Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #1

SUN #4422
noralee is an unknown quantity at this point
How are these bugs getting in my camper?

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer.

I'm having a problem with small bugs getting in the camper once it's dark out, and I have lights on inside. These are small moths, very small flies and fruit flies, among other small flying creatures. How are they getting in? I have been continually sealing up the camper, any small area that may be exposed to the outside. I've looked at windows, screens, door edges, back of the stove hood that flows outside...I just don't know how else they could be getting in. Some are small enough to get through the screens and there's nothing that can be done there. But the moths and flies and other flying things, i have no idea how they are getting in as they cannot fit through the screen.

Does anyone have any ideas about where I might have missed sealing up? It's really frustrating that by the time I am ready for bed it looks like I'm sleeping outside Then I have to either vacuum them up or get them with a tissue

Thank you

Old 09-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #2

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you checked where your electric cord comes in to the camper? When we camp, we spray flying insect killer on our electric cord and in the area where it goes into the camper. Keeps down the creepy-crawlies!

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:06 PM   #3

SUN #6257
JerryJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Another place I just thought of might be that door or hatch where your utility stuff is under the trailer. Some times I tend to leave mine open during a stay or when I forget to close it. I just wonder how many bug might find their way in through there and on into the cabin of the trailer.

You could hang a sign outside stating "No Bugs Allowed" but not all bugs read those things

Jerry & Debbie
Ford Explorer 4.6 Triton V8, AWD, 4x4
1985 Sunline Saturn T-1350
Ham radio VE3JCJ, VHF, UHF and HF
JerryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:44 PM   #4

SUN #4422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabes View Post
Have you checked where your electric cord comes in to the camper? When we camp, we spray flying insect killer on our electric cord and in the area where it goes into the camper. Keeps down the creepy-crawlies!

Thanks for your reply...I have taped over that leftover from the winter, so I don't think too much is getting in there. Even still, these are mostly bugs that are attracted to the light, and the electric cord hole is under my bed/in a storage area. so it's dark down there.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #5

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
Just because they are attracted to light don't dismiss them coming in from underneath or any hole. Little moths settle into grass, etc. I was amazed at how many flew up the last time I mowed my lawn, which was as it was getting dark.

Remember to check around the hot water heater exterior door and any plumbing and electrical coming into the coach from there. I have notice in my '83 T-1550 gaps around such items.

I also found old nut shells in the wheel well area under the refrigerator (inside coach) when I worked on my toilet valve replacement last year. I had removed the panel behind the toilet and there was the nut shells. If chipmunk or mice are getting in, bugs can wall in standing up.

Remove all panels and look into the areas as well as looking at all vents, appliance vent doors, plumbing and electrical penetrations, etc.
P3 break control
"I know a lot about nothing and nothing about a lot"
bunjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #6

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe even that big vent opening behind the fridge.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #7

SUN #5039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Maybe even that big vent opening behind the fridge.
Exactly. I think that is where the little "nut crackers" may have gotten in in my unit.
P3 break control
Old 09-17-2014, 09:43 AM   #8

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
My neighbor is having bug problems (like little nats). She finally figured out that they came in with a bag of potatoes.
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #9

SUN #4422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjin View Post

I also found old nut shells in the wheel well area under the refrigerator (inside coach) when I worked on my toilet valve replacement last year. I had removed the panel behind the toilet and there was the nut shells. If chipmunk or mice are getting in, bugs can wall in standing up.

Remove all panels and look into the areas as well as looking at all vents, appliance vent doors, plumbing and electrical penetrations, etc.
Quote:

Do you mean the inside walls when you refer to panels? Or the outside aluminum panels? THat would be a huge job that i am not skilled to do on my own! i have checked all the areas that have been mentioned: places where hoses and electrical are coming in, around water heater, behind the fridge, the storage mini door. there are definitely more ways i can seal around behind the fridge so maybe i'll work on that. it really drives me nuts. there has even been day flies, which are pretty large, that have made their way around. I also screened around the roof vents (there were bees and wasps coming all the way inside through the faucet pipes. all the sudden there would be a gigantic buzzer inside waking me up in the am.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #10

SUN #5039
noralee,

When I say panel, I'm referring to the access panels that allow you to have access to plumbing, etc. These are just panels that Sunline used the square socket head screws to hold in place. These panels (flat door like covers) are on the inside of your trailer.

Your access panels are going to be in different places than mine. I forgot you have a T-1350 and not the T-1550 I have.

As I believe itwas Gene said though is you may need to put screen on the inside of the refrigerator vent (outside of trailer) as the louvers/vents are rather large.
P3 break control
Old 09-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #11

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Another common place is that little space around the vent crank handle. The plastic piece in the screen often has a lot of space where the crank handle passes through.

When all else fails, this "tool" is quite effective at getting all but the smallest of those little critters. We keep one in the house and one in the camper.

Electric Fly Swatter - Electric Bug Zapper

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #12

SUN #5039
Something else I thought of is that there are two kinds of window screening material. One is mosquito screen and the other is no-see-um screen. the latter having smaller hole size.

no see-em screening - Bing
P3 break control
Old 09-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #13

SUN #4422
Quote:
noralee,

When I say panel, I'm referring to the access panels that allow you to have access to plumbing, etc. These are just panels that Sunline used the square socket head screws to hold in place. These panels (flat door like covers) are on the inside of your trailer.

Your access panels are going to be in different places than mine. I forgot you have a T-1350 and not the T-1550 I have.

As I believe itwas Gene said though is you may need to put screen on the inside of the refrigerator vent (outside of trailer) as the louvers/vents are rather large.
Yes, thank you. I don't really have panels like that inside that I can think of. I do need to screen the back of the fridge.

Thanks bunjin for the screen options. I didn't know about that. At least for the next couple nights I don't have to worry about any bugs...due to a cold spell, the low is 42.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:21 AM   #14

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Noralee - just a thought where do you store your sewer hose????
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #15

SUN #4422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post
Noralee - just a thought where do you store your sewer hose????
I have a permanent setup right now so i don't use the hose...but it is outside in the rear bumper.
Old 10-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #16

SUN #4422
i did some patching and the bugs have reduced significantly. hooray for good news it's such a relief.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #17

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
What did you patch????

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote