Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #1

SUN #19
Sunline1
Rims/Air pressure ???

I have a 2002 model#2975 Sunline, with 5 in (width) rims, 205 75R 15 LRC (50PSI), tires, I want increase to LRD (65PSI) tires, are my stock factory steel RIMs good for the 65 PSI. Anyone know ?? Any info appreciated. I know I asked this question about the air pressure before and didn't get a concrete answer just curious if anyone found out for sure. thanks Sunline1

2002 Sunline model T-2975 (large Bath)
Sunline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:26 PM   #2

SUN #44
SanDimasJoe
Sunline1,

I know emam, a member on this site has put ST225/75R/15 10ply rating tires on his 2499. He puts 65 psi in his tires. I upgraded to Denman 205/75R/15 8 ply rated tires that also call for 65 psi. I haven't taken my trailer out yet with the new tires but "emam" has put thousands of miles on his trailer with no ill effects. I expect the same from mine. Incidently, the rims do call for 50 psi. This is stamped on the inside of the rim.

Joe

SanDimasJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:41 PM   #3

SUN #385
Hematite
If the rims are rated for 50# of pressure, then that is what you are supposed to use, as a maximum. Everything that has a rating also has a margin of safety built in. If you put more pressure than the rating then you are just using up this margin of safety. Does it mean that the wheel will fail? I suppose that depends on what the margin of safety is. In short, anytime you exceed ratings of anything you are taking a chance. I wouldn't advise exceeding any rating.

Another very important thing to consider, your tires are your primary shock absorber. In the case of any trailer, it's your only shock absorber! If you have Soft Ride suspension, you may get away with higher pressures and not do damage to the structure of your Sunline. If you have leaf springs, you are going to pound the structure unmercifully with higher tire pressures. Even going to a higher ply rating, alone, will increase harshness of ride. I will probably upgrade my tires, when the time comes, to a higher ply rated tire but I will still only use the recommended 50 lbs of pressure.

We probably need the advice of a tire expert, but the 50 lbs pressure is for the max load of, say, 7000lbs. If you travel light and don't carry a lot in the Sunline, I doubt that you need even that much pressure. It's pretty much like any other vehicle, there is a right and a wrong pressure for different load conditions. I simply don't consider higher ply ratings and higher pressures to be a substitute for tire quality.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:07 PM   #4

SUN #19
Sunline1
SanDimasJoe

Just curious where are your Denman tires made ? Did you buy 4 or 5 ?
I think the 8 plys have just a little bit bigger Diameter than the 6 ply. don't know if it will make any difference or not.

If I'm not being too nosey, how much did you pay for the 8 ply Denman's.
I really like the idea of increasing the tire load capacity, hopefully the tire will run cooler etc ?

Rick

I don't think, more plys and higher presures are a substitute for tire quality. My thinking is that I have my Sunline pretty well loaded, quite a bit of weight. I belive that a tire with a higher load capacity will in turn run cooler, than the original LRC, from the factory for the same load (trailer). Both of the tread seperation flats I have had were on 85-90 degree days at 60-65 mph. So right or wrong thats my thinking at this time.

Sunline1
Old 07-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #5

SUN #44
SanDimasJoe
Sunline1,

I bought 4 tires because 2 of the original tires blew out. The tires are manufactured in Mexico and the diameter of the 8 ply is the same as the 6 ply, 27 1/2". These tires cost me $95 each plus tax and balancing. Incidently the original Mission tires were not balanced. I, like you think that the best insurance for any vehicle is a good tire. I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't want to go low bid on something like tires.

Joe
SanDimasJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #6

SUN #385
Hematite
Sunline1,

If you do run very near your GVWR limit, I can understand your interest in the next heavier duty load range. They do add some extra capacity over the stock load range. Just keep an eye on the wheels if you do go over their rated pressure limit.

I will say that right now, of all the tires I've seen for ST use, the Denmans are the ones that I would go with!

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:37 AM   #7

SUN #19
Sunline1
Thanks All for your insight/info/advise/etc.

I don't know about anyone else but this tire stuff is very confusing and complcated to me.

Maybe I should have just went to a tire dealer and said put 4 tires on it and take my chances. I wunder how many people do that ?

I think I've gained some insite as to what to do, now I just have to do it.

Happy Camping !!!

Sunline1