Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-16-2011, 07:30 AM   #1

SUN #1577
jbinnh is an unknown quantity at this point
noisy converters again

I have checked the past posts on this and currently think I will order a new unit to replace my American 6000 in the T-1950, however we are still 2-3 weeks from home and the fan and other vibrations drive us nuts. At night, I unplug from shore power so we can sleep. My question: If I am unplugged from 120v and turn my battery switch off, can I then do a little dissassembly and see if there is an obvious problem without fear of a latent elec charge lurking in the converter box? Any other suggestions are most welcome.
Thanks,
John

Old 08-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #2

SUN #2361
Cleon is an unknown quantity at this point
hi

keeping in mind I am no electrician, if it was me I would start by doing the following...

1) have an 120v appliance plugged/switched on
2) have a a 12V light on

Unplug the land line then unhook the 12V battery(s)

By having loads in operation on both voltage circuits at the time of power disconnection most, if not all, of the energy in the converter should be used up. That may not solve any charged capacitor potentials which shouldn't be an issue if you just want to take the cover off and have a "look". Just keep your metal tools away from the circuit board and any electrical connections if your not sure what you are doing. A dry popsicle stick may be a better tool.

Be safe

Cleon

Old 08-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #3

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe the fan in mine (which is quiet) only comes on when the battery is charging. Try turning the battery switch to off when on shore power. You don't need the batteries charging anyway so maybe the fan won't come on.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi John

Ah, the dreaded fan disease.... Yes we had that too....

If you have the CX6000 and no XL on the end then you have the same one I had. Fans are in the back of the unit. These showed up in the early 2004 model Sunline and back into the 2003's. The later 2004 and 2005 Sunline got the CX6000XL and the fans are in the front and a better unit.

See this post for pics of the fan
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f65/power-converter-upgrade-8888.html

I agree we could not sleep with those cement mixer fans running.... It would go off at 3:00am go tap it and some times it would shut up for 10 minutes and sometimes it would even get louder...

You say you are pulling the plug on the shore power at night, actually you only need to flip off the breaker that runs the convertor. Then you still have the rest of the 120 Vac things you can use. Keep flipping until you find the right one. On mine the convertor was on the auxiliary receptacles.

Draining the power like Cleon stated is a prudent measure. However you can see from my pic’s what you are going to find and odds are high you cannot do anything other then to find new fans or a new convertor. The bearings in the ends go out and then the rattle like a cement mixer…

The fans can be bought if you search in the computer parts stores or online electronics site. Look for the part number, volts and amps drawn on the fan. Mine where printed on the fan itself. American may still even sell just the fans but the PC board, they do not sell parts for any longer.

Good luck and hope this helps.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #5

SUN #1577
jbinnh is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks a lot for the info folks.when I do probe, I will take Cleons advice. Did try shutting off the battery before plugging into the shore line tonight, but fans started anyway with only the bathroom fan on. When flipping breakers I found the converter is wired to the main so cannot use anything else when that is off. Your description,John,of the noise and vibration is right on. FOr now, I believe the best bet is to throw the main Brkr inside and not have to run outdoors early am to flip the campground breaker. Will be anxious to see if the newer 6000xl is indeed a direct replacement and if I can handle the installation. Any more advice welcomed.
Thanks so much,
John
Old 08-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinnh View Post

Will be anxious to see if the newer 6000xl is indeed a direct replacement and if I can handle the installation. Any more advice welcomed.
Thanks so much,
John
Hi John,

Yes there is one heads up when changing the converter. Take great care to not mix up the white wires. Sunline used white as 120 VAC neutral and 12 VDC common. While both are white wires they are for sure not suppose to be common to each other.

See this post. At the end I explained this.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ans-12339.html

Good luck and if you can, post some pics of the before, during and after of the conversion. This topic comes up often. Your pain can help a lot of other good folks.

Good luck and let us know if you need any help.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote