Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #1

SUN #7085
Jazzy 1950 is an unknown quantity at this point
Problem replacing Wineguard Wallplate in T1950

Hi All, I am hoping someone can give me some HEEEELLLPPP!!! I am trying to upgrade the Wineguard wallplate in my T1950 to a Wineguard model with an antenna booster. The guys at the RV shop tell me this should be easy....... yeah, right. My current wallplate is original one installed in the rig and has a 12 volt outlet and an on/off button for the antenna. I am currently in a campground with no cable. I have the wallplate set to "On" for the antenna (green light is lit). I do get 5 stations on the TV -- and yes, rotating the antenna DOES make a difference in the reception. SOOOO....

I remove the existing wallplate and find that there are 2 coax cables connected on the back -- one attached to the "cable" and one attached to "TV 2" on the plate. There is nothing attached to "Antenna". I am totally confused. How can I be receiving channels over the antenna when there is no coax attached to that connection????? And why do I have a coax attached to "TV 2" when -- to the best of my knowledge -- there is no place to connect a 2nd TV in a Sunline T1950. Can anyone tell me where this coax is terminating?

I called the people at Wineguard -- they were of no help. Can anyone here shed some light on my problem?? I am hoping not to have to call in a mobile RV Tech.

Thank you much in advance,
Jazzy

Jazzy 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:48 PM   #2

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
"Antenna" wire on "TV2" and backfeeding???

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:00 PM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The other connection is for a second TV it does not matter what connection is used they both are the same. The TV amp is inside of the antenna on the roof not the switch plate if you get any stations the amp is working with out you'll get nothing.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #4

SUN #7085
OK, MACK C-85, I was thinking the same thing -- that the TV 2 termination is running to the antenna. I was going to try to connect this to the "antenna" termination on the new unit but was afraid to short out something. mainah, Wineguard is telling me that without a coax connected to the antenna termination at the plate I will have no reception -- but I do...... They say that there is a third coax that must be buried in the wall somewhere. There is no second TV in a T1950 so, again, I have no idea where the termination point of that coax connection is. I agree the amp in the antenna is working -- I just don't know HOW it is working. My thought was to take the new plate -- take the coax connected to TV2 in the old unit and connect it to the Antenna in the new unit -- and pray that nothing blows up. Thoughts?
Old 07-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #5

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
As mainah said, it looks like what you have is working the way it should. There is an amp in the antenna. Pushing the button sends 12 volts through the coax to the amp in the antenna and turns on the green light. The button also switches between "cable" input (when it isn't pressed) and "antenna" input (when it is pushed).

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #6

SUN #768
Here is a link to the Winegard manual in PDF format. Page 4 has a picture of the connections on the wall plate. http://www.winegard.com/kbase/uploads/2452013.pdf

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
Old 07-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #7

SUN #7085
Yes, Gene, the original unit is working correctly. How it is working, I have no idea. It certainly was not set up by Sunline the way the Wineguard instructions for that unit indicate it should be. I added a batwing to the antenna this Spring and am in the process of upgrading the wall plate to a new Wineguard unit that will seek out the best signal strength and provide additional boost to the antenna (beyond the boost already there). The million dollar question -- how does pressing the button and getting a green light send anything to the antenna when there is no coax connected to that connector in the plate???
Old 07-23-2015, 08:01 PM   #8

SUN #7085
Gene -- yes, I see the illustration on page 4. Same as in the instruction manual I dug out from the original paperwork. I have no 3rd coax going to the antenna downlead at the plate. I have only 2 coax -- one to the "cable" one to the "TV 2". Wineguard tells me I am missing a coax -- yet I get reception. They tell me this is impossible.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:48 AM   #9

SUN #2097
Well they are wrong there are two outputs TV1 and TV2 there probably is no second wire usually only the bigger campers had a second TV wire for the bed room. The TV 1 and 2 are connected to the same place on the board inside of the switch it does not matter what connection is used they are both the same and the TV does not know the difference. If you had two TV's both would be connected and you would have 3 coax wires. The key wire is the "antenna" wire that needs to be in the right place beyond that it does not matter.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:25 AM   #10

SUN #2097
I think you may have a replacement switch that has a cable TV input they only have a TV2 connection no TV1 connection. I all so don't believe that it has an amp in the switch because adding an amp to an existing amp usual creates problems. If it does have an amp it is only for the cable hook up. Some camp grounds have cable hook ups the switch turn off the antenna and turns on the cable input but that was not the case with the old switch. Maybe if you post a number of the switch you have it might help. The original will have 2 TV outputs and what they do with the cable ready switch is use a splitter for the second TV. My 1990 have a cable connection but in order to use it I have to remove the cable from the switch and connect it to the cable connection on the wall.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:03 AM   #11

SUN #7085
I think I am not explaining what the situation is very well....... Here are the old wall plate connections:

1. The Coax from my TV set is connected to connector on the front of the wall plate (TV1).
2. There is a coax connected to the "cable" connection on the back of the wallplate. This coax runs thru the walls of the camper and terminates at the park cable hookup on the outside of the camper.
3. There is a coax connected to the "set 2" connection on the back of the wallplate. This coax runs thru the walls of the camper and terminates at an unknown location. There is no place to have a second TV in a T-1950.
4. There is NOTHING connected to the "antenna" connection on the back of the wallplate.

So -- here is what I am trying to figure out.

1. What is the termination point of the coax running up through the walls that is currently connected to the "Set 2" connection on the back of the wallplate.
2. How is the antenna working when there is no coax going from it and being downfed to the "antenna" connection on the back of the wallplate.

I hope this describes my problem a little more clearly. I do appreciate the help.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #12

SUN #7085
Oh, and just to clarify -- I have used both park cable and the antenna depending on location. All I had to do was push the on/off button on the front of the wallplate depending on which service I wanted to use. I never had to take off the wallplate to change coax connections. My rig is a 2006.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #13

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it possible that your "tv2" is connected to the antenna?

Look at the area of the roof where the antenna is and then the direction the "tv2" cable is heading out the back end of the plate/box. Is it in the direction of the antenna?
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #14

SUN #2097
Ok if you have a picture it is correctly connected that much I can tell you there has to be a 12 volt feed to the antenna for it to work at all. The wires disappear in the wall so you really have no ideal as to what they are connected to one goes to the antenna guaranteed. Now with out taking mine apart or finding a wiring diagram my only guess the 12 volt antenna feed is common to all the TV connections so it may not matter if the antenna is connected to the TV port but what I can tell you the only way it is working is the antenna cable is hooked up. Now depending how much you really want to pursue this you will need a volt meter and a way up to your antenna. You will need to disconnect the lead at the antenna test the small wire in the center of the connector and the metal screw in part with a volt meter with the switch on it will be in the 12 volt DC range this I know because the TV has a picture next disconnect the leads inside until you lose the 12 volts that will be your antenna coax cable.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #15

SUN #768
It is possible the coax on TV2 should go to the ANT connection. Looks like you need a voltmeter to test to see if you are getting 12 volts on either TV2 or ANT. The Winegard could be working in passive mode with no 12 volts to the amp in the head end.

Since the existing wall plate has a built in protection circuit you could safely move the coax from TV2 to ANT and see if the reception changes.
Quote:
3. This unit is equipped with a polyswitch, (current limiting device), which will shut down +12 VDC if there is a direct short between antenna and power supply. Green indicator light will not light. Once short is eliminated, device will reset itself.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
Old 07-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #16

SUN #4364
dtstanton is an unknown quantity at this point
I use my Jack antenna's TV2 connection for my FM radio.

TT: 1988 Sunline T-1350
TV: 2003 GMC Yukon SLT 5.3L
dtstanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:06 PM   #17

SUN #2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
It is possible the coax on TV2 should go to the ANT connection. Looks like you need a voltmeter to test to see if you are getting 12 volts on either TV2 or ANT. The Winegard could be working in passive mode with no 12 volts to the amp in the head end.

Since the existing wall plate has a built in protection circuit you could safely move the coax from TV2 to ANT and see if the reception changes.
The Antenna is all most useless for any thing more that decoration with out 12 volts. You would have to be under the TV tower to get a signal.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #18

SUN #2097
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtstanton View Post
I use my Jack antenna's TV2 connection for my FM radio.
Yes they work great for FM they have no FM traps in the amps.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #19

SUN #7085
Thank you so much for the responses! Bunjin, I think you are correct that the TV2 coax is going to the antenna as, yes, it does feed up to the that part of the roof right along side the cable coax. I think what I am going to do next time I am at the campsite is to re-connect the old wall plate using the "antenna" connection instead of the "TV 2" connection and see if the everything still works. Assuming that works, then I'll install the new unit accordingly. I'll let you know how things work out. Again, thank you all so much for the help and suggestions!
Jazzy
Old 07-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #20

SUN #2097
OK I took mine apart it is the old style with a switch and a red light. The only connection that has 12 volts is the ant connection the connection on the plate does not the TV 2 connection does not. I live with in 8 miles of the ch 8 1700' foot TV tower I actually can see the lights on the tower at night from my field. I get absolutely nothing with out the 12 volt supply to the antenna. Here is what I think your antenna and cable coax are reversed. The cable is a very strong signal and probably is enough to get a picture at the antenna connection even though the antenna is not powered.