Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-05-2017, 12:47 PM   #1

SUN #9416
rewcamper is an unknown quantity at this point
moisture meter mess up

I just typed a great piece on the moisture meter and it clicked itself off and got lost..so I'm making this short and you can ask questions, I cut an access hole in the floor of my 1985 T 1750, as it had high readings under the dinette area which has been removed. I removed the piece..absolutely dry, no rot no mold, no wet insulation with the piece in my hand it read 75 %. the whole trailer is dry inside with the usual rot in lower corners, and some repaired areas around the fridge and water heater. floors are solid with original sub floor and vinyl covering. moisture meters are sensitive to metal do you think there's metal in the OSB board floor ? I have a few other areas totally independent of any walls or water access, that are solid but read high. the actual older rotted areas of floor that are now dry but rotted read lower than the other random areas I checked. jdeas ??? I'm not cutting any more "access " holes

Old 08-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #2

SUN #9416
rewcamper is an unknown quantity at this point
it is summer, and it's been relatively humid here, but I wouldn't think it would cause a high floor reading

Old 08-07-2017, 07:39 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi,

Quick note as I'm on a remote phone connection.

I have had OSB floor give high readings due to a fungus growing on the bottom side if the OSB next to wet insulation. The wood is hard, but I can see the white chalking if something growing on it. It shows up in my 2004 T1950 post towards the end.

Mark some spots on the floor that have the high readings. Record the readings and recheck every few days. Then let air get to the bottom sides of the floor so it can dry out. As the days go by with air getting to it, the moisture keeps dropping. It took 2 weeks to go from 75% down to ~ 10% of good dry temps. See is this helps any

Yes, metal will trick the meter if you are over the top of it. But there is no metal in OSB other then screws etc that I know of. Make sure the camper frame is not under the location you are scanning.

Hope this helps and let us know how you make out.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote