Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-10-2009, 05:48 AM   #1

SUN #654
fairlaniac
Newest development in refer, still not completely working

I’ve had some posts on my refrigerator woes in my Sunline. It’s a Dometic 2612, 2 way. At first I had no refrigerator operations, now I have some life wit ha few different turn of events but I’m still not completely fixed. I replaced my circuit board with a Dinosaur 711. I have cleaned all of the contacts. On the 120V side I still get no action at all. If I have the 120V plugged into my house, have the refrigerator set on “Auto” and turn it on, I’ll hear a click eventually and most times the “check” light comes on and pops the GFI breaker at my receptacle in the garage. I have checked the heating element by contacting the wires with my multimeter and I’ve gotten a 44.1 ohm reading. I’m not sure what that means but all I know is the refrigerator is not working on 120V.

A question I have, does the 120V use any propane at all? Occasionally (last night) when I turned on the refrigerator using 120V it sounded like the burner trying to light or some similar sound. Or does 120V just rely on the electric heating element?

Onto the propane 12V a few things happening here. I actually pulled the 120V plug since it’s not working to default the refrigerator to 12V. I started off by manually lighting the heater as my igniter did not seem to work. After a few hours running in “Auto” mode the “check” light would come on most likely due to the igniter not being able to refire? So then I put the refrigerator in “manual” mode (constant run) and manually light the burner. It runs for 10-15 hours and somewhere along the line it goes out with the “check” light illuminated. I’m not sure why it will run for hours and then shut off? The gas is full, the battery is brand new and it’s plugged into the garage receptacle. No last night I was double checking a few things, re-cleaning contacts, etc… All of a sudden the igniter is now firing and it lights the burner but after 30 seconds or so it goes out. This is the newest development so I’m not sure why after ignition it goes out? Is that a thermocouple issue?

I know there is a lot going on here but I’m determined to fix this thing. It’s been a learning experience and I’m getting to the point where I almost understand the entire working of the refrigerator but obviously there is a bit more to learn. Maybe you can help?

Thanks,
Doug

fairlaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Doug

See comments in blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaniac
I’ve had some posts on my refrigerator woes in my Sunline. It’s a Dometic 2612, 2 way. At first I had no refrigerator operations, now I have some life wit ha few different turn of events but I’m still not completely fixed. I replaced my circuit board with a Dinosaur 711. I have cleaned all of the contacts. On the 120V side I still get no action at all. If I have the 120V plugged into my house, have the refrigerator set on “Auto” and turn it on, I’ll hear a click eventually and most times the “check” light comes on and pops the GFI breaker at my receptacle in the garage. I have checked the heating element by contacting the wires with my multimeter and I’ve gotten a 44.1 ohm reading. I’m not sure what that means but all I know is the refrigerator is not working on 120V.
44 ohms if OK on the AC element. The spec sheet calls for 40 ohms +- 10% so 44 is within tolerance. http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/reeftec.pdf See this site for tech manuals. http://bryantrv.com/docs.html

The breaker poping, did you do the short to ground check I typed you in the last note?

A question I have, does the 120V use any propane at all? Occasionally (last night) when I turned on the refrigerator using 120V it sounded like the burner trying to light or some similar sound. Or does 120V just rely on the electric heating element? The 120Volt system is separate from the LP. The 2 do not work at the same time on a fridge. If the burner was trying to actually light while on electric, something not right. Here is the install instructions on the RM2612 it talks about the auto switching between LP and electric. It is one or the other http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/12seriesim.pdf

Onto the propane 12V a few things happening here. I actually pulled the 120V plug since it’s not working to default the refrigerator to 12V. I started off by manually lighting the heater as my igniter did not seem to work. After a few hours running in “Auto” mode the “check” light would come on most likely due to the igniter not being able to refire? So then I put the refrigerator in “manual” mode (constant run) and manually light the burner. It runs for 10-15 hours and somewhere along the line it goes out with the “check” light illuminated. I’m not sure why it will run for hours and then shut off? The gas is full, the battery is brand new and it’s plugged into the garage receptacle. No last night I was double checking a few things, re-cleaning contacts, etc… All of a sudden the igniter is now firing and it lights the burner but after 30 seconds or so it goes out. This is the newest development so I’m not sure why after ignition it goes out? Is that a thermocouple issue?

I know there is a lot going on here but I’m determined to fix this thing. It’s been a learning experience and I’m getting to the point where I almost understand the entire working of the refrigerator but obviously there is a bit more to learn. Maybe you can help?

Thanks,
Doug
My truck is done at the tire shop. Be back later

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:44 AM   #3

SUN #654
fairlaniac
JohnB,
Thanks for the responses to this and the other post.

I think I'll be using a cooler for this weekends camping trip. I was just trying to get the gas side of the refigerator working and then deal with the 120V. Since it seemed like the igniter was working the other day I thought I'd try one last ditch effort before giving and using coolers. I bought a new thermocouple and installed it. Now I'm a few steps back again. Now the igniter does not ignite, I can manually light the heater but once again over night it went out and the "check" light was on. It had been running for 8 hours before I went to bed last night around 10:30. 6AM today it was out? I'm not sure why it stays lit for hours and goes out? I put the old thermocouple in before I headed to work today and the refrige did not ignite, but I could manually light it. I then went to work. I called the wife at lunch ans she checked it and it's still lit (6 hours so far).

So it seems as though my ignition is not working properly and something makes it shutdown after numerous hours of operation while in the manual mode?

Very frustrating, maybe I should have concentrated on the 120V side first?

Thanks,
fairlaniac is offline   Reply With Quote