Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #1

SUN #15
GoodoleBob
It was get up on the roof day today with Bee's

I knew I had to attend to the seal the seams chore we all face periodically. This mean climbing up on the roof...not my favorite location in the camping world. When we ordered our Sunny I knew this would be an ongoing need, so I ordered the walk on roof which gave me the 1/2" plywood substructure. So I gathered up all my sealing supplies in a bucket and got up top to check things out.

Surprisingly there was not a stitch of seam needing sealing...not a bit that was even suspect. With my DW directing my every ballet movement up there I felt it was only right to seal something...my big mouth perhaps...

So I cleaned a couple messy factory blobs and smeared some Dicor on those to make then appear more Sunline looking. The really big excitement for me came in the form of lots of bees which found a nest site in the AC housing...phew they can be unnerving to work around. No stings since I tend to leave them alone...next time we head out on vacation they will be history. Or should I do something about then now...if so, why and what?

Bob

GoodoleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Bob

Must admit I did get a chuckle from your post……. The DW comments....

And I forgot you ordered the walk on roof. Good for you!!! If I ever buy another new camper or rebuild the one I have now, the walk on feature will come…. It is handy.

Now to the bees and the AC unit. Yes they seem to like to hang out up there. See this post http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...html#post79542

Complete with bees nest and why one would be into that area.

In your situation I do not know if you have used your AC much. If you have then it may be time to do a coil cleaning or next year. On my T310SR I’m sure it was never done by the prior owner and it was 4 years since new before it was cleaned by me. It needed it.

However I would not specifically just go up and take the cover off to just get a bees nest out. Visions come to mind and none of them positive. And ideally if you know you have the problem, well that is a good early spring time thing when odds are the nest is dead from winter. Hopefully they have not created a monster nest up there as that then may be more of an issue. Take a look to see how many area coming out. A few or hundreds…. If it is hundreds well that calls for a situation all of it’s own.

I have dealt with honey bees in our orchards and they are predictable they have one mission, making honey. They are worker bees....We had smokers, clothing gear and the works to open the hives to clean them out and extract honey. However yellow jackets or hornets do not have the same disposition and will attack. I would say the 1st thing is to observe from a distance how many/busy they are. A few I would not worry about and your right, going down the road will most likely get ride of the flying ones and may disrupt the nest enough to die even if all have not hatched out.

If you have a major swarm, well may need to call an exterminator. If they have a monster size nest the size of a foot ball up there that can create issues. The fan and coil being the larger concern. Hopefully this is not the case in your situation.

And if the shroud cover has been on the sun a lot, care full when removing it it does not flex as it will crack and AC shrouds are expensive.

Good luck and hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote