Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #1

SUN #1953
frank_a is an unknown quantity at this point
Rebuilding hubs 1979 Sunspot - Part #s?

I will soon be acquiring a '79 Sunspot, and one of the first things I would like to do is something I'm good at - rebuilding the hubs. Once I have the trailer in hand, of course I could just pull the hubs and (hopefully!) get part #s, but I thought there might be a chance someone here would know bearing and seal part #s for these hubs. That way I can just pick them up and be ready.

This is an easy task, and one that I do first thing on any trailer I buy. I've never bought a travel trailer before, but have rebuilt hubs on any number of used utility and boat trailers. In fact, I'd doing a pair on an old boat trailer this week for a friend. It, like many of the small trailers I am used to, has a 1" bearing surface and the parts are very common. I'm kind of a stickler on maintenance. Generally, I at least repack any trailer hubs on trailers I am using every spring. Right now, that is two - my utility trailer and my boat trailer. Better safe than sorry!

I'll have more questions as we proceed to renovate this trailer over the next few years. We have been looking and hoping to find a tiny travel trailer for a number of years, and feel blessed to have found this one.

Thank you for any help and/or suggestions!

Frank

Old 03-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Frank

Welcome to Sunline Owners Club and congrats on your “new” coach! It seems we are having a run on Sunspots here lately….

With the vintage of your camper I’m sorry I cannot help as I do not know what axle it has in it. The newer ones I can point to the bearings and brakes but I did want to welcome you and say hello.

There where some of the older campers where the axle and brakes have been discontinued and folks have been doing conversions due to not having access to brakes parts. If you end up needing new brake shoes an option might be if you can find it, is relining them. A long time ago this was common on auto’s but they had thicker linings to hold the rivets. Modern day trailer brakes have linings so thin that bonding them may be the only option. If you can find someone in your areas that still relines shoes that is less then and entire new axle.

There are some posts here about how other forum members did their conversion. Bearings and seals I’m sure may still be able to be found.

Good luck and happy camping

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #3

SUN #1953
John, thank you for the kind welcome. This Sunspot was listed for sale in the classifieds here (from Gaelen), and I am under contract to purchase it.

For the weight of this trailer (less than 600 lbs.), I don't care initially whether the brakes work or not. I doubt even loaded it would be over 1,000 lbs. NYS doesn't require brakes for trailers unless they're over 1,000 lbs I think. I tow a classic speedboat with trailer that weighs maybe 1500 lbs (at most) with no brakes. I would like to put brakes on that trailer sometime, and may consider it for the Sunspot as well. Of course, the boat would not have electric brakes, so I would need a brake controller in both my GMC Canyon and Subaru Outback for the Sunspot. We'll see.

I would have no idea where to get shoes for an old set of electric brakes. Probably 1st I would try NAPA. I'm sure the bearings and seals are still available. Generally manufacturers back then tended to use common parts for such things. I just need to get the trailer in in possession and pull the hubs.

I've never done trailer brakes, but they can't be much different from regular drum brakes. I've done more than my share of them in years past. Seems everything nowadays is disc.

I think this trailer also needs the axle flipped back to normal, but that's not necessary for camping right away. I want to rebuild the hubs, make sure the stop/turn/tail lights work and go camping. We have lots of plans for this little trailer, but it will be over time. Got a lot of other projects going on.

Soon as I have the Sunspot in my possession, you'll be hearing more from me. Thanks!

Frank
Old 03-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #4

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post

I've never done trailer brakes, but they can't be much different from regular drum brakes. I've done more than my share of them in years past. Seems everything nowadays is disc.
Frank,

If you have done auto drum brakes then you will feel right at home with a trailer electric brake. If your use to good heavy brake lining and back up self adjusting brakes of autos from years gone by... Well these are even simpler then that and lighter... Think 1950 technology here...

The lining even when brand new and thin and there and there is no self adjusting mechanism. You need to tweak them in adjustment every 3,000 miles.

Here is one style of trailer electric brake in action. The electro magnet attaches to the inside surface of the brake drum. The brake controller alerts the amperage making the magnet stronger. The trailer has to roll in order for the stopping action to occur.

If you want pic's of the process see here. This is on our FAQ forum where we also have listed "How to" posts that members have made up to share. Zoom down to topic 5 "5. Repairing brakes and wheel bearings on your Sunline" http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f1...nks-11910.html

Disks brakes only show up on high end fifth wheels as standard equipment in a towable RV. Or on a Sunline where one of our members converted his as he could not find axle parts....

Good luck and happy camping

John

Old 03-14-2011, 06:57 PM   #5

SUN #1953
Wow! Lots of info. Thank you John. I just came up from the shop disassembling and cleaning a couple trailer hubs for a buddy. Only one race toast, so got that out. Cleaned all the crud off them, wired brushed them, will sand, wash, then clean with something good before primer. Need a few parts, no biggie.

I never saw such a good explanation of electric brakes as your graphic illustrated. Very good info. I also followed the link you provided to the axle section. I'll be looking at that a lot closer.

When I get this Sunspot in hand, I will try and take a lot of pics. I have long experience with axles, hubs, and drum brakes, and am a good project photographer. It will be real interesting to see what I get and what condition it's in. I can't wait to get it.

I'm sure I'll be back. Thanks!

Frank
Old 03-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #6

SUN #951
D n D
just dont put the magnets in backward that cost me $60.00
Old 03-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #7

SUN #1953
I'm wondering if I even need brakes for a 600# trailer being pulled behind an Outback or GMC Canyon? I'll probably check them out and see what I have, but doubt I'll put controllers in my tow vehicles.

Frank
Old 03-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #8

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I'm wondering if I even need brakes for a 600# trailer being pulled behind an Outback or GMC Canyon? I'll probably check them out and see what I have, but doubt I'll put controllers in my tow vehicles.
The brochure shows electric brakes being standard on the Sunspot. It's not so much the empty weight of 655# that matters, but the GAWR of 1,500#. We all carry "stuff", and stuff adds up quickly when it comes to weight so it's highly likely that you'd be over 1,000# when packed up for a trip. Most states require trailer brakes for anything over 1,000#.

Living in the Adirondacks, I wouldn't think of towing a trailer that has brakes as standard equipment without them being properly connected and working. Actually, I would not do it anywhere. I think there are a lot of safety and liability issues that need to be considered.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #9

SUN #1953
Actually Steve, only NY and North Carolina require brakes for trailers over 1,000#s. The vast majority of states require brakes for anything over 3,000#s. There's a neat map and notes for every state at this web page: Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle

The interior has been stripped, so it weighs less than 600#s.

We plan on hauling it up to Fish Creek in mid-June for a teardrop camper and tiny travel trailer meet. At last count there were maybe 47 trailers (and 90 people) already registered. We'll be going up via Keene Valley, visit my niece in Saranac Lake, and camp for a three day weekend. It will be our 1st venture out with the Sunspot, so we'll report on how we make out, including how the stopping and handling were.

Where are you in the Adirondacks? My niece Lori is part-owner of Nori's in downtown Saranac Lake.

Thanks, and enjoy your day!

Frank
Old 03-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #10

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Frank when are you going to Fish Creek? We're going to Rollins' Pond I believe it it June 15th weekend....
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #11

SUN #1953
June 9-12. I think we're going up on Friday, then home Sunday. Here's a link to the event: TearUptheADK.com - Camp ADK Spring TearUp 2011 - June 9-12, 2011 at Fish Creek Pond State Park

The previous weekend (3-5) I will be in a cottage at Letchworth State Park with our classic speed boat for a classic boat meet on Silver Lake, near Perry NY.

July 12-21 we will be at Keuka Lake Sate Campground with the Sunspot and our classic speed boat for a local chapter meet of the Antique & Classic Boat Society at Hammonsport NY July 15-17. It's looking to be a busy summer. Bring it on!

Frank
Old 03-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #12

SUN #93
You'll be leaving and a few days later we will be arriving!!!! Would have been nice to meet another Sunline Club member!!!!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 03-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #13

SUN #1953
Yeah, but ours will be just an itty bitty Sunline. We're still looking forward to it though, been tent camping going on 40 years now.

Too bad we'll miss you, but hey, ya never know! We might be over Old Forge way this summer. We live within a few miles of the Hudson, but prefer to boat on lakes in the Adirondacks and Finger Lakes.

Frank
Old 03-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #14

SUN #264
Quote:
Where are you in the Adirondacks?
Northville, right on Route 30 at the head of the Great Sacandaga Lake.

We're at FCP from the 12th to the 25th. Might be over for the Saturday evening wine and cheese thing at the Tear Up, depending on what the SOC gang at Rollins is doing and what our friends from Florida have planned.

June used to be a quiet, almost solitary trip for us. Now the dance card is kinda full.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #15

SUN #89
Quote:

We might be over Old Forge way this summer. We live within a few miles of the Hudson, but prefer to boat on lakes in the Adirondacks and Finger Lakes.

Frank
Frank, you mean like Hudson NY in Columbia County? You know zip code 12534.... Which Hudson and which direction? You been there long?

Old 03-23-2011, 03:08 AM   #16

SUN #1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
Northville, right on Route 30 at the head of the Great Sacandaga Lake.

We're at FCP from the 12th to the 25th. Might be over for the Saturday evening wine and cheese thing at the Tear Up, depending on what the SOC gang at Rollins is doing and what our friends from Florida have planned.

June used to be a quiet, almost solitary trip for us. Now the dance card is kinda full.
We were in Northville last Saturday for a funeral Steve (Jeanette Ellithorpe, mother of one of my best friends).

Close friends of ours have a cabin on the north end of the lake. We usually get up there at least once every summer. I like putting our boat in just north of the bridge to Northville at the launch on the west side of the lake, plus our friend's cabin is on the west side of that northern part of the lake. Not sure when we'll be up again this summer. Actually I like heading north up to Speculator for boating on those smaller lakes. We'll probably try that campground out later this year.

Frank
Old 03-23-2011, 03:15 AM   #17

SUN #1953
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Frank, you mean like Hudson NY in Columbia County? You know zip code 12534.... Which Hudson and which direction? You been there long?
John, we live a few miles west of the Hudson River between Albany and Catskill NY. Hudson NY in Columbia county is across the river, maybe 1/2 hour away. I work in Catskill and have meetings over at the community college there fairly often (twice in the last week). Gail works in downtown Albany, so living in-between works out pretty well. We've been here going on 10 years now. I'm originally from Massena, on the St. Lawrence River in northern NY, but have lived in NH, WA, OH, WY, WI, and VT.

Frank
Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #18

SUN #93
Frank if you like the Adirondacks why not consider coming to the Adirondack M&G September 23 -25!!!

There is a direct link on the right side banner,,,,,,UPCOMING EVENTS.

Consider it, we'd love for you to come! Sorry but Nick's Lake is a non-motorized lake!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 03-24-2011, 03:14 AM   #19

SUN #1953
I went to that link, but did not find any info, just an RSVP thing. I RSVP'ed too! "I can't seem to find a state park on or near Nick's Lake, but if someone could give me better info, there's a good chance we would be there with the '79 sunspot I am under contract to buy soon. We live just south of Albany."

Where could I find more info?

This thread started about brakes. I finally found the wiring in my GMC last night for an electric brake controller, but now can hardly move. Boy, they couldn't put those wires in a more difficult place to get could they? Grrrrr. I'm fortunate I got the tow package when I bought the truck, so I have the 7 pin RV plug right in my rear bumper, it's just figuring out the wiring. I know there are 4 wires to hook up, so to make things easy, I will probably pick up the best 4 pole connector I can (like a flat trailer connector, and get the truck side wired under the dash. I think battery power and ground wires may be in the engine compartment, just not hooked up yet. Maybe tonight I can find them. Then the bigger challenge is figuring out 7 pin RV wiring for the Subaru. That promises to be much more difficult.

Steve, thank you for getting on me about brakes. I'm gonna try and be good.

Thanks!

Frank
Old 03-24-2011, 05:24 AM   #20

SUN #264
Quote:
I went to that link, but did not find any info, just an RSVP thing. I RSVP'ed too! "I can't seem to find a state park on or near Nick's Lake, but if someone could give me better info, there's a good chance we would be there with the '79 sunspot I am under contract to buy soon. We live just south of Albany."

Where could I find more info?
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...d-g-11860.html

Campground Details - Nicks Lake Campground, NY - ReserveAmerica - [NY]

Quote:
Steve, thank you for getting on me about brakes. I'm gonna try and be good.
Not a problem and glad to be there for you.