Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #1

SUN #603
deerslayer
Mothers cleaner wax

Just though I would share this. I have been meaning to was our new 267sr since we got it a couple of weeks ago, gonna finally get her done tomorrow. I went out this morning before going to work with a bottle of Mothers California gold cleaner wax and wanted to try a few spots to see if I would be wasting my time. I used it by hand on the rear right side of the trailer underneath of the the gutters stop. Have black streaks that I havent been ablt to get off with just washing and since I thinned the paint on my coachman I am scared to death to use anything on my sunline. Well I rubbed the trailer and buffed it off and WOW streaks are gone and man that krystal coat shines! I tried a couple other spots, the rear under the bathroom window, front right side under the gutter along side the awning support and each spot cleaned up with somewhat minimal effort! I now have a renewed vigor to shine the trailer up! Hopefully gonna start tomorrow morning around daybreak before it gets to stinking hot, also I am breaking out my orbital polisher with foam pad. Gonna try it on the slow setting and hopefully it will work just as well! I will let everyone know how I make out, ut I wanted to tell everyone how well the mothers did so easily!!!

Old 06-15-2008, 07:06 AM   #2

SUN #300
DF5.4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had good luck with the cleaner/wax too. I need to clean my Sunline soon. It's just tough to find the time. Work has been nuts since for the last few months and I'm going out of town again this week. I usually wash the TT with a good car wash and hit the streaks with Simple Green. If the diluted Simple Green doesn't clean them I grab the bottle of the straight stuff. Then I use the Meguires cleaner/wax. The last couple of times I did it I did it by hand. The next time I'm goint to break out the orbital polisher.

1999 T-2970 Solaris SE
2007 Ford Expedition

DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:22 AM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
To the camper folks who actual do wax the Krystal Kote siding,

I have never tried this. I have heard that it dulls the finish, but it sounds from your reports, you can get it to shine. And since I heard this, I have never tried anything different.

I also notice on my TT, that the Krystal Kotet does not seem to be on all of the siding. The gold trim does not have it and there is some white that does not seem to have it either. I can tell the way the siding cleans and the texture that it “appears” the Krystal Kote is not treated there. Up in the main height of the camper, sort of 4 to 6 feet up, the surface is really a hard surface and will not scratch and actually slightly bumpy at a micro level which I assumed was the coating. Actaully the non Krystal Koted area cleans easier as the little bumps are not there, but watch the scratches in the bare painted alum.

I can Awesome and Magic Eraser clean the Krystal Kote back to bright white even from heavy winter black streak grim, but the brand new sheen is not there.

Are you saying that the wax does not dull the Krystal Kote? Can you tell a difference in the black stream build up on the waxed verses non waxed? Thinking with the waxed, the water grime would slide off easier.

Thanks

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #4

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
I use cleaner wax on just about anything that's painted or the appropriate material and gets weather. I've found that the oils in the wax do a lot for any paint's longevity to withstand over time. Also leaves a film that helps in UV absorption and water/dirt pentration. Cleaning a car that's been regularly waxed is hugely easier than cleaning one that hasn't been.

It also does the same for vinyl decals, certain aluminums once they've oxidized, gel coated fiberglass, and plastic laminants. Granted there are things you want to keep wax free as anyone would know who's waxed a car and gotten it on the wrong plastic or rubbery surface.

I did a small spot on my camper after I pulled it home and scrubbed the 1st layer of crud off it. I was pleased with the results and will get the whole thing waxed when time permits and the other more important dilemas are resolved.

Personally, I have mixed emotions about using a buffer on all the bumps and corners of the trailer's outside... I'll do it by hand to insure no build up spots that a buffer and my inexperience with using one will tend to leave. No matter what your process is with cleaning, before using the wax, always rinse with water and dry before waxing. You don't want any other chemicals there when you're putting the wax on. You also want to be out of the extreme sun/heat when you're using waxes.

What I'd certainly stay away from... polishing or buffing compounds or anything that has a 'grit' to it. They're strictly for gel coats.

John, I think you'll be very satisfied using wax on the rig, I'm curious as to why they'd claim it'd result in dulling the krystal kote.

Take care,
Jason
Old 06-16-2008, 03:21 AM   #5

SUN #603
deerslayer
Well I amde out fairly well yesterday, was unable to use the orbital polisher. I have smooth foam pads for it and it just wouldnt get down into all the creases and cracks. Maybe if I had a waffle shaped pad it may have works. I hand waxed the entire left side of the trailer and half of the back until about 11:30am when the sun finally broke free from the clouds. I am extremely happy with how the trailer looked on the waxed side. All the black streaks are history and it has a nice shine to it. The krystal coat is great, now the regular aluminum siding down the middle of the trailer still needs a little more work but it will come up. I also have a few more stickers to remove because of peeling. And yes there are parts of the trailer that do not have the krystal coat, the very top gold color and the very bottem gold are aluminum and the very center where the main stripes are is regular painted aluminum. Gonna try and do some more waxing this afternoon after work and it looks like I will be taking a bottle of wax with me when we leave thursday to head to Hershey park! Like I said, overall I am thrilled with how the trailer is looking, cant wait to get the rest done!
Old 06-16-2008, 04:35 AM   #6

SUN #199
reysaint
Confused

Hi,

I am confused about waxing a Sunline with a Krystal Kote finish.

The owners manual states DO NOT WAX. Has anyone done any research on the Krystal Kote finish to determine if waxing does harm to the finish?

When I wash the trailer, I use dawn dish detergent (per the manual) and sometimes use Awsome cleaner (per the advise of members of this forum) to remove the black streaks.

Ray
2007 T-1950
Old 06-16-2008, 10:41 AM   #7

SUN #603
deerslayer
I really cant see how waxing could harm the kyrstal kote, I would think using the cleaners such as awesome would be more harmfull than wax. All I can really tell you is the side of my trailer that I just waxed looks great and I cannot see any damage from the wax
Old 06-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #8

SUN #379
2beagles
My Krystal Kote was staring to look prtty ueven until I waxed it with Meguiars Next Wax and it looks much better. It's also esaier to get the marks off now.

2017 F-150 Crew Cab
2003 2570
2beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #9

SUN #300
DF5.4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm getting confused. Is the kyrstal kote on the fiberglass or aluminum sided Sunlines? I have the Solaris SE. It has the fiberglass sides.

1999 T-2970 Solaris SE
2007 Ford Expedition

DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:45 PM   #10

SUN #199
reysaint
The Krystal Kote is on the aluminum siding.

Ray
Old 06-16-2008, 09:04 PM   #11

SUN #225
Mark
Maybe this would be a better way to wax the siding:

http://www.autogeek.net/flitz-buff-wax-ball.html

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote