Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #21

SUN #824
jpspaz
I took a look at the fridge roof vent yesterday. It's intact. No entry holes. I'm still stumped but no new mice since I put in the peppermint pouches.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #22

SUN #43
Trailblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm a little late to this thread but reading through it I did not notice anyone mentioning the one possible entry point I spoted on my slide and plugged. Try going inside your unit and look right at the bottom of each corner on the side of the slide where it seals against the bottom of the wall and floor. Take a look to see where the aluminum piece the on the bottom of the slide seals against the floor. I found that each end of the aluminum piece was not sealed and left a 2 inch square opening allowing a direct path into the rig. I had to plug the ends with the a copper pot scrubber and then sealed it with expanding spray foam. This sealed the each ends and I have not seen any mice in the unit this winter. Sorry, I don'thave pictures of this area, but hopefully you have the idea of the area I am talking about from my description. If not, next time I am at my rig I will try and take a picture of the area.

2003 F311SR
2005 T-2753
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #23

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer View Post

I found that each end of the aluminum piece was not sealed and left a 2 inch square opening allowing a direct path into the rig. I had to plug the ends with the a copper pot scrubber and then sealed it with expanding spray foam. This sealed the each ends and I have not seen any mice in the unit this winter. Sorry, I don't have pictures of this area, but hopefully you have the idea of the area I am talking about from my description. If not, next time I am at my rig I will try and take a picture of the area.
Bill, H'mm, yes a pick would be great. Man, I do not remember that but it is obviously on yours and might be on mine as yours and mine are of the same era.

Do you mean here on the end of the slide floor? This is the slide out and in the repair process. You can see a little daylight shining thru.

This is the only pic I have close looking way down to that end.

I'll have to go look to see if mine if plugged up when the slide is "in"

jpspaz's 2006 is made with the 2005 slide redesign feature but it still may have something of the hole you are describing.

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #24

SUN #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Bill, H'mm, yes a pick would be great. Man, I do not remember that but it is obviously on yours and might be on mine as yours and mine are of the same era.
When I found the opening on mine I remember thinking at the time that I wished I had a camera so I could post the picture to show others.

Quote:
Do you mean here on the end of the slide floor? This is the slide out and in the repair process. You can see a little daylight shining thru.

That is the area but when the slide is in. On my unit, when the slide is in the aluminum piece that is on the underside of the slide floor that seals against the main trailer floor when the unit it does not have the ends sealed which results in a direct opening into my unit. I looked through the photos in your albums and the closest I can find to describe the problem is here:

Each end of the aluminum piece you see in this photo behind your hand are not closed off. The opening allows a direct opening to the inside of my unit when the slide is in. As a result I had to close it off with the expanding foam.

I will try to get to my rig in the storage lot in the next week to grab a picture.
2003 F311SR
2005 T-2753
Old 03-21-2011, 05:48 AM   #25

SUN #89
Bill, OK now I know the area, I'll go look tonight myself and report back.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #26

SUN #824
jpspaz
With my slide closed I felt that there might be enough of an opening so I put screen in the corners and closed the slide against it. I posted a picture of it earlier in the post. When its open, it seems okay on the bottom but there is some sunlight that comes in on the top left corner (from the inside). I'd like to find some good, thick weatherstripping I could put all the way around. Anyone know where I can get some? All I could find was that thin foam stuff.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:54 PM   #27

SUN #43
I got over to the trailer in the storage lot today and took a picture of the area where I had to plug the entrance hole in my slide room.

jpspaz, I did see the screen you added but I am not sure whether or not it would fully close off the opening since your 2005 slide design is different than my 2003 slide design. I would suggest to take a look at the inside corner of your slide and compare it to mine in the photo below to see if you have a similar opening or not and whether or not the screen fully blocks it off.

I have circled the area in red where the opening was. There was also an identical opening at the opposite end my slide room. Since my slide room floor was replaced, I am not sure if there was something there originally to block off this opening or not and that it was just not put back when the floor was replaced. JohnB, Gary, Kitty, perhaps you can take a look at the same spot on your slide room and let me know if yours also has this opening or if there is something blocking it off.

2003 F311SR
2005 T-2753
Old 03-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #28

SUN #89
OK we really want to solve this mouse issue.... And I'm sure Jpspaz does too...

Bill, man I'm looking at your slide and scratching my head how that pic is like it is....

That is obviously an inside pic looking out. And for sure you had a major hole there.... But I can see the wall and the bottom of the slide floor but I cannot figure out how the slide floor is so far up off the metal trough????

Either this is a picture optical illusion or the 5 er's are made different then the TT's

I did take pics of mine out side looking up in that hole area. On mine the hole you are showing does not exist. At least from the outside. I'll have to go inside and look out.

Here is the front area. What we are going to see is behind here

And here is from the bottom looking up at the slide seal area when closed and how the floor seals off

Now the rear side. Again this area behind here

And from the bottom looking up. Now on mine in the back area Sunline had a sort of square block of foam stuck in there. You can see it sort of squeeze in.

And a little further to the siding

I'll go inside and look out. I can do this on the rear side, the front side I'm into the bathroom wall and I won't fit in that space....

So far I'm still not seeing how they could of got in with this TT slide setup.

Thanks

John

Old 03-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #29

SUN #1943
lori meister is an unknown quantity at this point
I put dryer sheets everywhere. I open them up, lay them flat. They don't like to walk on them for some reason. I get ones from the dollar store. I"ve never seen any evidence of mice yet. Going on 5 years now
Old 03-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #30

SUN #43
John, you are correct. The picture is from the inside looking out. I think the photo makes the slide floor look higher than it actually is because I got the camera very close to the floor and the corner to make sure I was able to get a picture of where the opening was.

I will say that I really like these threads as they help me see how different units are built and gives me great ideas of where to look for other possible mouse intrusion points. I have learned of a couple of different possible access points from this thread that I hadn't thought of. As a result I will definitely be taking a better look at those areas this year.

Looking at your photos John, I am wondering if my unit is missing the square foam block that yours has. I am thinking this is something left off by the dealer when he did the floor repair. If you could take a picture of the same corner on your slide, it would be great to see how the two compare and would give me an idea how yours is sealed and show me what is missing from my unit.
2003 F311SR
2005 T-2753
Old 03-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #31

SUN #824
jpspaz
I'm equally stumped looking at Trailblazer's photos. My slide definitely looks different from that. John and I seem to have the same setup. John, your photos from underneath showing the corners is exactly where I put the screen. The black vynil or whatever it is seemed a little flimsy. I don't know if anything got in that way but I was grasping at anything I could so I tried to do that to rule it out.

John what are those pipes sticking out from under your trailer in the first photo? Is that an exterior propane connection?
Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #32

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post

John what are those pipes sticking out from under your trailer in the first photo? Is that an exterior propane connection?
You mean these pipes on the left?

That is my tank sprayer setup. See here. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...pics-9496.html

If you ever do find the entry spot, "please" post back. Like Trailblazer stated, we all learn from these kinds of search and destroy missions.... and the pics really help. We learn so many other things from the pics.

John

Old 03-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #33

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailblazer View Post

Looking at your photos John, I am wondering if my unit is missing the square foam block that yours has. I am thinking this is something left off by the dealer when he did the floor repair. If you could take a picture of the same corner on your slide, it would be great to see how the two compare and would give me an idea how yours is sealed and show me what is missing from my unit.
Bill, the camper is up on jack stands today doing axle bearings repack and brake check. When I get it back down on the ground I will open the slide and take some pic's of that foam block in the corner. It is only on the rear side. The front does not have it. I think it was a "fix it" in case the aluminum angle that seals up the slide to the main camper some times misses something. When I had the slide floor apart I took it off and put it back on never understanding what it really did. Now after this mouse post I'm going to figure out what exactly it is suppose to do and make sure I have it in the exact right spot.

Stay tuned for pics, may be this weekend or next.

John

Old 03-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #34

SUN #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Bill,

Stay tuned for pics, may be this weekend or next.

John
Sounds good. No rush on the pictures. When you do take the pictures can you also take one similar to the one I posted of the inside rear corner with the slide in so I can compare it to my photo.
2003 F311SR
2005 T-2753
Old 04-06-2011, 05:51 AM   #35

SUN #824
jpspaz
I was under my trailer again and I think I figured something out. Someone mentioned earlier the location were the grey water pipe goes into the floor. I noticed that the stone wall I put up around two sides of the parking area last year makes it easy for the mice to get to the sewer connection. They could run along the pipes and get to the point where the grey water goes up into the trailer. I had trouble seeing it from the bottom because of where it is located, but once I can get the slide open I'll open up that acces hatch to see what I can find.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:47 AM   #36

SUN #43
Nit sure if it has been mentioned before on this thread or not, but a great way of identifying various entry points on the underside of the trailer is to wait until nighttime, then place a bright light under the trailer and go inside and look for spots where you can see the light coming through and seal off those spots.
2003 F311SR
2005 T-2753
Old 04-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #37

SUN #1005
chanchsirk
Have you tried citronella to keep mice away? I have an apache pop up that I have stored outside backed up to a rock wall and wooded area for years and no small critters in it - there are many places that mice could definitely get into the camper but haven't. The only thing that I have stored in there different than in my sunline is citronella bucket candles......the sunline however is a different story - no citronella in there and I just found a mouse nest the other day behind my fridge!! looks like its time to put some citronella in the sunline now while I do the repairs.....
also I have heard that peppermint oil works very well if you are looking for a non poisonous method to remove them......

1988 Sunray T-220
'04 Ford F150
chanchsirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #38

SUN #824
jpspaz
I tried some pouches that were soaked in peppermint oil. I can't remember the name of the product, but all it did was make the interior smell like a candy cane. The mice still came in and I killed two more this past weekend. I went in tonight and put the slide out. In the corner area of the the slide I had a trap on each side. Neither were touched. I then removed the access hatch to get to the plumbing for the shower. There was evidence of mice in there, but the floor covering was in tact. Where the shower drain went into the floor it was filled with spray foam. I also noticed the grey tank vent pipe went down through the floor next to this and there was a large gap. For some reason they didn't spray foam that one. I will buy some more foam and take care of that. It was difficult to see anything else in there because of so much packed in there. But under the bathroom sink runs the water lines from the tub area to the rest of the trailer. I am going to seal that off with metal screen on both sides. It was clearly a passage way to the rest of the trailer. So if they are getting in that way they won't get far.

I also noticed some light getting through where the main hose goes from the fill spout to the fresh water tank. I had sealed this with grey caulk a couple of years ago but obviously didn't do a perfect job. You can't tell from underneath because of the dark color. I used metal screen from above in this area and sealed it off. I'll spray foam that from underneath as well.

With my slide out, there are tiny holes in each corner but I don't think they are an issue. A mouse could maybe get out that way but I don't think they could get in there because its way off the gound and they'd have to walk upside down to get to the opening. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow. I'd like to replace my slide out rubber weatherstripping. Anyone know where I can get a replacement?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #39

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow. I'd like to replace my slide out rubber weatherstripping. Anyone know where I can get a replacement?
While you are out with the camera, take a pic straight up at the cross section profile of the seals. They changed a little over the years.

I have some leads on them as I have to replace mine soon. The 4 screws in the corners they put on to hold the seal in cut thru the rubber and made that part tear out. Will do that different on the next set.

Will post links soon. Have to dig them back up. I'm interested if anyone else has found a source as well.

This is my 2004 seal profile. I know the 2005's are a little bit different.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:50 AM   #40

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
After discovering and sealing entry points it is a good idea to wash the entry trail completely so future 'visitors' don't have hints as to which way to go. They seem to travel as much with the nose as by sight or feeling so wash the top of the drain pipe by physically scrubbing it all around with a good cleaner.

jim

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote