Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-02-2014, 12:16 PM   #1

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Knob on Propane Tank Stuck

The knob on one of my propane tanks is stuck.
The other one is fine.

I tried to turn it with a vice grip but I did not want to damage it. When I took my Sunny to get a new awning about 3 weeks ago, John (repair guy) did get it to turn. However, I just tried it and its stuck again.

I am home now for acouple of weeks and called local dealer repair and she said I could just replace the tank with a Rhino. When I said that "ins't there a differnece between an RV tank and one one exchange?" She said no, if its 20lb tanks. John (repair guy) said the same thing. But if that is true why do I find new LP Cylinders in the catalog for about $70?

I also I am wondering if its some other part of the system? Can just the knobs be replaced? What should I asked to be done to correctly address the situation?

I am not opposed to getting a new tank but if its something else what kind of test can be done? I read somewhere about "purging" the tank

I leave to winter in Texas in two weeks and my appointment is tomorrow! I just got back into town from Michigan's UP

HELP!

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:47 PM   #2

SUN #1694
GWildey is an unknown quantity at this point
Now you see the profit margin on anything labeled 'RV'.

If you take your tank to a LP gas distributer/dealer they should be able to replace the valve. Or you can go to any other store that sells LP tanks and buy a new one.

'83 T1550
'90 T1550
'06 Volvo XC90 V8
GWildey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:42 PM   #3

SUN #1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWildey View Post
Oh my gosh I saw that awhile back

Its is never ending!

Thanks for the reply

Quote:
If you take your tank to a LP gas distributer/dealer they should be able to replace the valve. Or you can go to any other store that sells LP tanks and buy a new one.

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 10-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Remove it take it to WalMart or the likes trade it in for a new one. Trust me every time you trade in a tank for a new one you are getting screwed so corporate has to take a hit once in awhile they sell you 15# of propane for the price of 20 on every tank you take in so they can afford it.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #5

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWildey View Post

Time 2 on this.

It seems...

If it is RV, factor 2X the normal rate

If it is Marine, factor 3X the normal rate

And I think some said, if it is a motor cycle, factor 4x....

Look at the screw tie downs they have for awnings. If labeled RV then go to the dept store and look for dog screw stakes. Compare prices and create your own times factor.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:22 PM   #6

SUN #1546
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
Remove it take it to WalMart or the likes trade it in for a new one. Trust me every time you trade in a tank for a new one you are getting screwed so corporate has to take a hit once in awhile they sell you 15# of propane for the price of 20 on every tank you take in so they can afford it.
Seriously? How do they get away with selling 15# for 20#?

But another propane question: I only use mine for the frig (keeping the pilot) I bought a Warning Burner and use that when connected to electric

How long will one 20# aka 15# tank last me? Since there doesn't seem to be any accurate way of measuring propane

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 10-02-2014, 07:24 PM   #7

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by apackoftwo View Post
I am home now for acouple of weeks and called local dealer repair and she said I could just replace the tank with a Rhino. When I said that "ins't there a differnece between an RV tank and one one exchange?" She said no, if its 20lb tanks. John (repair guy) said the same thing. But if that is true why do I find new LP Cylinders in the catalog for about $70?
The Rhino tanks from Walmart are far from new! This Spring I had a tank that needed filling and the expiration date was past so instead of a $14 fill at the local hardware store I did a $19 exchange at Walmart. The "new" tank was only 4 years old and only a little rusty. I should have weighed the tank, it felt almost full.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #8

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
It's worth noting that it's not the knob on your tank per se that is stuck, but the valve itself that has malfunctioned. You can buy replacement valves--Amazon has several that will work with Worthington-type bottles--but I've never heard of anyone actually replacing the valve assembly. Replacing the entire tank is the most cost-effective and, long-term, safest way to go.

As for monitoring propane levels, there are two options of which I'm aware. The first is the stick-on temperature-sensitive decals which we use. You attach them to the wall of the propane cylinder, then pour very hot water over them. The decals change color to indicate the level of liquid propane remaining in the bottle. The other way to go is an in-line gauge (again, Amazon has several options for these). Many people disregard these as being totally inaccurate, but they work on the same operating principle as those used with acetylene, and are better than just guessing at the level in your tank.

Matthew

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #9

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by apackoftwo View Post
Seriously? How do they get away with selling 15# for 20#?

But another propane question: I only use mine for the frig (keeping the pilot) I bought a Warning Burner and use that when connected to electric

How long will one 20# aka 15# tank last me? Since there doesn't seem to be any accurate way of measuring propane
I can get by on 20# all season even running the water heater. Have a look at the notices on the exchange tank cages they are up front telling you that you get 15# but they don’t mind charging you for 20 they claim that they cannot put more than that in them. I work part time for a local camp ground two days ago that came up I happened to have two tanks of mine to fill we weighted the tanks the completely empty one took 21# ( margin of error) the other shut off at 17# it still had some in it. A gallon of liquid propane goes about 4.2# so a lot of the refillers are saving around a gallon on a refill nice profit on thousands of cylinders. A reputable camp ground or propane supply Co. would be the place to have your tanks refilled most charge by the tank to make up for the labor but at least they get them full. If you go to some place like WalMart you can refuse a tank you don’t like the looks of or expired dates just pick a nice one and give them your old one. Hot water was suggested that will give you a level of the amount of liquid left in the tank but if you really want to know exactly it would have to be weighed.