Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #1

SUN #864
Nancy G.
Leak in 2006 1950 near couch--any thoughts???

We just came back from Mystic, CT and found a little water on top of the "cubby" near the couch under the front window, which has a pop up cover. The edge of the couch was also wet, but nothing else. We figure it's from driving in the rain because we've not had a leak before, and as you know it's rained plenty this summer!! We can't seem to see a seam that would be near that point where water might be kicking up as we move. Any thoughts???

Nancy

Nancy G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #2

SUN #597
henryj
The front window can be a problem as the cover does not keep out any water while you're driving. In fact water can work its way underneath and pool in the corners the whole time you're on the road. Check these lower corners and make sure the extra caulking is intact:

Then also check the putty tape around the outside of the window, especially into the ripples of the aluminum siding. I have fiberglass, which makes it easier, but I cut off all the squeezed out dried up putty tape with a plastic putty tape tool and ran a bead of polyurethane caulk around there instead.

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:03 PM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Henry

Did you have water inside from that corner? and did you add the caulk or did Sunline?

I do not have any leaks but after EMD_Driver had his I started looking. And I can very easily see a leak sneaking in from the aluminum siding ripples and getting under the putty tape. If the weather holds off and stops raining long enough I have some non self leveling Dirco I was going to add around ours.

The front outside is always under the line of fire with water when driving. It is on an angle and everything from the roof comes over the top if your rig is slight nose down. The side windows are more plumb up and down and the water does not land on the outer edge so much. That was part of my adding of my down spouts. The water fly’s out the gutter and beats on my clearance light plus the rear side windows. Now that problem is no longer.

Pics here go a long way as I never gave the inside a thought. But your right, it can pool in there as the sill is tipped inward. On mine I have stuffed in a 1" thick piece of insulation foam board. Maybe I was lucky it helped keep some out but I doubt it. Maybe I'm just tight right now. This year on the way to Buttonwood we towed 8 hours in the beating down rain. The camper was shined up and spotless when it left the house, but that lasted about 20 miles before the heavens opened up... But we had no leaks.

However after seeing a few here with the problem, I'm going to take preventative actions to stay dry and tight.

Thanks for that pic.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #4

SUN #597
henryj
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB
Henry

Did you have water inside from that corner? and did you add the caulk or did Sunline?
I've never had a leak and don't recall adding the caulk. If I did, it was awhile ago. Does anyones else have caulk in these corners? I recall reading here a few years ago that there was a problem with the gasket around the window pulling away in the corners, and if Idid the caulking, it would have been then.

We have a front bedroom and never open the cover. It's certainly something others should check too if they don't use that window. Sunline deleted the window for front bedrooms in '06, I believe, and I'd just as soon not have one either.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #5

SUN #1004
Khrtl
I've been curious to the variety of approaches to curing the front window leak. We, too have a leak on the corners that puddles, leaks onto the ledge and then the panel below it. It appears to have leaked like this for some time as the paneling in deteriorated and should be replaced, that does not appear to be challenging. It appears that the front window is removeable(?) and that we would be able to re-caulk the window where it meets the frame? I thought I some either some pics or a step-by-step on removing this window some along the line...comments??
Thanks, David and Kathy Hirtle
Old 04-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #6

SUN #809
ihsolutions
When JaredB first brought home his 2005 T-1950 I ran a bead of non-leveling Dicro around the front window, after removing all the excess putty tape that had worked it's way out. There were no leaks, but I thought this was good preventative maintenance.

Same goes for the rear corner beads which wrap around the two rear corners, vertically, and leave an exposed opening facing forward. This puts an awful lot of faith in the butyl tape which does not have an infinite life span. We caulked both sides of that too.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD D/A DRW, Classy Chassis Conversion, aka "Garage Queen II"
Hensley Trailersaver BD3 Air Hitch
ihsolutions is offline   Reply With Quote