Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-05-2016, 04:38 PM   #1

SUN #8573
Chigger86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Recently purchased used Sunline

Hey all, I recently purchased a 79 Sunline model TL. Just returned from my 2nd camping trip but this was the first time I've had access to electric and water. I had noticed the toilet, an Aqua Magic III, seemed to be missing something but, being a 1st time rv owner, I wasn't really sure. After hooking up the water at the camp grounds, I found that water was spraying from the area that appeared to be missing something, which did in fact, confirm that something was missing. After a little research, I found that the flush handle is gone so I need to find out if this part is replaceable and where I could find it or if I just need to replace the whole toilet?

I would also like to replace the shut off valves for the holding tanks as the seem to be a little worn and hard to open and close.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:58 PM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigger86 View Post
Hey all, I recently purchased a 79 Sunline model TL. Just returned from my 2nd camping trip but this was the first time I've had access to electric and water. I had noticed the toilet, an Aqua Magic III, seemed to be missing something but, being a 1st time rv owner, I wasn't really sure. After hooking up the water at the camp grounds, I found that water was spraying from the area that appeared to be missing something, which did in fact, confirm that something was missing. After a little research, I found that the flush handle is gone so I need to find out if this part is replaceable and where I could find it or if I just need to replace the whole toilet?

I would also like to replace the shut off valves for the holding tanks as the seem to be a little worn and hard to open and close.

You should be able to get parts for the Thetford Aqua Magic III from any RV parts department. These toilets were used in most every RV out there and repairing them is quite common.

The shut-off valves are also easily replaced. You'll have to determine what kind of piping and connections you have first. Most of the time you can find what you need for this at any home improvement store. However, if the fittings are something like Flare-It, you'll want to replace with the same.

If you have problems identifying things, post a pic here and one of us will almost certainly know.

There's already lots of information here about repairs, etc. I encourage you to familiarize yourself with use of the forum and how to search for specifics. Many of your questions have already been answered.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:07 PM   #3

SUN #8573
Thanks Steve, still trying to find my way around the site. I'm sure I will start finding a lot of good info in the coming days.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:44 PM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
If you are talking about the tank drains yeah they do work a little hard pretty normal.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #5

SUN #8663
DennisCT is an unknown quantity at this point
Aqua Magic III Parts

Quote:

Hi,
I have a few parts for an Aqua Magic III that I'd rather pass on than throw out. The color is cream. The flush handle you need, is it a twist knob on top? Do you need any other parts?
Dennis
Old 07-28-2016, 07:54 PM   #6

SUN #8573
Yes, I do believe it would be the twist knob. It's completely gone so I'm not sure but I can see the little rod in the opening and I can move it back and forth to open and close the drain. It is also the cream color. To be honest, I'm not real sure of any other parts at this time. I do know the gas furnace has been removed but I'm ok with that. I would rather use electric heat when needed. I will eventually reconfigure that area to accept a larger refrigerator. I bought a small dorm type fridge to put in there for now.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #7

SUN #8663
Aqua Magic III

Quote:
Yes, I do believe it would be the twist knob. It's completely gone so I'm not sure but I can see the little rod in the opening and I can move it back and forth to open and close the drain. It is also the cream color. To be honest, I'm not real sure of any other parts at this time. I do know the gas furnace has been removed but I'm ok with that. I would rather use electric heat when needed. I will eventually reconfigure that area to accept a larger refrigerator. I bought a small dorm type fridge to put in there for now.
Hi,
It sounds like you at least need the handle and small valve actuation arm (the short arm fits on the end of the actuating rod and over the top end of the vertical shaft that extends out of the top of the water valve). You might even need the vertical valve shaft itself.

The valve shaft simply pulls vertically up out of the valve housing. The flush handle slips down over the vertical shaft after you install the small actuation arm, much the same way the channel changer knob fitted on vintage TV sets. (If you're as old as I am.. .

The valve is held in place by two screws from the bottom and one down from the top. Be very careful with the screws as the plastic they screw into will be getting old and brittle. The three screws are all that keep the valve outlet held up in place so that the water goes into the flush tank and not all over the floor when you flush..

Anyhow, If you're somewhere in the continental US, I can send you the small flush handle actuation arm, valve, valve stem and flush handle. Just send me your address and I'll snail mail them to you. You can reimburse me for the postage plus whatever you think is fair after you receive the parts.

I also have the seat, seat cover, seat cover pins, semi-clear plastic tank top and seal, flapper actuating arm, rod and spring if you want those too..
I'll send them along too if you want, but it would push the postage up a bit..

Dennis
Old 07-31-2016, 07:27 PM   #8

SUN #8573
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCT View Post
Hi,
It sounds like you at least need the handle and small valve actuation arm (the short arm fits on the end of the actuating rod and over the top end of the vertical shaft that extends out of the top of the water valve). You might even need the vertical valve shaft itself.

The valve shaft simply pulls vertically up out of the valve housing. The flush handle slips down over the vertical shaft after you install the small actuation arm, much the same way the channel changer knob fitted on vintage TV sets. (If you're as old as I am.. .

The valve is held in place by two screws from the bottom and one down from the top. Be very careful with the screws as the plastic they screw into will be getting old and brittle. The three screws are all that keep the valve outlet held up in place so that the water goes into the flush tank and not all over the floor when you flush..

Anyhow, If you're somewhere in the continental US, I can send you the small flush handle actuation arm, valve, valve stem and flush handle. Just send me your address and I'll snail mail them to you. You can reimburse me for the postage plus whatever you think is fair after you receive the parts.

I also have the seat, seat cover, seat cover pins, semi-clear plastic tank top and seal, flapper actuating arm, rod and spring if you want those too..
I'll send them along too if you want, but it would push the postage up a bit..

Dennis
Honestly, I have no idea what would be reasonable for these parts. Being a first time owner I'm, let's say, illiterate when it boils right down to it. You tell me what would be reasonable for these. I wouldn't want to offend anyone with an amount they weren't comfortable with. I can usually get a good feel for what something is worth by searching eBay but, nothing there but full toilets for between $90-$120.

My only other option would be to ride down to the rv lot and get the parts from them which I'm sure would probably be as expensive as buying the new toilet on ebay.

Let me go by my dad's place and snap a few pics to post. That way we can be sure of what is needed. I wouldn't know without someone telling me.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:01 PM   #9

SUN #8663
Quote:
Honestly, I have no idea what would be reasonable for these parts. Being a first time owner I'm, let's say, illiterate when it boils right down to it. You tell me what would be reasonable for these. I wouldn't want to offend anyone with an amount they weren't comfortable with. I can usually get a good feel for what something is worth by searching eBay but, nothing there but full toilets for between $90-$120.

My only other option would be to ride down to the rv lot and get the parts from them which I'm sure would probably be as expensive as buying the new toilet on ebay.

Let me go by my dad's place and snap a few pics to post. That way we can be sure of what is needed. I wouldn't know without someone telling me.
Oh heck.. Tell you what...
If the pictures appear to me to be of the same model, I'll have you send your address, then I'll snail mail the parts to you via USPS ground.

AFTER you receive the parts..
- IF they result in you having a working toilet, take whatever ever the postage is and add $10 and send me a check back in the mail.

- If they don't result in a working toilet.. Even if you end up screwing the up the reassembly or there's some other problem or you simply don't like them, just send me a check for the postage..

- Don't go and add any more than the $10 to the postage.. I'll just end up mailing you back the difference..

How's that?
Dennis
Old 07-31-2016, 09:35 PM   #10

SUN #8573
Quote:
If the pictures appear to me to be of the same model, I'll have you send your address, then I'll snail mail the parts to you via USPS ground.

- IF they result in you having a working toilet, take whatever ever the postage is and add $10 and send me a check back in the mail.

- If they don't result in a working toilet.. Even if you end up screwing the up the reassembly or there's some other problem or you simply don't like them, just send me a check for the postage..

- Don't go and add any more than the $10 to the postage.. I'll just end up mailing you back the difference..

How's that?
Dennis
I would say that's reasonable. Lol

I have school registration for my daughter tomorrow. It will be Tuesday afternoon before I can get to my dad's place to take pictures.

Thanks so much for your help.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #11

SUN #8573
Quote:

How's that?
Dennis
I am adding pics of the camper and the Toilet to my profile. You can check those out and let me know if what you have is what I need.

If so, I will be glad to take these parts of your hands.

Thanks so much for all your help.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #12

SUN #8663
Yup, you appear to at least need the handle and the actuating arm.. Can't see if you need the vertical shaft coming up out of the valve, but I suspect not as I think the valve would have to have been removed from toilet for it to have been lost.
I'll send it and the valve along regardless..
It looks like the internal spring is still attached to the actuating rod too as it appears to be driving the rod towards the back of the toilet.. that's a good sign too. I'll include it anyhow.
So, send on your address and I'll mail the parts to you.. If you'd rather not post it, send me a private message at janden.teague@gmail.com
Then you can take the parts off my hands.. LOL
Best,
Dennis

BTW.. Although I do not have black or grey water drain slide valves, it looks as if at least your grey water slider valve is about to break up. Replacing them (I'd do both if I were you) isn't that expensive and USUALLY not that big of a job.. Getting the old bolts off was the most troublesome for me. Soak the nuts and exposed screw ends for a week or two in PB Blaster and / or WD40 then I'd start by trying to remove the bolts most difficult to get at first..
Old 08-03-2016, 10:34 AM   #13

SUN #8573
Quote:
Yup, you appear to at least need the handle and the actuating arm.. Can't see if you need the vertical shaft coming up out of the valve, but I suspect not as I think the valve would have to have been removed from toilet for it to have been lost.
I'll send it and the valve along regardless..
It looks like the internal spring is still attached to the actuating rod too as it appears to be driving the rod towards the back of the toilet.. that's a good sign too. I'll include it anyhow.
So, send on your address and I'll mail the parts to you.. If you'd rather not post it, send me a private message at janden.teague@gmail.com
Then you can take the parts off my hands.. LOL
Best,
Dennis

BTW.. Although I do not have black or grey water drain slide valves, it looks as if at least your grey water slider valve is about to break up. Replacing them (I'd do both if I were you) isn't that expensive and USUALLY not that big of a job.. Getting the old bolts off was the most troublesome for me. Soak the nuts and exposed screw ends for a week or two in PB Blaster and / or WD40 then I'd start by trying to remove the bolts most difficult to get at first..
Thanks Dennis, I will shoot you an email with mailing address.

I appreciate your help.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:47 AM   #14

SUN #8573
Thanks Dennis for all your help. The twist handle worked perfectly and turned out to be all I needed. The actuator arm was still hanging on the vertical shafts it had just fallen off of the driving rod. I put it back on and dropped the handle on it and it works perfectly. Now I just need a new exterior door knob and key and this little camper is good to go. Thanks again and happy camping.