Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #1

SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it possible for animals or water to get stuck b/w the bottom skin and insulation?

I am having an odor issue. There was always a faint odor coming from under the shower/bathroom area (I assumed it was mildew/dead bugs and whatnot underneath the bathroom subfloor) and it was controllable for a long time, as I planned to replace the shower pan and was going to wait until then to clean out that area and remove whatever was mildewy. Lately in the last few weeks the smell has become out of control and I've been investigating the cause.

I pulled up the shower pan and found nothing abnormal besides dust and bugs. But I did notice that the smell was coming from where the kitchen sink pipe meets the grey tank--from the hole where those two meet at the bottom of the camper. The odor wafted strongly from the hole, though the seal was intact, so I wondered if between the bottom skin and whatever is against that (where the insulation is) could an animal get trapped in there? Could moisture be trapped in there somehow that is rotting? If so, where would I look for this and what signs am I looking for? Can it be seen from getting underneath the camper? The seals on both vents were secure however. So I don't see it as a tank/vent leak/crack.

There was also the possibility that it was a septic tank issue. The grey tank is always open to the septic tank and thought maybe it was a backing up issue. But I tried closing the tank off for several days and there was no difference in the smell.

I have been investigating around for the last week or so and am really bumming out that I can't find the source of this issue. I duct taped off the hole to reduce the smell and it is finding other ways to come up into the camper--under the bench perhaps from where the linoleum is coming up on the edge. This is another reason I think the problem is coming from underneath but inside the camper. The odor could escape from anywhere there is space to the bottom insulation area. There is no odor outside the camper from any piping or from a damaged septic tank.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #2

SUN #4422
I did also treat both tanks with happy camper which should have at least reduced the odor but there was no difference.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #3

SUN #4422
As I was getting ready for bed I realize of course this is possible...so the next question is where else and how can I continue to investigate? This is a major smell problem that has grown over time and I do not know what else to do. I fear there is no solution that won't be very costly and time consuming since I've looked in the most obvious places and it's causing a lot of distress.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Is there water in the "P" traps on the sinks and shower?
Old 12-22-2014, 08:49 AM   #5

SUN #4422
I use them everyday...doesn't water automatically stay in the traps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
Is there water in the "P" traps on the sinks and shower?
Old 12-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #6

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes it will stay in the traps if they are used.