Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #1

SUN #1953
frank_a is an unknown quantity at this point
Miscellanious holes in exterior

There are a number of holes in our Sunspot exterior that are not used anymore. What should I seal them with? How should I seal holes wiring is running through?

Trying to wrap up the rear rebuild of this baby. Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!

Frank

Image to come as soon as I figure out how to flatten a pic!
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Frank

Holes in the side of the camper to the outside world is an issue. Water will eventually find it's way in.

Are these big holes or little? Are we talking a holes from a number 10 screw or a 5/8 hole a wire came out of?

The 1/8" holes you have some options. Plugging the hole is one thing, next is do you have paint to touch it up so it does not look so bad?

That non leveling Dicor works on small holes. Or auto body filler that is water proof.

For large holes, The auto body filler trick or a small tab of Eternabond pending the location if you have any around. Just buying a roll for 2 holes is not cost effective. The Eternabond will for sure seal up the hole but it comes with the sealant on the edges to deal with. I would only use the EB in a certain location the sticky sealant will not be an issue with.

Others may have some things they have done. I have only had to deal with screw holes and my camper is white to start with so the non leveling Dicor has solved the screw sealing issues.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:52 AM   #3

SUN #1953
Mostly screw holes, but a few larger ones I want to seal John. For instance, someone had installed utility tail lights at some point. Since I bought the trailer, I have replaced the utility lights with the large RV tail lights, but holes are still left from the utility light mounting. Then on the upper right marker light I have screw holes to deal with as well as a large hole the wires pass through. I plan to line the wiring hole with electrical tape so the wires don't abrade, but wonder what the best way to seal it is?

Anyways, I should have posted pics last night, but here's some. You've given me some good ideas, so I'll see what I can do. By the way, we don't have any Eternabond around!

thanks again for the help, I sure do appreciate it.

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holes1.jpg (42.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg holes2.jpg (47.8 KB, 1 views)

Old 07-02-2011, 06:55 AM   #4

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Frank,

Ewwww! Those are some ugly holes for sure. Where the old brakelights were I think I'd make a patch large enough to cover the entire area and then paint it to match the TT. I'd use ribbon putty and screws around the edge with wood backer strips behind the sheetmetal.

The clearance lights on my TT have plastic snapin sleeves to protect the wiring. Probably found in electrical supply stores. To cover the old holes and mount new clearance lights might could be done with another cover plate and then mount the new clearance lights to that.

When I was replacing the outside access doors I used a old "no smoking" sign, trimmed to size. It was a heavy gage aluminum that I could shape with the jigsaw and a file and still have body enough to support wnything I placed on it.

Since you have access to the back of the holes you might could tape the backside with aluminum tape and then even bondo or Dicor. I don't know if the Dicor can be smoothed over with a wet finger like silicone but if so that might be a easier fix.

jim
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #5

SUN #1953
All these rear holes are covered by my new RV tail lights, so for a quick fix I used butyl tape goo. Fills small holes fine, plus I used it for the wiring holes, as well as a small roll on top of each bolt hole. I may edge all the lights on top (and maybe the sides) with a small bead of 3M 4200 or something similar. Need to get all these lights mounted so I can clean up the wiring!

Thanks Jim.

Frank

Old 07-02-2011, 07:08 AM   #6

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Frank,

Where the new tail light covers all the old holes, make up a backer plate out of aluminum or ABS. Place a strip of the butyl putty tape all around the perimeter, and mount it to the TT. Since you have interior access, you can even through bolt that.

Then drill a new hole for the wiring and mount the new light to the trailer.

If you want to pretty up the inside, make up another matching plate and mount it there.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #7

SUN #1953
I made backing plates out of luan (wood). Lights are through bolted.

I've got to keep going Steve, running out of time. That is an excellent idea though, and I have some .082 aluminum left from my rebuild-the-door project. The backer plate would be between the light and exterior of the trailer right?

Frank

Old 07-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #8

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I made backing plates out of luan (wood). Lights are through bolted.

I've got to keep going Steve, running out of time. That is an excellent idea though, and I have some .082 aluminum left from my rebuild-the-door project. The backer plate would be between the light and exterior of the trailer right?

Frank
Yup.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote