Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #1

SUN #964
lewis
Send a message via Yahoo to lewis
Ordering a New Door

Well folks it looks as if I'm going to have to order a new door for my 85 18.5 sunline. What I'm needin to know is when ordering the door do I need to mesure the door it's self ? or Do I need to mesure the entire opening ? From the metal frame it mesures 24X68. Just the Door and screen door mesures 22X68. Can some one please help me. Vacation is coming in about 60 days.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Lewis,

What is wrong with the door? If it is rotten wood damage, that is somewhat easy to replace and would be much cheaper than a new door. I doubt you'll be able to find a replacement door exactly like the original.

Depending on the extent of the damage, you could probably rebuild it in a day or less if you just have to replace wood. If you have to replace plastic, then that does take more time to make it work with the existing door frame.

If the original is beyond repair though, I think you should measure the opening in the FW. New doors could have, and probably do have different size flanges, so a new door might not fit or might be very loose if just measured by the existing flange. Since most companies custom make these doors, they wouldn't return it either...

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #3

SUN #964
lewis
Door

Jon; The problem I'm having is getting the outer and inner skins to fit in the moldings. I had to replace the lower cross piece and the board running up the right side to where it was hinged to the unit. Also I had to replace the 2x4 block that held the door knob and dead bolt lock in place.
Also When I reattached the door the stricker needs to be re adjusted. I wish now I would have never tackled this project at least before the door would stay closed and I could lock the camper up. [/b]
Old 02-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #4

SUN #989
Ted-Thompson
Did you take the door off? I faced this dilemma just yesterday, and I found it wasn't too bad BUT I had the door off the trailer and on a workbench where I could have the side I was working on in the air, and work the molding back on gradually from one end to the other.

I can't imagine the nightmare it would have been if I was trying to do it on the trailer.

Just a thought.

1985 T-1750 #2342
Ted-Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #5

SUN #964
lewis
Ordering a Door

Ted, Yes I had the door off of the trailer. if the weather works in my favor I'm going to attempt this project one more time. LIke I said earlier I've just about reached the end of my rope with this thing. Have a great evening.