Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #1

SUN #880
ronnyr
refrigerator question

Hi, As I am readying my camper for its first trip, I noticed some wet insulation around where the propane lines run into the refrigerator from the bottom, underneath the coach. I am perplexed as to where the water is coming from. It is beneath the refrigerator, so I went to my owner's manual to see if there was anything that might help explain it. It looks as though there might be a drain hose that runs through the floor? Is this correct, or does the drain hose run out the back of the refrigerator? Any help would be appreciated. Ronny

Old 07-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #2

SUN #28
sunnyseagull
there is a drain hose that comes out the back of the fridge it usally drains threw the vents that are in the access panel on the outside of the camper for the fridge. you may want to check that it didnt get tucked back in there and is now draining right into the compartment behind the fridge. good luck Dan

Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #3

SUN #763
MOKID
Drain Hose

Hey Guys

I noticed the drain hose on the vent but I have never seen a drop of water come out of it. Should there be water dripping out when I run the Fridge.
2014 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x4 Eco Boost
2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Motorhome
MOKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #4

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes there should be some - not a lot unless the humidity is really high.
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #5

SUN #880
ronnyr
Thanks all. Found the drain hose on the back of the refrigerator. I am still wondering why the installation and operation instructions for the refrigerator say on page 6 "a hole must be drilled through the flooring" for the drain water hose. It implies I believe, that the hose is routed through the floor. Does this make sense?
Anyway, I have been repairing the membrane underneath the coach and found this wet insulation around the propane pipes that go to the refrigerator. I have not opened up completely yet, because it started raining so I had to quit. (I do not have a carport or garage to park under yet)
When I purchased the coach, about a month ago, the previous owner made it impossible to look underneath. I bought it anyway, hoping the damage underneath was not too bad. I later found out the entire membrane had been cut away and sort of replaced. I am now attempting to better secure what is there. In the process, I have been inspecting everything underneath, looking for other damage or problems. So that is how I found the soggy insulation, and now only a few days before I am to leave, I am hoping to resolve it. I will pull the membrane off a little further and investigate.
I have reservations at a campground in Colorado Springs for Jul. 31 and Aug. 1, so I can attend my stepson's wedding. I then plan to circle through the Midwest to visit family before heading back to Florida, so I am running out of time for fixing at this point. May have to wait until I return. thanks all for your help. Ronny
Old 07-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #6

SUN #597
henryj
Remember that most of the info in the owner's manual is generic and provided by the appliance manufacturer. While routing the drain underneath the camper may be a neater solution I can live with it the way Sunline did it. The only time I see water running out the side access panel is after shutting the fridge off at home at the end of a trip--almost like it's defrosting. I know some people leave their fridge on ready for the next trip, but that begs the question--does it need to be defrosted?? ...especially in a humid summer?

Anyway, you've got lots of humid weather in FL. Run the fridge for a couple of days and then shut it off to see where and if there's water coming out--it'll take maybe 20-30 min for the ice to melt, but you should see the first drops before that. Do you have a "leak" or gap that somehow is leading the fridge water down the inside of the wall?

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #7

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
The only frost or condensation build-up that happens in my fridge (same year and model TT as Ronny's) is on the aluminum fins inside the unit in the fridge section. There is a small plastic catch basin below them, and it drains directly to the little pipe being discussed here.

Like Henry, ours really only dribbles after shutting the unit off. We tend to get a small buildup of ice/water on the fins over one or two weeks useage, especially during humid periods of weather. Not enough to block the fins, but there is a buildup.

Even though there is "filter" designed to keep critters out of that pipe, I'd recommend making sure that it isn't blocked. Pour a bit of water in the catch basin and see if it dribbles out where you'd like it to go.

Remember that the main fresh water tank, pump, fills for both city water and fresh water tank, fresh water tank drain, bathroom sink and toilet, and piping in between are all on that side of this model within a couple feet of the fridge. There are plenty of other sources of water leakage there.

The only penetrations of the belly membrane under the fridge are: the propane line to the fridge, wiring, and hard ground line. There are no factory installed drain points on mine, either.

One other possibility. The shore line door is directly under the fridge. As we all know, the opening for the shore line is much larger than the cable itself. If water gets in that door, it drops immediately to the floor of the trailer, and would seek the first opening in the floor it finds. That may well be the propane line or the wiring since they are within inches of other. That could well account for wet insulation there.

It is an easy check, open the door and reach in there. There are no exposed wires, just wooden walls, floor, and shore line. If the floor is wet, it doesn't necessarily prove that the water is coming from the shore line door, but it does narrow the search. Also check the walls and ceiling in that compartment for moisture. If they're wet, then the source is likely not the door.

My fix for that shoreline door is to place a short section of pipe insulation on the cable, and wrap with some electric tape to keep it on the cable. It can slide on the cable but won't come off. Just center it in the opening and make sure the cable and insulation dangle down.

Also, remove the drawers under the pantry and see if there is any moisture there, too. The city water hookup comes in there and could easily be a source of moisture.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #8

SUN #880
ronnyr
The refrig drain hose was clogged. Will test that to see if it's working properly now that I cleaned it. Looked under the pantry and there is a connection that is questionable. I will have to hook up the water to see if it is leaking.
The water tank has been half full since I purchased the camper, and I can't find any evidence of any leaking beneath the couch. Where is the the valve to empty the tank?
The shore line hook up could be a problem. I couldn't really see in there, but it does have its issues. I like your fix for that. I have been trying to think of a way to remedy that problem. I like the old trailers with the little door that shuts on top of them. I don't know why they didn't put something like that on these.
I still need to climb back underneath and get a better look at the wet insulation. I didn't have a flashlight as I was taping places that were exposed and it started to rain when I noticed the wet insulation. Maybe there is some wet wood that I didn't see. when I found it, I just associated it with the refrigerator since it was right above. I still will have to fill that pan and make sure it drains properly too. thanks for the help. It gave me a few more places to think about. Ronny
Old 07-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #9

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyr
Where is the the valve to empty the tank?
Outside the trailer, just to the left of the furnace and a couple of inches up from the bottom should be a little plastic faucet. That's the drain for the fresh water tank. Looks like this: http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Drain-Cock_p_11105.html

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote