Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #1

SUN #10153
Aariel is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Refill Propane Tank?

My latest challenge with my 1997 Solaris T2653 is to refill a propane tank for the first time. I've looked in the files section but don't see one on how to do it. Can anyone tell me how to detach the empty propane tank safely and to reattach after I get it refilled? I've included a picture of the hoses and attachments. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV Propane tank.jpg (60.9 KB, 19 views)

Old 04-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok if you a familiar with removing bolts/nuts that's the wrong direction to loosen the fitting! Yes they are left handed threads they go backwards tighten to loosen make sense right? Don't forget to turn the gas valve off first!

Old 04-20-2019, 04:49 PM   #3

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
Don't forget to turn the gas valve off first!
Where's the fun in that?

Something to be prepared for is that if the tank is more than 12 years old, it's illegal to fill it without re-certification. I mention that because of the rust spots I see in the pic.

If the fill station turns you away, usually the most economical alternative is to take it to one of those places where you trade in your empty cylinder for a full one.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:25 PM   #4

SUN #2097
I would suggest a campground that fills cylinders they are a good bit more lenient. The trick I have found is someone like WalMart they are all most clueless so you get a new/recertified tank that any one will fill. The down side they, and all refilled corporate co. will stiff you for a bit over a gallon claiming they can't put 20 lbs in a 20# tank. So next go around take the tank to someone that will put 20# in.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:21 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
As FYI on the LP gas recertification. The original 12 years is now 10 years even it if it stamped 12 years on the bottle. The law changed here in Ohio and I suspect it may be a national thing.

I take my tanks to my local LP gas company. They can recertify the tanks, it cost me about $3.50 a tank and the re-cert is good for 5 years. The price of LP from them is always cheaper then say Tractor Supply or other places that refill LP tanks by the gallon/pound as a side line. The flat rate places are even higher in many cases then those selling by the gallon or pound.

I will admit, it is getting harder and harder to find places that will recertify tanks. It's all about the liability as their name is on it and they only get $3.50 a tank or so to do it. Or LP place is 5 minutes down the road from our house. I'm one lucky duck for sure, just I have to be there at 7:00am or 2:30 PM as it is a satellite place as they are out delivering LP with their trucks.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:13 PM   #6

SUN #2097
The exchange tanks are certified so if your tank is not certified exchange it then the next time you can take it anywhere and have them fill it it's a cheap simple way to get a certified tank all most full of propane.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:55 AM   #7

SUN #10153
Actually the question is: How do I DETACH the propane tank? It's turned off. No rust, just dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
As FYI on the LP gas recertification. The original 12 years is now 10 years even it if it stamped 12 years on the bottle. The law changed here in Ohio and I suspect it may be a national thing.

I take my tanks to my local LP gas company. They can recertify the tanks, it cost me about $3.50 a tank and the re-cert is good for 5 years. The price of LP from them is always cheaper then say Tractor Supply or other places that refill LP tanks by the gallon/pound as a side line. The flat rate places are even higher in many cases then those selling by the gallon or pound.

I will admit, it is getting harder and harder to find places that will recertify tanks. It's all about the liability as their name is on it and they only get $3.50 a tank or so to do it. Or LP place is 5 minutes down the road from our house. I'm one lucky duck for sure, just I have to be there at 7:00am or 2:30 PM as it is a satellite place as they are out delivering LP with their trucks.

Hope this helps

John
Old 04-22-2019, 06:19 AM   #8

SUN #2097
Other than the part holding it to the camper there is only the fitting at the valve. From your picture it will require a 7/8 inch wrench or crescent wrench and it will turn clockwise to loosen, the fitting will stay connected to the hose but free from the tank.
Old 04-22-2019, 06:22 AM   #9

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
On the right side of your picture there's a large "wingnut". Loosening that will allow you to detach the bar holding the cylinder in place.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:10 AM   #10

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aariel View Post
Actually the question is: How do I DETACH the propane tank? It's turned off. No rust, just dirt.
Wow... Sorry. We sort of missed the actual question as we "thought" you were talking about. We thought you wanted to know how to detach the hose fitting from the tank which is left hand thread and not a normal right handed thread.

To remove the "tank" from the camper.

1. Remove the LP gas hose from the tank. This is LH thread. I think we have this covered.

2. Loosen the large wing nut in between the 2 tanks on the threaded rod. This is normal right hand thread. You have to loosen it enough to be able lift the silver cross bar under it. This is what Tinstaaffl is mentioning.

3. Lift up the silver cross bar between the 2 tanks and slide it out of the way.

4. Lift the tank up off the tank rack. Note: Sometimes the bottom of the tank gets stuck in the tank rack. You may have to wiggle it around to break free the rust, dirt and or a bent tank flange on the bottom or a slightly bent tank rack. The tank feels stuck. Once you get it off, you can see the area that was "stuck" and it may need attention to straighten it or de rust it etc.

Hope we have it right this time.

John

Old 04-22-2019, 07:18 AM   #11

SUN #89
Maybe this can help

The Sunline LP tank racks are "normally" made out of small formed plate that has an angle lip on it around where the tanks fit.

Sometimes the bottom ring on the tank gets rusted to the tank angle side lip and it seems like it really stuck on there. Wiggling the tank normally breaks the rust free and the tank comes off.

Here is my T310SR going through a painting process. You can see the tank tray on the A frame.

Hope this helps

John

Old 04-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #12

SUN #10153
Thank you. Yes my questions are pretty basic; I was a tent person and I have never used a camper in my life before! This answer is just what I needed. Propane is a little scary! Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Wow... Sorry. We sort of missed the actual question as we "thought" you were talking about. We thought you wanted to know how to detach the hose fitting from the tank which is left hand thread and not a normal right handed thread.

To remove the "tank" from the camper.

1. Remove the LP gas hose from the tank. This is LH thread. I think we have this covered.

2. Loosen the large wing nut in between the 2 tanks on the threaded rod. This is normal right hand thread. You have to loosen it enough to be able lift the silver cross bar under it. This is what Tinstaaffl is mentioning.

3. Lift up the silver cross bar between the 2 tanks and slide it out of the way.

4. Lift the tank up off the tank rack. Note: Sometimes the bottom of the tank gets stuck in the tank rack. You may have to wiggle it around to break free the rust, dirt and or a bent tank flange on the bottom or a slightly bent tank rack. The tank feels stuck. Once you get it off, you can see the area that was "stuck" and it may need attention to straighten it or de rust it etc.

Hope we have it right this time.

John
Old 04-22-2019, 06:58 PM   #13

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aariel View Post
Thank you. Yes my questions are pretty basic; I was a tent person and I have never used a camper in my life before! This answer is just what I needed. Propane is a little scary! Thanks again.
No worries. We are all glad to help. Just the "lingo" on a camper to a new person is also a learning experience. We try and decode what you tell us, and sometimes we read it wrong. And then the english language can use the same words with very different contexts making the whole problem worse.

Seeing a perfect picture of the older left hand gas tank all brass fitting, for sure had me thinking you could not get the hose off the tank. All the new LP tanks have the plastic nuts that are all right hand.

Don't worry, we were all new at this the first time. And we all have fire chat along stores of our early days blunders... I made some big ones. And still do...

Ask away. Any and all questions welcomed! Pic's help too!

Old 04-23-2019, 10:39 PM   #14

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Attached is a picture of my tanks, showing what recertification looks like via the silver sticker. My (original) tanks were stamped with a 6-96 manufacture date.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8583.jpg (115.6 KB, 6 views)
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #15

SUN #2097
I think propane tanks may have the world's worst paint after about 2 months they look like they are 6 years old. I have repainted mine two tone black and white last year I dropped them off at a shop and they graciously replaced one saying it was too old so after about 2 hours of label removal sanding and primer new black and white paint it now looks like the other one! Next time I'm going to the local campground and refill them myself! (I do their electrical work so I get a lot of favors)
Old 04-24-2019, 05:47 PM   #16

SUN #10153
Thank you for all of the replies and advice. I successfully removed the tank with the use of WD40 and finding out I had to turn the nut clockwise!
Old 05-02-2019, 11:51 AM   #17

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Sadly, I have seen some places charge you full price even if you only want it topped off. If you ask why? They just say that's the way it is. Costco charges you for what you get...OR you can get a tank exchange. There are many trustworthy places. Conversely, there are some places not so trustworthy

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:38 AM   #18

SUN #2097
Most campgrounds will charge you to fill a 20# tank even if it takes a couple of pounds because of the amount labor involved for very little profit. The exchange tanks are the most expensive because they only fill them to around 15# so you get stiffed for better than a gallon Generally 30# up is filled and priced like gasoline by the volume so there is enough profit to account for the labor.

Tags
propane