Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-04-2008, 02:33 PM   #1

SUN #19
Sunline1
Propane line fitting connections ???

There is a coupling/fitting, at the end of the propane line, where it connects to the tank. Where the fitting/connection inserts in to the rubber line, there is a Brass ?? ring around the outside of the rubber line. At that spot, the connection can flex a little one way or the other. Depending on how well the tank fitting is alingned with the rubber line itself.

At the spot where it flexs if I don't have the tank fitting almost perfectly in line with the rubber hose, I have a very small leak there. I put soapy water to check it every time I change a tank etc.

Is that normal ?

If so is there anything I can do to correct it ?

Any info appreciated.
Thanks

2002 Sunline model T-2975 (large Bath)
Sunline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:50 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Sunline1

I’ll try to help but first trying to figure out where your leak is exactly. See this pic. Does yours look like this at all? Or can you post a pic of yours?

In words what you see above is:

At the tank there is a green plastic OPD style hose end connection that screws on the acme thread of the tank. Is the leak on this end of the hose? And if so explain where if you can?

There is then a pig tail hose that runs from the green nut to the switch over regulator. At the end of that pigtail hose is a brass swivel fitting that screws into a brass pipe thread adaptor to a flared fitting that matches the end of the hose swivel fitting. Is the leak on this end and if so where? At the brass adapter fitting to the regulator or the hose to the brass adapter fitting?

If you flex the hose some so that it is not in line and it then starts leaking, that is not normal. The hose and fittings should not leak, inline or at an angle. Once I figure out where your leak is we can suggest a better fix.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:56 AM   #3

SUN #680
dkasten39828 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're talking about what I THINK you're talking about, I had a similar problem on my popup.

The brass-colored compression fitting that connects the rubber hose to the threaded swivel fitting on the end of the pigtail coming from my tank got damaged by debris kicked up while traveling down the road. Murphy's Law reared it's head and aimed that hunk of tree limb directly at the small gap between the two tanks (gap is MAYBE 5 inches) where the regulator is sits.

Anyway, I noticed the leak after changing out one of the tanks. I had apparently jostled the regulator around getting the hose reconnected and smelled LP after turning on the gas. Everything LOOKED tight 'cuz I checked. I still smelled LP. One of our more experienced camping friends commented that I should not smell LP... had to be a leak someplace... so I got some dish soap and water in a cup and found the leak very quickly.

I could twist the pigtail ever so slightly and the leak stopped. I figured vibration from traveling down the road would jostle it loose again, so I replaced the pigtail. No more leak.

Then there was the time the squirrel ate my other LP hose on the popup... but that's another story.
5.3 liter V8, 3.73LS, Prodigy, Hensley Arrow
2004 Sunline Solaris SE T-2499 #5527
dkasten39828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:37 AM   #4

SUN #19
Sunline1
John & Dave

Thanks for your replys.

John per you pic and description,

My leak is right at the tank where the green plastic ODP style hose end connection that screws onto the acme thread of the tank is located. The leak is where that fitting "inserts" into the "hose" end, on the OD of the hose is a compression fitting. That compression devise clamps the hose to the fitting, The leak is right at the hose end, seams almost like if that compression clamp could be tighened the leak would stop, IMO. The gas seams to be leaking between the ID of the hose and the OD of the portion of the fitting that inserts into the hose. Almost like the compression clamp is not tight enough. Although, the leak is pretty slow, with soapy water it's just and slow bubble, not leaking a lot. I'm not suggesting any leak is good, just trying to give you as full of a description as I can.

Although when near perfectly alinged, there is no leak.

I wonder if I couldn't tighten that clamp somehow, or remove and replace it with some how? Or does it have to be replaced?

Any thoughts.

Thanks

Old 12-05-2008, 12:35 PM   #5

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
This does happen from time to time with the pigtails, especially as they get old. Best bet is to just replace them, your local dealer should have many in stock. Make sure to unscrew one and take it with you as there are a couple different sizes. It should be the shortest one, but maybe not.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:21 PM   #6

SUN #89
Hi Sunline1

Ok now we know where your leak is. The hose connection to the green tank nut. If that leaks when the hose is on an angle, this is not normal. And while you can stop it by fiddling with it a certain way, sooner or later it may vibrate out of position and start the leak again when you turn the tank back on. That line is high pressure. Pending summer conditions it can easily be 100 to 150psi.

They also some times make the hose turn so tight it adds strain to the hose/fitting. I know mine are way too tight and if and when I change it I will look into the next size slightly longer.

Now how to fix.

1. If the hose is long enough and if you have crimp tools, cut off the end and crimp on a new one. A gas dealer would have these. I would caution the use of a stainless steel hose clamp here as a permanent solution over the top of what you have, but if you are in the middle of no where it might help.

2. Buy a new pigtail. They are not that expensive and most RV stores have them and some farm stores. Mr Heater and Marshall Brass make them along with some other manufactures. See here for Camping world http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ail-hoses/3756

One heads up if you do replace the hose and end, make sure to get the green nut. When they came out with that new safety feature OPD valve they added the BTU limiting device inside the nut fittings. That green nut will only pass so many BTU’s of propane and then it will shut down if you try to pass more, like a broken line. They make them in black, green and blue. The black you see on Gas grills as it is only the grill. The smallest flow. The green flows more, RV furnace, stove, HW heater, fridge combined. If you get the black nut it will shut down if you turn too many things on at once.

Good luck and hope this helps

John

Old 12-07-2008, 05:25 AM   #7

SUN #19
Sunline1
John

Thanks for all your info. I didn't know about the different colors of the Nut meaning different flows etc.

I'll probably just go ahead and replace the whole pigtail, as you suggested as one of your options, as well as others who have responded.

I assume the hose diameter is the same, if you get a green nut arrangement ? Also my pig tail is more rigid or fixed than what I saw in the pic of the camping world site. Are the replacements more flexable as opposed to being fixed in the postion of the stock factory pig tails ?

I'll check with my local rv dealer, as well as my local gas (propane) supplier. Per your camping world info looks like they certainly aren't that expensive.

Happy Camping !!!

Old 12-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #8

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline1
John

I assume the hose diameter is the same, if you get a green nut arrangement ? Also my pig tail is more rigid or fixed than what I saw in the pic of the camping world site. Are the replacements more flexable as opposed to being fixed in the postion of the stock factory pig tails ?

Happy Camping !!!
The Hose ID is what controls the flow verses the OD. And in this case what controls the flow is the smallest hole in the system which is in the center of the green nut. There is an orfice that will help only allow a certian qty of LP BTU's flow. And that hole on the high pressure side is real small.

Best is you take off your old hose and bring it with you. The swivel brass fitting on the other end at the regulator may change by brand. That fitting has an inverted V in it that mates with a male V on the adaptor screwed into the regulator. If that end fits, then the hose should be large enough in flow for your TT. Again the green nut is the limiting factor in this case.

As far as flexible, differnt brands have differnt degrees of flexibility. I have seen some that are very stiff and hard, like mine. Others are more flexible and a little bigger in OD. Inside the hose there is brading that make the pressure rating.

If you are going to a LP dealr expalin your sitution and he may have some of the more flexible ones. Or you end up with what many of us have, the more stiff ones.

Check the side of the hose, it should have the pressure rating on it and if I remember right, it states "gas" as well. Not all hose is gas rated. The pressure is high, like 300psi, again if I remember right.

Here is some lnfo on the green nut saftey features http://www.marshallbrass.com/pdf/High%20Flow%20QCC1.pdf

And here is a site I have ordered from before with good luck

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/lp-gas/lpg-hoses.htm

Hope this helps

John

Old 12-09-2008, 05:26 AM   #9

SUN #19
Sunline1
John

Thanks again.

I checked with local rv dealer, as well a local propane dealer they both have them in stock.

I will take the hose off and take it with me, to make sure it's the right on.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #10

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
While your working with your gas lines you might want to consider picking up some aluminum duct tape and a corrigated plastic wire protector and wrap your gas lines. Wrap with the metal tape then cover with the plastic.

Those little gray fuzzy rats (aka Squirrels) have a taste for the rubber gas lines and a little prevention now, might save you a gas leak later. They evidently don't like the metal. This protection method was recommended both by my dealer, who said they see 15-20 of these chewed hoses a year, and my brother -in-law after he had the same problem.

Last spring I had to replace the line from the regulator to the piping on the trailer thanks to the little critter chewing in three different places. Haven't had any issues since the tape job.

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote