Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-06-2011, 04:47 AM   #1

SUN #2368
moose is an unknown quantity at this point
Refrigerator measurments

We love our 15' Sunline but want a little more space so we are thinking of buying a 1892 21' Sunline. This has a regular electric refrigerator installed in the opening. We are interester in installing an rv one. Brochure shows a 6 cu ft. However the measurements do not line up with a 6 cu ft.
Can someone send me the dimensions of the opening of a 21' trailer or which refrigerator model number installed. We ar short on width for installation. It looks like the opening on this trailer we are looking at is only 23" wide total, wall to wall. Thanks for any information or help

Old 09-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi moose, welcome to the Sunline Club.

I have a 6 cu ft fridge (Dometic RM2652) in my T2363 and I wold go out and measure it but at the moment it is pouring out. I found a listing online with the dimensions. 53-3/4H x 23-11/16W x 24D. That is just a bit wider than the 23 inches you mentioned but part of that may be the front and not the box that goes in the opening. I will measure when it stops raining.

Here is a link to what I found online:
Dometic RV Refrigerators

This page has a bunch of other Dometic models:
Dometic RV Refrigerators

Gene

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #3

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
The rain has slowed so I went out. Hard to get a measure from the outside opening but it measures about 27 inches wall to wall in mine with 2 inches of fiberglass insulation on each side so the box itself is about 23 inches or a little more. You do need that insulation on the sides and top. Inside, the plastic trim that covers the actual opening is about 24 3/4 inches to the outside edges. Hopefully someone with a 21' trailer can jump in and post their fridge model number and maybe a measurement.

There are several here that have a home style fridge and are quite pleased with them.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:41 AM   #4

SUN #2368
moose is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Gene for the info, Camping World gave us some info for the replacement for the original refrigerator, with the dimensions we have. I do not have the info near me right now, but I think it was as 2510 model. We just like have the 2 way because we usually drive about 5 to 6 hours where we like in New Hampshire and Maine.

We loved the floor plan of the 21' because it had the twin lounge beds in back but passed on it because of price he wanted and the extra cost to buy a new refrigerator. We felt was too much. We are hoping to keep looking for a 21' in good condition or a 17' or 19' mainly because of the 25 gal black and gray tanks verus the 6 gal in the 15'.
Carol and Stash
Old 09-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #5

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I think you'll find this is a common thing with older trailers. People simply replace the dead units with the electric only models probably due to cost. If I were to take a random sample of (50) 1980s Sunlines, probably 30 would have electric dorm refrigerators, 15 would still have the original refrigerator (even if the ad says it doesn't work), and the remaining 5 (which may be high) will have a replacement RV refrigerator. It's a shame that the market hasn't reacted negatively toward this type of replacement, but it's simply too saturated with them now to change it. So if you find one with an RV refrigerator in it, make sure to test it for operation or else you could end up buying a new one anyway.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:31 PM   #6

SUN #1340
Drake is an unknown quantity at this point
I modified my space for the all electric "dorm" refrigerator I installed. this included luan paneling to enclose the insulation on the insides of the opening, and a piece of 3/4 inch ply for the base. I also placed trim around the opening in the trailer wall to tidy up the job.
My original Dometic was past gone...smelling of ammonia and rusted through. If you are planning on doing mostly campground camping I would heartily recommmend this economical change. Tote along an ice chest, plug in at your campground, and store your food ( and beer) in the fridge after it gets cold...half an hour.

Since this photo was taken I have replaced the black microwave atop the fridge with a smaller white one to match the fridge. It just sits on a wide board atop the fridge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3511.jpg (52.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 11-27-2011, 05:49 AM   #7

SUN #2915
encoredude is an unknown quantity at this point
great-looking job...how did you anchor it in position?
Old 11-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #8

SUN #1340
First, welcome to the club....I hope I can help with a few suggestions here. As you probably know, when you pull the old Dometic out, there is nothing on either side of the fridge "hole" but insulation and very few framing pieces . Because I wanted to hide that ugly stuff and cover any unsightly framing in that hole, I simply cut some pieces of indoor panelling I had on hand to the shape of the sides and nailed it fast to the little bit of framing available at the top sides and bottom of the space. No need to be too neat here, you can't see much of it.
Because my old Seville is permanantly situated, I didn't worry about securing it the way it must be secured for traveling puposes. For this I would recommend a metal brace at least 2 inches wide from side to side and fitted tight across the top of the fridge and screwed into the framework on either side of the fridge. This would secure the fridge down firmly against the base of the floor of the fridge space. Alternatively, If you are going to install a microwave, as I have, make the microwave shelf secure ( screw it in) to the side bracing of the space and fit it tight to the top of the fridge...this is really a better fix than the brace mentioned above because it is much wider than the brace, thus more secure.

A couple of things here.... The fridge support at the base is not that substantial. I cut and fit a new 3/4" plywood base to support the weight of the fridge and microwave before anything else. Second, once the fridge is in, you have little "work space" in this hole. Measure closely and install brackets / nailing strips, whatever you devise to install the microwave and or shelving for the microwave, prior to installing the fridge. Once that bad boy is in, it's hard to work around it, and a pain to take out and in to "fix oh, ohs."

On that note, also install a heavy duty two outlet extension cord to plug into the single socket that the old Dometic plugged into. Plug it in and position it so you can plug in the fridge and the microwave to it later on...hang it up high in the hole so you can reach it easily.

As far as securing the microwave...well I didn't do it, 'cause I didn't have to, but I would build some kind of bracing onto the shelf itself prior to installing the shelf, in such a way that I could make the final installation step so that I am working from the front of the Microwave...again the working space problem is the issue here. The rest of the installation is just applying the final trim...It looks so much better if you use a miter on the corners of the "box." You'll figure out what you need,...just measure and take a piece of the wood trim from your trailer to the hardware store to match/ compliment the stain color. Finish the molding in polyurethene . I am enclosing a couple of pictures of the finished product after I got a white microwave instead of the kind of ugly black one.
Again welcome, and I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4072.jpg (53.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4071a.jpg (51.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 11-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #9

SUN #2915
encoredude is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for your detailed response...have a 1990 T-1661 with just a fridge...do have some room to work from the back because of vent, but had to enlarge front opening a bit because replacement (basically a dorm fridge) was slightly taller...no way to brace across top because the door is the entire length and width of the unit....am able to anchor legs in the rear, but don't trust that for goin' down the road (fine for just sitting in place)...perhaps I could put some kind of strapping up and down the back and anchor that to the floor (insulation is in the way to the sides)..thanks again for your suggestons!
Old 11-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #10

SUN #1340
dude... yes, places and room to wrangle bracing are surprisingly few back there. I used a dorm refrigerator too....you must have had a smaller fridge in your T-1661 because as you can see, I still have a little space with the microwave AND the fridge in place.
Yes I have a vent in the back of mine as well, but about the only thing I can reach from there is the outlet, and the lower 1/4 of the fridge (kind of) . Maybe some metal straps on the sides IF you attach them to the fridge prior to inserting it into the wall, then run them beside the fridge give then straps a turn where they clear the back edge of the fridge to make them fit flat against the floor or whatever surface you find to anchor to behind the fridge. Problem is, where to drill a brace attachment hole in the mid/top area of the fridge w/o hitting something important!!!! This is the only way I can think of to secure the fridge the way it should be Without attaching the braces with screws. You are so right be afraid to go down the road with the fridge just kinda halfway attached.

I don't know your camping needs, but you also might consider a smaller dorm refrigerator...that way you could have room for a microwave too!

Let me know when you figure this out!!! Good luck...ain't remodeling fun????