Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #1

SUN #806
kkeduda
Leaky window!

I was camping this weekend, had a couple of hours of hard rain and decided to go to bed. I put my hand on the bed near the window and it was all wet!

It seems that water was running down the camper, got into the top of the window, and ran down into the interior of the camper. A little duct tape fixed it perfectly for the time being, but now I need to fix it the right way.

There is already some silcone caulk there. It's probably very hard to see, but there are some pictures below. I pulled the hanging bead of caulk out to see it in the picture.

Are those sliding white plastic pieces just cosmetic covering? Are there any areas that I don't want to caulk or seal?

I've read that silcone is bad, butyl tape is good, but I don't know anything about that tape.

Is there a good thread that will give me some advice on window sealing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Keith

PS Aside from the minor leak, it was a good trip to locust lake state park in PA. One more picture below.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Duct tape as a temporary fix was a good idea. I am not familiar with that type of window so I don't know about those white plastic pieces but as you can see, silicone is not a good way to seal anything on a trailer. In another thread someone used DAP Dynoflex 230 to seal around the windows but I think if you had water comming in then the real fix is to remove the window, look at the condition of the wood frame and see if there is any rotten wood. If the wood is ok use butyl putty tape to make a new seal and reinstall the window. Note, in those depressions on the siding, put a short piece of butyl tape to fill the depressions then cover with one long piece of butyl tape.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #3

SUN #806
kkeduda
Removing the window sounds like a scary thought...

Can you give me some suggestions for that general procedure? Remove some screws and just pull it out?

Does the strip of butyl tape go between the window and the trailer itself?
Old 07-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
The plastic is just a screw cover. It seals absolutely nothing. Pull off that plastic trim and you'll find screws every three inches or so that hold the window in. They are either #2 square head screws or a simple screw with a 1/4" hex head that you can use a socket on.

Pull the screws off on all four sides and the window should come right out, but it will take a little tugging to break the existing butyl tape seal.

If you break the plastic trim, it's available new still, last I knew. Make sure to keep a small part of it, because you'll need to be familiar with the profile view of it to order new. There are a few different styles. I got mine from All-Rite.com when I last got some.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #5

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes it is a scary thought if you have never done it before. After the first time you will feel like a pro. You may want a helper just because 4 hands may make it easier than 2 the first time. When the window is out you will see where the butyl tape goes, between the window and the trailer. Remove as much of the old tape as you can. Make sure the new tape covers all the way around. When you put the window back and tighten the screws the tape will squish out around the window frame. Use a plastic scraper to gently remove the excess tape. I use a cheap plastic putty knife from my local hardware store. There is a thread here someplace by JohnB, with great pictures, showing how he redid a door.

edit: Here is the link to the door repair JohnB did. It shows the putty tape and the scraper he used to clean up the excess.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...ics-11717.html

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:24 AM   #6

SUN #3575
Musikaldave is an unknown quantity at this point
Important to get the putty seal between the window and the trailer siding etc and then some kind of seal over the screws and around the edges of the frame. I used silicone to seal mine and putty in between. I know it won't last forever but maybe at least a couple of years! Good luck!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #7

SUN #806
kkeduda
I've really appreciated all the help I've gotten from this forum.

I finally got around it fixing my leaky window. In case anybody else is researching how to do this project, I've included several pictures below to help out.

I was really apprehensive about the job at first, removing a whole window seems like a serious proposition. However, it went pretty well and the whole thing took me less than a couple of hours. It hasn't rained hard yet, so I really don't know how well it has worked...

First, here is a corner of my window where it leaked. When it occurred, it temporarily patched it with duct tape. That was my wife's good idea.

Next, the duct tape removed showing that same section.

Next, I removed those plastic covers. They just slide off. I did break one of them, but I found some replacement ones at my local dealer.

Next, I removed about 5 billion of those little screws from around the window frame.

One thing that I didn't picture is the actual removal of the window. Ater the screws were taken out, I took the plastic putty knife and ran it all along the perimeter into the gunky sealing tape between the window and trailer siding. That sort of broke it loose so that I could remove the window. This shows me removing some of the old sealant after I had removed the window.

I took the new butyl tape that I got from my local Boat n RV dealer and placed in all around. I pushed it down a bit so that it sealed well.

I replaced the window, and pushed it in a bit, then started replacing those 5 billion screws.

As I screwed them all in tightly, the butyl tape squishd out around the edges. I used the putty knife to "cut" the excess off.

The finished product. Notice that I hadn't replaced the plastic trim yet.

To anyone else that is doing this job, I hope this helps!

Now I need to move onto fixing the paneling and water damage inside.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #8

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Good Job !!!!

And thanks for sharing the pics. They will benefit others in the future.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote