Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-26-2008, 04:03 PM   #1

SUN #4
sunlineclub
Leaky City Water Intake or Water Heater?

My husband and I took the Sunline out for the first time this season over the weekend. When we were packing up to leave and unplugged, we notice the back corner or the trailer was dripping water from underneath. Pressing up on the underside of the trailer did feel wet throughout the corner.

We used the fresh water tank all weekend and did notice the water pump cycling on and off quite frequently, and left it turned off when not in use. (Figured it was just the age of the pump and would deal with it later.)

After arriving, we tried to determine the source of the leak. We inspected the water line to the city water connection from inside the trailer. The line itself seems fine, but right underneath where the city water connection is was damp. We also removed the cardboard and insulation from around the water heater. The cardboard on the bottom of the water heater was damp.

Another thing to note, when we pressed in on the city water release valve from outside the trailer, a huge gush of water came out. Is this normal? We have not hooked up to city water in over 2 years. (The pump wasn't on and the fresh water tank was basically empty)

At this point, we're not sure if it is a problem with the water heater or the city water intake. Any thoughts? Or suggestions on how to be sure?

Thanks in advance,
Sarah

Old 05-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #2

SUN #597
henryj
Water Leak

If you can't actually see water leaking anywhere then you're down to trial and error, which is always easier if everything is dried out, but here are some ideas even for a wet situation.

If you have a winterizing bypass, I'd use that to cut the water heater out of the loop and run the pump. Since you know the pump is cycling too often, if everything is now normal it would be the heater. If you don't have a winterizing bypass, it might actually be worth installing one as part of the trouble shooting--unless others come up with better ideas. I haven't had this problem so this all just off the top of my head.

My 2499 has lots of space that I could see the city water leaking if that was the source. But I would only try that second, because the city water will just run if HWH is leaking and not clue you to the problem the way a cycling pump would. However, a tissue like Kleenex is good for finding small leaks. Just hold it around the city water inlet and you'll know right away if you have a leak there long before you can see a drop of water actually accumulate and drip off.

Pressing in the city water check valve is not a good idea unless you shut off the pump and release the line pressure first by opening a faucet. The function of this valve is to keep the pump from pumping water out of the city inlet. Under pressure this valve has lots of resistance and would be difficult to push in--and could break if it was forced. Since you have a leak, that likely released the pressure enough to allow you to push in the valve. Even with the pressure released there's still plenty of water in the line to give you more than a handfull when you push the valve. So that's normal and, no, I don't think you've hurt anything here.

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Sarah

I do not know what vintage Sunline you have, year/model.

A few things, when the system is filled and the water primed the pump should not cycle a lot. Need to define how many times it did it in the course of an hour. If 2 or 3 and not using any water, this is not great. The pressure is going somehwere

The pump cycling means generally 1 of 3 things.

1.A leak on the pressure side bleeding off the pressure

2.Over a very long time period the air pocket in the hot water heater is dissolving (do not think this is your issue)

3.Bleed back to the fresh tank thru the check valve in the water pump.

Since you said it was wet inside, it sounds like a leak. If your camper has the Pex style fittings, the areas where they are screwed together have rubber washers in them. These joints get loose over time and most times just grab them and tighten them back up will stop the leaks. It is good practice to actually check each of these style fittings every year as over time the do loosen up. Just check them for tightness, it they are loose, tighten, if they are tight great.

I agree with Henry on the tissue paper or use a paper towel at the joints. If it soaks it up, then you have a problem to dig into deeper. If tighten will not stop it, then the rubber washer may be bad

Here is a pic of a pex style fitting I’m talking about.

Here is one on the fresh water incoming line of a T2499

And here are some around the HWH of a T2499. These while screw fittings, have different internals on the by pass kit.

Basically look at every plumbing joint, galley faucet area, bath faucet, water pump, HW heater, outside shower, city water connection, etc

Now to the city water inlet. In that garden hose fitting on the outside of the TT is a check valve. It keeps water from coming out when there is no city water hooked up. It is also a back flow preventer when city water is hooked up. If you push the button looking thing in the middle of it and pressure is in the lines, water will come flying out at you. Or even dribble out if low pressure. Do not push it to just test it. Most have a little rubber O-ring on them that can blow out of position going backwards with flow under pressure, then it will leak big time.

Good luck, Let us know what more we can do to help you trouble shoot this.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:49 AM   #4

SUN #4
sunlineclub
Thanks so much for the help, John. We determined the problem was the city water inlet. I ordered a new one and replaced it over the weekend with the help of your instructions and photos. Really very easy to do, especially when our local RV dealership wanted over $200 to do this. All fixed for less than $15 and we are happy as clams!

Thanks so much,
Sarah
Old 06-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Sarah

GREAT

Glad things worked out. "We" love it when a plan comes together

No need for the thanks, but gald to have it.

And all of us here on Sunline Club want to thank you as well for all you do to make this site what it is. So if we could save you a trip to the dealer, that is even better.

Happing Camping

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote