Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-18-2015, 02:44 PM   #1

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
minor problem

This is about that grill that covers our furnace. There couldn't be anything more simple, right?

I think the previous owner might have played around with the "catch" and now it won't stay in place. When I slide into the lip on the top and then light press on the bottom that little roller thingy should snap right into place. However mine won't stay put.

I know it should be on the outside of the metal frame on the bottom of the furnace box. I tried to re-bend to correct the previous owner's misalignment but something just isn't taking place.

Do you guys know of any secretes in making that thing snap into place or is it trial-n-error?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0805.jpg (100.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0806.jpg (77.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0807.jpg (97.7 KB, 0 views)

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #2

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll check mine and see what the magic is!

P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 04:23 AM   #3

SUN #6257
I was packing the trailer yesterday for a short trip and every once in a while I'd stare at the dumb thing. I honestly think it's been bent out proportion so many times that the little hump where that roller snaps into has lost its sweet spot.
I think what I'll do is admit defeat. Down near the bottom where the screws hold the actual furnace into the wood framing of the cupboard I'll drill a small hole in the grill and utilize an existing screw underneath and add a wing nut so to open/close the grill as needed.

Still, I'm curious what you see. Thanks for the offer though.

Jerry & Debbie
Old 06-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #4

SUN #5039
JerryJ,

The roller is meant to roll under the sheet metal with the label thus pulling down on the grille. I believe it's job is mostly to help keep the grille from vibrating/rattling. As you know the top of the grille just slides down onto the lip of metal. In general it just "hangs".

The deformed metal I see in your picture shouldn't have any Bearing on the roller. Note the adjustment screw and nut for moving the roller up. The application when new was all the way down like you have, however, with the "Jerry-rigging" (pun intended) going on you may need to raise it to make contact with the proper location (bottom of labeled cover plate). See your last picture.

Hope this helps.
P3 break control
Old 06-19-2015, 10:20 AM   #5

SUN #5039
JerryJ,

As I said the roller (top of) contacts the bottom of the cover panel (part with label) and will go above and not touch the flange (part that is deformed in your photos). If the roller contacts that flange's upper surface it would try pushing the grille up.

It appears that someone may have tried bending the roller spring housing and/or flange to get it to roll under flange. Wrong contact location.
P3 break control
Old 06-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #6

SUN #6257
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjin View Post
JerryJ,

As I said the roller (top of) contacts the bottom of the cover panel (part with label) and will go above and not touch the flange (part that is deformed in your photos). If the roller contacts that flange's upper surface it would try pushing the grille up.

It appears that someone may have tried bending the roller spring housing and/or flange to get it to roll under flange. Wrong contact location.

That's kind of what I thought too. And yes, previous owner(s) must have done some of their own bending.
I think the short fix is to utilize one of the screws that holds the furnace to the wall, under the grill. drill that hole and use a wing nut affair.

Now I found my hot water heater is leaking somewhere. We just got back from a weekend camping trip, so will tackle that now.
Thanks for the help

Jerry & Debbie