Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-31-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Potential problem with the fresh water tank fill line?

I found another potential problem today.. The fill and vent hoses for the fresh water tank, are routed down from under the sink. Once they came down through the floor, they both route down to the bottom of the tank and back up to the top of the tank. They then go into the tank inlets. That could potentially lead to frozen water, in the bottoms of both hoses. I would rather not put antifreeze in those lines when winterizing.

Is this something I should fix, or just not worry about it since it has been that way for 9 years already?

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #2

SUN #43
Trailblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
I would definitely look at fixing this as this has basically created a P trap in the hoses where water could sit. I agree I wouldn't want to have to be dumping anti-freeze into the FW tank in order to protect this loop.

One interesting question comes to mind. I assume you filled the FW tank last year so some water would have been sitting in the hose for last winter. Therefore, shouldn't we expect to see some damage this year or since the hose is flexible and since it is not a completely sealed system is there enough expansion in the hose to prevent it from breaking. Either way, I would still look at fixing it.

2003 F311SR
2005 T-2753
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer View Post
I assume you filled the FW tank last year so some water would have been sitting in the hose for last winter. Therefore, shouldn't we expect to see some damage this year or since the hose is flexible and since it is not a completely sealed system is there enough expansion in the hose to prevent it from breaking. Either way, I would still look at fixing it.

The unit was built 02/2002 and that hose has been like that ever since. I guess it's possible that it would already have frozen, if it was ever going to.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Gary

H'mm I agree with Bill on this one. I would not leave it now that one knows about it. You may have been lucky that enough evaporated during the hot season before winter set in since 2002... to not create a totally filled pipe. Did Chuck ever run the camper on the FW tank or always use full hook up? How many years did your unit sit on the dealers lot since Chuck traded it in? Odds may not have created the right seeds of "pain". How lucky are you feeling?

I will give one big heads up. If you have that green and white stripped water fill hose they can be a real bugger to get to seal to the fitting sticking out of the fresh tank. Sunline used FDA food approved silicone to help seal it. That makes it slippery'ier then all heck trying to get it to seal even with 2 hose clamps. I have heard from others that the only way they could fix the issue was to get ride of the ribbed hose and buy a potable smooth inside hose with had a braid in the tube for strength, not molded ribs. And not use the silicone.

Good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
John,

I do have the green and white ribbed hose. I have no intention of removing the fitting at the tank though. They obviously attached it to the tank, before putting the tank in place. There is no room, to pull it off and then back on. My plan is to remove it from the inlet port, pull it up through the floor and then cut some off. To me, that is the simplest and safest way to do the job. I can easily seal the hole in the floor again.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:59 AM   #6

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Gary,

When I replaced the outside fill fitting I found the hose had a low spot from the factory. Instead of removing any of the hose I simply pulled the ribbed hose out the camper sidewall, unclamped and replaced the fill fitting and then I pushed the fitting back in place. It was easy to werk on and no new holes. The low spot was removed by rerouting the hose at the proper level but let the curve go horizontal instead of up and down. Hope I made that clear. Maybe just a clamp of somekind holding the hose up would solve your problem.

jim
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
John,
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post

I do have the green and white ribbed hose. I have no intention of removing the fitting at the tank though. They obviously attached it to the tank, before putting the tank in place. There is no room, to pull it off and then back on. My plan is to remove it from the inlet port, pull it up through the floor and then cut some off. To me, that is the simplest and safest way to do the job. I can easily seal the hole in the floor again.

Good thoughts for sure. Not having to deal with the green hose on the tank fitting is something that if it can be avoided, all the better.

As Jim pointed out, maybe remove the water fill door flange if that is any easier. The little bit of butyl sealing tape you use to put it back on is not that much.

I had the FW tank air vent clear hose pop off the T310. There is no barbed fitting on the fill flange and the PEX clamp squeezed it right off. Was a heck of a stretch to reach all the way in there and put a SS hose clamp on it. Lying on my stomach through the kitchen drawer hole still hurts just thinking about it...

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
Gary,

Instead of removing any of the hose I simply pulled the ribbed hose out the camper sidewall, unclamped and replaced the fill fitting and then I pushed the fitting back in place. It was easy to werk on and no new holes. The low spot was removed by rerouting the hose at the proper level but let the curve go horizontal instead of up and down. Hope I made that clear. Maybe just a clamp of some kind holding the hose up would solve your problem.

jim

Thanks for the tip Jim,

Unfortunately, I have about 8-12" of hose to cut off. There is a huge amount of extra hose, next to the tank. It comes down through the floor, down to the bottom of the tank and then back up to the tank inlet. Our FW tank is 60 gallons, so it's quite tall!

Old 06-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post

Good thoughts for sure. Not having to deal with the green hose on the tank fitting is something that if it can be avoided, all the better.

As Jim pointed out, maybe remove the water fill door flange if that is any easier. The little bit of butyl sealing tape you use to put it back on is not that much.

I had the FW tank air vent clear hose pop off the T310. There is no barbed fitting on the fill flange and the PEX clamp squeezed it right off. Was a heck of a stretch to reach all the way in there and put a SS hose clamp on it. Lying on my stomach through the kitchen drawer hole still hurts just thinking about it...
I do intend to pull the fill port, to do this job. I do have to pull a kitchen drawer, to get to the foam insulation from around the FW tank hoses. It's a good thing I'm losing weight.... Hopefully, It won't hurt as much now!

Old 06-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #10

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I found your lost weight.

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote