Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #1

SUN #237
Capt Skup
Looking for info on roof repair/replacment

Well I guess it had to happen. Taking a look at the roof of our 2002/3 Sunline 281SR fiver I have found the dreaded soft spot. Right at the left rear corner. Real bad. Was able to pull the rubber roof away from the channel that holds it in place. Found the the "wood" product that was once in one piece is now mush and wet. Well the trailer is about 10 years old. I am on the fence, either band aid it and trade it in or fix it. I think I can do it myself using ladders and maybe rental scaffolding. But I remember reading on here that another owner found a man in the Winchester, Va area that did rv repair work on the side. I think he used to be employed with Fleetwood at their old factory or something like that. If you happen to know how to get in touch with him I would appreciate any information. The task itself doesn't look too bad. Remove everything that penetrates the roof (a/c, fantastic fans, antennaes), remove the old roof membrane, repair any damage, replace the underlayment and than install a new rubber roof. If I do it myself, I will not use the worthless luan board Sunline used. Maybe 3/8th or 5/16th exterior grade plywood. Thanks for the help.

Capt Skup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:23 PM   #2

SUN #237
Capt Skup
I have a good source for Eternabond tape but curious if I will be able to find 8x30 sheets of EPDM here in the mid atlantic.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #3

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
You might want to PM KanyonKitty or EMD Driver - they are the ones who had their roof replaced............good luck!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Hey there Capt. Skup!

I was wondering if we'd ever get to hear from you... The guy that fixed our fiver was Roger Miller.. He worked at the same factory, through 3 different owners.. Terry, Fleetwood and finally Northwood. He now has a regular job at the local Camping World as a RV tech. He also just built a 40x60 shop at his house, for doing side work. He did an excellant job on our fiver and the repair has held up great! He even found two soft spots, that we didn't even know were there and fixed them too.

Here's how bad our roof was:

One of the spots we didn't know about:

Rotten roofing removed:

1/2" plywood, in place of the OSB that Sunline used:

New plywood in the damaged corner:

EPDM adhesive being applied:

EPDM going back in place:

All done!

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #5

SUN #3260
Skyraider50 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you are considering doing it yourself, you may want to spend a little quality "Google" time. I was looking into the same thing and was able to find fairly easily a guy who did his own and took about 50 pics for each step with descriptions at each step as well. He said it took him about 40 or 50 hours.........
I am sure on youtube as well good info can be had. Good Luck!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #6

SUN #237
Capt Skup
Thank you all for the information. My biggest problem with doing it myself is finding the time. Between working, 3 hour a day commute and trying to spend time with the family leaves little down time. Thank you Gary for the information, I will pursue that route. I think since the trailer is about 10 years old I will see about having the rubber membrane replaced. Will look into something more durable maybe vinyl like the Teton had. And definitely new insulation. Been away from this forum for awhile, have a new big Searay keeping me busy, can't wait for spring. We have talked about getting a new rv, could by my cousin's 2009 Jayco bunk model but truthfully I have about had it will poor contruction of just about every brand I have looked at. We just want a well built camper, not a rolling mansioin on wheels.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Skup,

Well, if it were me, I'd just have the roof fixed. I really think unless you go really high end in an RV, your not going to get the quality you have in your Sunline, unless you just want a change. Even though a new roof won't exactly be cheap, it sure will be a lot less than a new RV and dealing with all the "issues" you'll have to deal with in the new one. You know the quality you have, so I'd have it fixed unless you have your heart set on some "other" brand. Sorry, I'm a diehard Sunline owner, and plan to keep our Sunny "going & going & going", just like the energizer bunny One trend I have noticed with the new/newer rigs is the trend towards the darker interiors, sorry I like my light interior, especially on cloudy, dreary days.

I am sure you would be very pleased with the work/repairs that Roger would do to your great Sunline, plus if you'd have him do it, we might even get a chance to meet one another !!

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #8

SUN #43
Trailblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Skup,

I have to agree 100% with what Kitty has said. When the time comes that our unit needs a new roof, we are planning on contacting Kitty and Gary to get the name of the guy who they used to fix their roof. I have to say when I hear about the issues and problems other people post about their new rigs on other forums, we plan on keeping our rig and as long as possible.
2003 F311SR
2005 T-2753
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #9

SUN #237
Capt Skup
Thanks to Gary, I contacted the person who performed the repairs on their Sunline. Will be making a trip this weekend with the trailer in tow. Looking forward to meeting "the contact", really looking forward to getting it repaired correctly and ready for another camping season. I sure, with the way economy is these days and not much hope in it turning around any time soon, I did not want to even think about taking on any debt. So we will get the trailer fixed and hopefully get another 10 years of faithful service. Think I will also ask "the contact" to do an inspection on the structure, a good look over, to see if there is any other concerns. I have read of issues with the slide out flooring but ours looks okay to the untrained eye.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #10

SUN #237
Capt Skup
About the only other trailers that I have researched and personally looked over that I felt was worth the money are the Arctic Foxes. Maybe that will be the trailer I will replace the Sunline with when the time comes. Do enjoy when a Sunline travel trailer owner approaches me and says, "I never have seen a Sunline fifth wheel trailer before". Leads to a nice chat and sometimes consumption of a few frosty Sam Adams.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #11

SUN #237
Capt Skup
I towed the trailer up to Winchester Sunday for the repairs. I think I left it in good hands, nice to find someone who takes pride in their work. Mr. Miller will be replacing all the damaged framiing, removing the thin paneling and installing a supportive roof along with a new rubber membrain. Looking forward to picking it up and seeing the new roof installed. Will be good for another 10 years of camping if we decide not to go bigger. Only one Daughter at home now but with two big Golden Retrievers it does get a little bit crowded.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Aw come on Capt., two goldens shouldn't need a bigger rig, HAHA We have 2 greyhounds and a weiner dog, but we didn't go bigger because of them, we went bigger so Gary could get the "big corner shower". Of course the greys just lay around and nap about 22 hours a day. Hey, just trade the Goldens in for 2 greyhounds

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #13

SUN #4988
richnc is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi guys,

This is Rich in the Winchester area, Va. I was looking to get in touch with Mr. Roger Miller who does the RV roof repairs on the side. I think I may have met him at Camping World, but would not like to approach him concerning repairs while at work. I found a leaky area I have been playing with for some time has gotten much worse. The folks at camping world are out of the minds with their pricing, more then I could get for her. Normally I would do the work my self but; back and arm pain (age related) are keeping me for attempting the job. My wife and I have been moving around the last several years and finally found a place to put our camper and now this, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Rich.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #14

SUN #93
Rich, the person you want to reach out to is EMD Driver (Gary)...I'm sure he'll be chiming in here but if not send him a PM....it is his contact!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 04-12-2013, 06:03 AM   #15

SUN #4988
richnc is an unknown quantity at this point
RV roof repairs

Thanks for the reply. Gary and Skup have already replied with the needed info on Mr. Miller.
I really appreciate all the help on this site.

Thanks, Rich.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #16

SUN #3898
bhazzard is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi this is Barbara - we have a 2006 26' Sunline SE travel trailer and plan to replace the roof ourselves with parts we just ordered from Camping World. We were towing it last weekend down the highway and looked back in the mirror and saw insulation blowing up from it at the front end. We are attempting it because we are assuming it is crazy expensive to have it done - our previous trailer rubber roof replacement cost $5K but that was covered by insurance. Any thoughts/suggestions for a novice attempting this themselves to include does the A/C unit have to come off the roof (probably dumb question just not sure how my husband and myself can handle it with only a ladder (no scaffolding). Just in case we need it, would appreciate also the contact info for Mr. Roger Miller.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #17

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Harbor freight and Menards offer scaffolding for about $200.00. If you keep your eyes open you could find one on sale. I paid $99.00 for mine, new, I should have bought 2 for that price. I use it allot when cleaning roof or recaulking seams.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...?q=scaffolding
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #18

SUN #3898
Great idea Jim! Thanks for the info.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #19

SUN #93
Barbara - a lot of the SOC members are at a M&G (Buttonwood) this weekend...so it may be a bit before someone (EMD Driver) answers with info on Mr.Miller.
We loved our 2007 T-2499
Old 06-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #20

SUN #3898
Kathy and Leo - OK. Thanks! I will have to check out these events for the future.