Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-19-2020, 07:00 AM   #1

SUN #11914
Jodlorraine is an unknown quantity at this point
Lp issue

First let me say I'm very new to the RV world. I recently bought a 2005 Sunline Solaris Lite to live in. I have it parked. I stay in it when I'm not working out of town.
It does have a few issues but I nothing I thought that was major. Last weekend I filled both 20 lbs lp tanks which I was told should last me at least all summer seeing I'm only home mainly on the weekends. In 8 days, one tank is already bone dry. I'm only using lp gas for stove, oven and furnace. I've used the furnace maybe four nights, the stovetop once and the oven twice. Any ideas why I would go through a 20 lb tank in 8 days?? Let me also say I do turn the furnace off when I'm gone and I have also checked to make sure the regulators are screwed on good and tight and I have no odor of gas inside or out.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:19 AM   #2

SUN #2366
j52wf is an unknown quantity at this point
What about hot water? Furnace and hot water heater are both using propane, you will use a lot. Especially if it is cold. If you are not paying for the electric, I would suggest a SMALL electric space heater (if allowed). Also, switch your hot water heater to electric if you have that capability.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:42 PM   #3

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Furnace is a propane hog.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:24 PM   #4

SUN #10869
Another Mike is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote trimmed for brevity...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodlorraine View Post
I have it parked. I stay in it when I'm not working out of town.
Quote:
I'm only home mainly on the weekends.
Quote:
I'm only using lp gas for stove, oven and furnace. I've used the furnace maybe four nights, the stovetop once and the oven twice. Any ideas why I would go through a 20 lb tank in 8 days??
I'm not familiar with your Sunline model... How well insulated is it?
I have mine parked at work, plugged into an outside AC outlet and live in it during the week (it saves a 1 hour commute each way)... I use an electric space heater for most of my heating, and use a good electric blanket on the bed. When it gets really, really cold I plug in another electric blanket that is packed around the water heater and water pump since they are normally off.

I use the furnace only when necessary... it's a propane hog. Always off at night and when I'm gone. I turn it on with a remote switch about a half hour before I get out of bed and off once I'm dressed.

Do you have a propane refrigerator? They can use a lot of propane. Some are propane only, some are dual (propane or electric). Most have electronic ignition on the propane... Since I'm plugged in at work I run mine on electricity only.

Do you have a propane water heater? If so there is no need to have it running when you are not using it... i.e. overnight or while you are not there. Some are propane only, some are dual (propane or electric). I run mine on propane, it's much faster recovery (15-20 minutes versus an hour or more). I use mine only for the shower, and I turn it on when I get out of bed. By the time I've had my coffee and breakfast (made with hot water heated in the microwave) the water heater has cycled off and I can take a shower. I turn it off when I get out of the shower... and I double check that it and the furnace are off just before I leave the RV.

And if your are going to be gone for a while then switch off the propane completely. There is no sense in burning propane to keep the trailer warm and the water hot 24 hours a day for 7 days in a week if there is nobody there to use it.

One caution... do not use a unvented propane heater inside a closed trailer as burning propane generates a large quantity of water vapor... it's unavoidable as burning propane or butane generates heat and water vapor. The water vapor will condense into droplets on the inside of the windows or any colder surface. A friend inherited a travel trailer and his only experience with propane was camp stoves and lanterns on boy scout trips... He didn't know about the propane/water vapor issue... He couldn't get the furnace running reliably so he used a Mr. Buddy propane furnace to keep warm all one winter. That was the start of the mold problem in the trailer that he fought for years. In your case the water heater, fridge and furnace are vented, the stove and oven (if you have one) might be. I don't have an oven, the stove is not vented except through the hood and I never have that on.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:17 AM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Running just the furnace chances are pretty high you'll get no more than a week on a single 20 lb tank.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:17 PM   #6

SUN #44
SanDimasJoe
I also have a 2005 Suline Solera 2553. I had to have one 20lb tank valve replaced because it leaked when the valve was opened. I had the tank recertified and valve replaced. This fixed my problem. Just a thought.

SanDimasJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lp gas