Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #1

SUN #10833
Rennie is an unknown quantity at this point
ISO Electrical Schematics for 1981 RD 1350?

I have a feeling that when I pick up my trailer, that I am going to find the tail lights are jury rigged into the receptacle above the kitchen sink. I will have to upload photos for anyone to understand my concern. The trailer is still at my girlfriends house in north Alabama getting carpentry repairs. Getting new vinyl flooring, new countertop and ceiling leak repair in bathroom.

My question is if the 1982 schematic in the files section is what I could use for my 1981? I don't know how to read them. Hoping my husband will be able to. Or if anyone else has a better schematic, pretty please share with me! Thanks Sunline Community. I am absolutely anxious to get my hands on this camper!

Old 09-30-2018, 05:20 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I think E Trailer has some pretty good diagrams of trailer lighting wiring, in general is pretty much standard. The receptacles in campers are somewhat unique they have no box like you would find in a house there maybe an empty box for optional AC wiring. Camper wiring diagrams in generally are pretty much non existent. There are plenty of 7 pin plug wiring diagrams online they will help with colors. Have fun with the new camper!

Old 10-01-2018, 08:00 AM   #3

SUN #10833
Just did a search for wiring diagrams on etrailer with no success, but I will continue my search in other places as well. Thank you mainah.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:33 AM   #4

SUN #2097
It is a generic diagram but it's pretty much the same for all trailers no matter what they are. Yours is a 7 pin standard for 5th wheels and TT these are the standard colors if you wiring has been hacked/tinkered then all bets are off. Sunline seemed to match the colors pretty well and they should follow the same clear to the back. Often they spliced wiring behind the left rear tailight. Here is a link to generic wiring I do not think you will find anything as to how the camper people ran their wiring but they should be pretty close on colors. etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx Does you TV have a 7 pin factory connection? If so you can follow the pin out from the pictures. Automotive wiring probably is one of the least understood things ever produced it's easy for me to say because I did electrical work for 52 years but they did try to be somewhat consistent on camper wiring colors.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:52 AM   #5

SUN #10833
Found this diagram.

I think I found the diagrams. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (111.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 10-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #6

SUN #2097
Good that should help you. I'll give you a little hint about your quest if something doesn't work it's generally broken/poorly wired connection and of course bulb. If it does bizarre things like a right turn signal lighting the clearance lights too it most likely is a poor/missing ground.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:02 AM   #7

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi,

This diagram you found is correct for the physical wiring but the colors are not correct for the RV industry world that Sunline used.

The RV industry (called RV Standard) and the Trailer industry (called Traditional) will both work plugged into your truck but the colors on the wires are different.

See here, this is from the Etrailer page down a little from where you found the diagram.

Here is the truck receptacle. Trailer Traditional, meaning the trailer industry on the left, RV Standard in the middle)

Here is the camper 7 wire plug

I really do not know why the 2 industries never got their act together and used the same color code but they didn't.

Here are the differences in case you do not see them right off.

Trailer world to RV world color changes on the same physical wire

- Purple to Yellow for reverse lights
- Yellow to Red for left turn and stop light

Also in your diagram, Red is shown as the battery charging wire and on campers, black is the battery charging wire on a RV as Red is used on the left turn and stop light.

Hope this helps

John

PS. A link to the Etrailer site with those diagram is here https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx?legacy=true

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:37 AM   #8

SUN #2097
That's correct John there are two types opf 7 pin that's why I said 5th wheel and TT's for some reason boat/utility trailers have a different pattern. SAE? OR DOT? I don't know.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:50 AM   #9

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
That's correct John there are two types opf 7 pin that's why I said 5th wheel and TT's for some reason boat/utility trailers have a different pattern. SAE? OR DOT? I don't know.
I know.... why the the US trailer industry and RV world never agreed to use the same color codes is beyond me... ????

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1981, rd1350, schematics