Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #1

SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
replacing hwh tank only, opinions? pros, cons

i'm replacing my hot water heater, atwood 4 gal, with a 6 gallon atwood, and I was looking into only replacing the tank, the silver tank. Has anyone done this and can recommend or not recommend doing this? I'm told that the 6 gall will easily replace the 4 gal and the rest of the hwh parts function properly.

I found tanks on ebay.

thanks for any insights,
noralee

Old 05-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes it can be done. You will have to barrow a tool or fabricate one to drive the retaining ring for the tank on and I can't tell you if the gas parts will fit the pipe in the new bigger tank. The replacement tank is close to the price of the entire heater and if it has a lot of age to it the frame work is most likely pretty rusty. The labor is more intensive then just replacing the heater as you have to remove the heater then replace the tank and put it back in. I also would be leery of eBay replacement tanks listed for cheap money the word “China” comes to mind. I priced an OEM tank some years ago and it was right around $200.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:44 AM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
If the original heater controls are all original from 1983, considering an all new heater may prove to be a longer term better value.

The labor to install just a tank as mainah stated, will be more than just installing new heater. While you may save some on reusing the old parts at the initital install, often times once you distrub something that old, the gas valve, the burner, the saftey relief valve, it does not want to seem to work correct again for the long term. So when it stops working with no warranty at all, you have to pay again for a new gas valve or controls as you have a brand new tank. End result is it can cost more later than an entire new heater with a fresh warranty from the get go.

I know money is always tight and understand that position, the realtity can be if they are 1983 gas controls and they still work, your lucky. How many more years will the seals and other elastomers in that old valve keep working? 1 year, 5 years, 2 months?

Part of this is, how long will I keep this camper? 6 months, 3 years, 6 years? How long may play a part of this decision too.

Good luck and hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #4

SUN #1340
Drake is an unknown quantity at this point
You want your water heater working and working well. As Mainah said... replace the whole unit and save yourself a lot of headaches!