Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-19-2015, 12:53 PM   #1

SUN #5936
Buck62 is an unknown quantity at this point
How Do I Know When It's Time to Replace My Springs and/or Axle?

Hello all..

I have a 1983 T-1550 and I've completely remodeled/rehabbed the interior, changed out all the vents, rewired it, etc.

I don't use the electric brakes on my trailer because the trailer is so light I've never really needed them in the 2,000+ miles I've towed it. That, and I don't even know if they work.

Anyway, because of the age of my trailer, I'm mainly wondering about the replacement of the springs. I'm the 3rd owner, and I doubt they've ever been replaced. I can't say for sure if the rubber sleeves over the mounting bolts are worn or dry rotted, because its not easy to tell without taking it apart. Also, I have concerns about rust and the springs and U-bolts being brittle. Should I just replace it all anyway?
I grease the bearings each Spring, and there doesn't seem to be any issues there. I'm not sure if I should be looking any further into it.

Tips, clues and advice is much appreciated... thanks.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:32 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Personal opinion fix the breaks first. Have a look at your TV owners manual bet it says to to use trailer breakes with trailers in excess of 1000# They also are part of the break away system that when working properly will apply the brakes if the trail become loose from the TV. Does it sag on one side or the other? I don't usually sell cars/trucks with less that me200K on them and I never have replaced springs just because. The bushings may well be worn and that will cause some play in the suspension.