Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #1

SUN #10153
Aariel is an unknown quantity at this point
Lighting Propane Stove?

I can not find directions on how to light the propane range and stove. I've included pictures of the oven (1) with knobs (2 & 3) and the upper inside of the oven (4) and the underneath part of the oven. Do I need to light the pilot light somehow? Thanks for your feedback.
RE: 1997 Solaris T2653
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV Stovetop.jpg (14.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg RV Stove knobs left.jpg (48.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg RV stove knobs right.jpg (80.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg RV Stove inside oven.jpg (64.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg RV Stove under oven.jpg (67.8 KB, 49 views)

Old 04-24-2019, 07:58 PM   #2

SUN #9498
Draughty is an unknown quantity at this point
You are figuring it out.
Are the spot on the Oven knob that says 'Pilot' when you are ready to use the oven get a long lighter and have it ready to go you don't want to let a lot of gas build up before firing up that lighter.
Once you're prepared turn the knob to Pilot and hold the lit lighter in front of the orifice until you get it to light.
Once lit and when the thermocouple is hot enough you should be able to turn on the oven.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:06 AM   #3

SUN #10153
Thanks for your reply. There appear to be two pilots, but I'm not sure if that's correct. Of my two oven pictures, the top picture is the apparatus inside the oven but at the top ... I wonder if that lights the top burners? Then there is apparatus inside the oven but underneath the bottom rack and plate ... maybe that's for lighting the oven? Or maybe it's not a pilot at all...

Can I try to turn a burner on and just hold a match to the burner to light it? What is the knob on the right that says "LITE LITE LITE..."?

Hoping to not blow myself up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draughty View Post
You are figuring it out.
Are the spot on the Oven knob that says 'Pilot' when you are ready to use the oven get a long lighter and have it ready to go you don't want to let a lot of gas build up before firing up that lighter.
Once you're prepared turn the knob to Pilot and hold the lit lighter in front of the orifice until you get it to light.
Once lit and when the thermocouple is hot enough you should be able to turn on the oven.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:29 AM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy one of the long neck BBQ lighters much easier on the fingers!
Old 04-25-2019, 07:05 AM   #5

SUN #9498
I'm with Mainah you need a long neck lighter!
The lite lite lite is probably a striker type lighting mechanism. If you turn it do you hear a click? That's a piezoelectric lighter that should be sparking at all your top burners.
Personally I almost never use those preferring to just use a lighter as I find it less frustrating and quicker.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:06 AM   #6

SUN #9498
The top tube?
I can't see your dial control for the oven but generally that's a broiler burner? But that is just a guess by me...
Old 04-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aariel View Post
Thanks for your reply. There appear to be two pilots, but I'm not sure if that's correct. Of my two oven pictures, the top picture is the apparatus inside the oven but at the top ... I wonder if that lights the top burners? Then there is apparatus inside the oven but underneath the bottom rack and plate ... maybe that's for lighting the oven? Or maybe it's not a pilot at all...

Can I try to turn a burner on and just hold a match to the burner to light it? What is the knob on the right that says "LITE LITE LITE..."?

This pic is of the oven thermostat. It is not the pilot. Do not hold the lighter next to it.

This burner area is where the pilot is and where you light it. And like the other guys said, use a long grill lighter, not a match. Odds are high the match will burn out before the pilot lights.

I am not 100% familiar with the Magic Chef oven burner, but the thin little tube on the left side sure looks like the thermocouple. So the pilot should be in that area as the pilot when lit will heat the end of the thermocouple. So, turn oven knob to pilot, press the knob "in" and hold it, and hold the grill lighter in that area. When it lights, wait about 10 to 15 seconds and then let go of the knob. If it blows out, try again. If you can get a better/closer pic of that area left, we can tell for sure if the pilot it there. If you give us the model number of the range, we can help look for a manual on line for it.

This stove top knob "click, click click", is a click type spark generator as was said. As you rotate it, it should snap and will produce spark at any of the 3 stove burners. Assuming it even works any more, turn the burner of choice to "Lite" (which is high gas) snap the Click Click Click knob a few times. Many times the clicker does not work right when they get old. You can use that same grill lighter used for he oven and light the stove burners.

Since you are new at this, when you first turn on the LP gas at the tanks, it is very possible there is a lot of trapped air in the lines. When you turn on a stove burner, you can hear hissing but it may be air and not gas. Holding the grill lighter on until the air is purged out and then it will ignite. And the clicker will not have a chance at lighting an air filled burner. They only work, when they do, after the stove is purged out.

Sunline normally always has a small window somewhere near the stove. Crack the window open to allow fresh air in and gas stink out.

Your doing great learning your new camper! Keep up the good work and keep asking questions as needed. The pics are GREAT!

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:49 PM   #8

SUN #10153
Thank you these are very helpful answers!

Tags
gas range, stove