Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #1

SUN #524
craig
no 12 volt power

Ok, help me out, I have all my interior power,lights, plugs,etc when on shore power but nothing at all when hooked to my tow vehicle. All my towing lights work,clearence,directionals,etc but no interior power at all. Can anyone make any suggestions? Its a 2000 model t2370 by the way
Thanks

Old 02-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Craig,

There's an in-line fuse for 12VDC. I'm not sure where it is on T2370. But it sounds like this fuse may be blown.

I know on my 1999 T-2670 it was under the front bed. On our 2005, I believe it's in an exterior box mounted on the front of the frame.

Since your T2370 has a front bedroom I would check under the bed to see if it's there. On our T-2670, there was a small wooden box located near the front of the trailer that the top slide off and the fuse was located inside this box.

I would check this first.

The other questions / things to check (sorry I have to ask as stupid as it sounds), does your trailer have a DC kill switch and is the switch set to off or do you have a battery installed and connected?

Hope this helps.
Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Craig

What you are describing sounds like the connection between the battery and the power converter buss bar is not working.

Do not know your exact model and the older ones are wired a little different. BUT this is what to look for.

First, unhook the truck 7 wire. Have a battery in the trailer. If it has a disconnect switch, turn it on. We are assuming the battery is good.

Now you are on pure battery power. Do you have any lights inside at all? Assuming you do not.

1.Look for the fuse, circuit breaker (auto-resetting) OR fusible link that Hutch was talking about. See here on my 2004, it has an auto re-settable circuit breaker inside this junction box on the TT tongue. This feature may have come around 2003 so I do not know if you have it.

If it does not have this circuit breaker and there is no fuse, then they have used a fusible link. It looks like a piece of wire with usually black thin rubber shrink sleeve over it that melts open when over current happens. Steve Collins here on the forum knows where some of these are. He has been thru that on his 1999 I think it is.

The next place, not impossible, but not likely, is you blew both high amp fuses in the power converter box. OR they wiggled out. In the converter there are 2 fuses that connect the battery to the DC buss bars. Shore power can work all the 12 volts but no battery if these 2 fuses are out.

They are normally the top two fuses if you have an American Enterprises Centurion. They will be the 2 highest amp ones in there. Either 2, 30amps or 2, 25amps or 2, 20amps.

See these top 2 green fuses on mine, they connect the battery to the buss bar. These are in addition to the circuit breaker, fusible link. Edit. forgot to add the pic. Steve helped point you to the master fuse which is most likely the problelm. Also check the battery ground that it is good. No ground at the battery will now allow power to flow from the battery either but shore power and TV will work OK.

If this does not help get you to the problem, do you have a voltmeter? Basically you have to track down where the 12 volts is not getting to on the way to the power converter box.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:56 PM   #4

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: no 12 volt power

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig
Ok, help me out, I have all my interior power,lights, plugs,etc when on shore power but nothing at all when hooked to my tow vehicle. All my towing lights work,clearence,directionals,etc but no interior power at all. Can anyone make any suggestions? Its a 2000 model t2370 by the way
Thanks
Craig, I think you will find that your rig has a master fuse located in a little wooden box on the floor of the trailer in one of three places:

1. First, remove the bottom drawer from the driver's side wardrobe next to the bed, and look on the floor.

2. Lift the bed and look into the storage compartment underneath. Again, driver's side and well forward, close to the front of the trailer on the floor.

3. Last resort is to look under your sofa on the floor. I bet the fresh water tank is there, and the pump, too. Search along the floor between the tank and the front wall of the compartment.

I don't have a picture of it, but it should be about 6"x6" by a couple of inches tall, made out of thin plywood. The cover is held in place by a couple of screws. Pull the screws and check the master fuse(s). If memory serves, they are 30 Amp. This fuse is on the main 12vdc line from the trailer battery to the charger. If this fuse is blown, your system will behave exactly as you have described.

Your other trailering lights, turn signals, markers, etc. are not controlled via this master fuse, and will work normally when hooked up to the tow vehicle.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:31 AM   #5

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's mine:

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:26 PM   #6

SUN #524
craig
All,
Thanks for your help, It was indeed a blown 30amp fuse! I traced it after some research. One question though, when connected to shore power, the cooling fan on the coverter seems to run continuoulsy??? Is it possible for it to run always on its own or should i wonder if there is a problem? This is my first Sunline and i'm not familiar with the quirks it may have.

Thanks in advance for your help
Craig
Old 02-23-2008, 07:46 PM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
All,
Thanks for your help, It was indeed a blown 30amp fuse! I traced it after some research. One question though, when connected to shore power, the cooling fan on the coverter seems to run continuoulsy??? Is it possible for it to run always on its own or should i wonder if there is a problem? This is my first Sunline and i'm not familiar with the quirks it may have.

Craig
Craig,

H'mm fan running all the time. Boy where have I heard that before..... OK need to ask, what exact model number converter do you have?

I just replaced my American Enterprises Centurion, CX6000 just because of fan problems. In my case though the fan noise was so bad I had to do something. Here see this post, it might help a little on your fan issue as another member also had the similar issue. Power Converter Upgrade

The newer converters have larger heat sinks in them and the fans modulate on speed pending the heat load. The older ones where dummer and some times cycled. At least on the CX6000. By the time the CX600XL can out in early 2004, larger heat sinks and multiple fans speeds came along. Yours, pending brand, model and age may not have even cycled and does just run all the time

Hope this helps

Glad you found your problem and thanks for reporting back in. This helps us learn too.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #8

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
All,

Craig
Craig,

My Magnatek's fans run all of the time. They're pretty quiet, but can be annoying if you've got sharp hearing. Your 2000 Sunline may have the Magnatek also. The newer units have the American 6000's or the 6000XL's. Their fans are only supposed to run when there is a heat build-up.

JohnB posted a great thread on upgrading his convertor. If I had the spare bucks right now, I'd be doing that, too.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote