1/2" plywood to span the joists and distribute your weight.

Mix it real well before starting. You should be able to do the whole roof of your trailer with one gallon and maybe have some left over.

The stuff behaves more like driveway sealer than paint...

First give all the seams and edges a good coat. Wrap your brush in saran wrap and go have a beverage of your choice and lunch. Then come back and paint the whole roof including the seams and edges that you already did. If you want to give the seams and edges a third coat, wrap your brush up and have dinner. Then come back and finish it off.

Toss the brush and you are done. When I had a metal roofed trailer, I got about 4 or 5 years between coatings. It should be checked a couple of times a year to make sure it's not flaking or peeling.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:55 PM   #3

SUN #10
wagonman76
Hey thanks for the tips.

What do you mean when you say it behaves more like driveway sealer? I've never had a paved driveway in my life so I've never used sealer.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:03 PM   #4

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Hey thanks for the tips.

What do you mean when you say it behaves more like driveway sealer? I've never had a paved driveway in my life so I've never used sealer.
It's thick and gooey and won't behave like paint. The brush they use to put this stuff on mobile homes looks and acts more like a floor mop than an paint brush. And it's on a 5 ft. handle.

It'll just take a few brush strokes to figure it out...

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I've never had a paved driveway in my life so I've never used sealer.
I can relate to this comment. Just finished picking up the zillon stones from the gravel driveway from snow plowing... I guess I don't have to worry about doing the sealer trick....

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #6

SUN #10
wagonman76
Thanks for the tips, I pretty much got it done. First I went through and chipped/peeled off all the old aluminum paint around the vents that was ages old and was falling off anyway (surprised it wasn't leaking). Then I caulked them really good, and put some caulk along the seams along both sides. I let it dry for several days. I can crawl on the roof just fine, and I do prefer to stay on the crossbraces but no damage if I stray from them.

I had to stir the can for probably a half hour before it all mixed evenly and smoothed out, then it appeared to be just fine. I had gotten these two cans a couple years ago at the Salvation Army for $1 each. This is what I had wanted to use them for.

It went on really well. I see what you mean about how it goes on thick. It was a bronze color in the can and going on but turned to silver as it dried. I ended up using a 1 1/2" brush because I figured I'd just be careful along the edges and make a nice line in the siding at the front and back. Plus I could pay better attention to the seams. The roof isn't that big so it didn't take me that long. I got 2 good coats on the seams, then went over the whole thing, working myself to the corner where the ladder was. I didn't want to have to walk on it to go over the seams again when it was tacky. I still have 1/2 of the first can left.

I did it Monday morning, Monday night it started raining and hasn't quit except it's accumulating snow now. No leaks on the inside. I may go over the seams again sometime but I think it should be better than it was.