Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #1

SUN #2174
suebobby is an unknown quantity at this point
Nitrogen filled TT tires.

Does anyone have pros or cons about filling TT tires with nitrogen instead of air? I was reading oxygen is what aides in the interior tire deterioration. Do you think nitrogen would help?

Old 06-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #2

SUN #597
henryj
Smile

I have never tried it, but as usual am quite opinionated. Consumer Reports did a long term test awhile back. Their conclusion, IIRC, was that it does marginally reduce pressure loss as tires are slightly less permeable to N. My sense after reading was that the benefit was too marginal to put up with the hassle of not being able to use my own compressor in my driveway. Also, if you travel at different times of the year--ambient temperature affects pressure--you mess up the N anyway. We air down a bit on our way to FL and air up again on the way back.

The O thing is also over hyped--or over blown if you like. Atmospheric air is already 78% N. Taking out the 21% O should help in theory, but in my experience the O in air does absolutely nothing. My tires are always worn out and need replacement anyway--and there is no rust on the inside of the rims years later.

Atmospheric air has been just fine since the advent of pneumatic tires almost 100 years ago, and it's still good enough for me.

Just my opinion.

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
I can’t argue with anything Henry said.

We have N in all our vehicle tires (but not the trailer) only because that’s what the tire shop we go to uses exclusively.

I have found that with N, there is less pressure loss in the tires over time.

They say the tires run cooler with N, but I’m not sure if that’s true or not.

Some say that tires with N ride a little rougher, but I haven’t felt any difference.

I still use our compressor to adjust tire PSI even though they are filled with N. The tire shop said that’s not a problem.

IMO there’s no big advantage of going with N in tires.
Hope this helps.
Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Complete waste of money.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #5

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTHutch View Post
I have found that with N, there is less pressure loss in the tires over time.
I have a friend who tows with a van. He runs truck tires that rquire 90 p.s.i. He had to find a truck stop to add air since those 25-cent pumps won't come close.
Since switching to N, he has been a year with no leakage. For him, it was worth the $20 to avoid the hassle.

Teach
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #6

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
I have a friend who tows with a van. He runs truck tires that rquire 90 p.s.i. He had to find a truck stop to add air since those 25-cent pumps won't come close.
Since switching to N, he has been a year with no leakage. For him, it was worth the $20 to avoid the hassle.

Teach

That is why I have N in my tires, the constant tire pressure and it stays there.

jim
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #7

SUN #385
Hematite
Nitrogen in tires is like synthetic motor oil. They are solutions to a problem that doesn't exist.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #8

SUN #597
henryj
Jim, if I lived in FL... but out in the real world where it gets cold in winter, we have to air up and down at least twice a year.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #9

SUN #1830
Henry,
Where I bought my tires will "adjust" the N pressure anytime I want and for free. A few minutes that may never happen, here is Florida.

Rick,
There might not be a problem that requires N in the tires but it makes me feel better and I didn't break the bank to try it. Maybe it is like all the different colors we can get vehicles in, it just makes us feel better.

jim
Old 07-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #10

SUN #987
awellis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hematite View Post
Nitrogen in tires is like synthetic motor oil. They are solutions to a problem that doesn't exist.
Au contraire mon frere, my buddy's problem did exist and the N fixed it.

I don't use it in my truck 'cause I'm always airing up and down, depending on my load, and I use pressure in the 35-45 psi range.

Teach
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #11

SUN #1830
I am also considering using the synthetic oils. Not because they may be any better but because they are not oil based. Even if the claims of better fuel mileage are bogus other things make me want to use it. Haven't we seen how the costs of gas has dropped for lack of demand? What would happen if everyone quit throwing used oil out about every 3,000 miles or three month?

jim
Old 07-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #12

SUN #2097
I would like to know how you get the air that is all ready in the tire out? Other wise your are just going to add nitrogen to the existing air. I hear claims of air loss but I never have to add air to my tires and I check them at every oil change and I get all the nitrogen I need from my compressor. Check some of the tire manufactures web sites and see what they have to say. Compressed nitrogen is cheap so the profit filling tires is huge.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #13

SUN #1830
I don't know about the evacuating of air inside the tire but when my tires were fiilled they were done with a machine, not just a tank blowing it in. Maybe there is a certain amount of removal with the machine they fill the tires from. I'll ask about that next time I''m at the dealer. I did pay, whatever the charge, for the first fill and I thought of that as mainly a labor and machine cost. Any refills or pressure changes are free at this dealership. Others may want to charge though.

I don't know if the old tires leaked because of bad valve stems or rim seals but after I had maybe 30,000 miles on them I did have to keep pumping them back to pressure. No problem since I do have air here at home. Since this is the first set I've had with N I will have to keep an eye on how it goes. IF N turns out to be as much trouble as regular air then I have two options. One is I can return to the dealer and let him solve the leaking problems, on his dime. Two is I can just add air here at home.

Whatevre happens I know I'm not locked into using N from now until, whenever.

jim
Old 07-03-2011, 05:56 PM   #14

SUN #2097
If it was done with a machine they were taking the nitrogen from the air we all breath also known as a nitrogen generator. Here is some good reading really not pro or con just some real good common sense----www.rma.org/newsroom/release.cfm?ID=193
Old 07-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #15

SUN #1830
I'm sure there are many pros and cons for both air and N. humidity taken from regular air probably is close to the same thing since humidity turns to steam and expands raising tire pressure when heated by the friction of rolling rubber. this means cool air doesn't support the tire as well as a gas that maintains a more constant pressure. If you put lots of miles on a tire at one time, maybe the fluctuation in pressures with regualr air wouldn't make much difference. If you drive a few miles each trip then maybe the constant pressure of N would help tire wear.

I do not know the end results or all the ins and outs but I know I am trying the N. So far I do feel steering control is more constant from the time I leave the driveway instead of waiting until the tires 'warm up'. I also feel a more constant feel to the ride since the pressures remain more constant also.

Edited to add: I don't know anything, nor do I have opinions, about moisture and rust inside rims but the Ford I have has pressure sensors inside mounted to the rim. If the N protects those sensors then That is a good thing.

jim