Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-29-2009, 05:32 AM   #1

SUN #179
Andy Vidra
Hot Water stopped

While camping this past weekend in our 2007 2553, our hot water just stopped running. It was working all morning and then it wasn't. The cold water was fine, but no hot water. I worked through the pressure relief valve sequence and still nothing. I then drained the hot water tank: it was full of lots of very hot water. I let it refill and still nothing even after redoing the pressure valve check. When I flipped the switch ond by-passed the hot water tank, water flowed freely from the hot water faucets. Closing the by-pass killed the flow. Any ideas on what is wrong.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like you just have the by pass valve lever in the incorrect position. When you place it in the bypass position and get plenty of hot water apparently it is NOT by passing the WH. When you have it in what should be the open position it apparently is in the bypass position.

IF YOUR OPERATING YOUR WH ON ELECTRIC, MAKE SURE THERE IS ALWAYS WATER IN IT SO THAT YOU DON'T BURN OUT THE HEATING ELEMENT

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #3

SUN #179
Andy Vidra
I probably confused the issue in my rambling. We have always had hot water--the by-pass valve was in the right position. I switched the valve position just to make sure that it hadn't moved on its own. When I did that, I got cold water out of the hot water faucet. This indicated that there was no blockage in the distribution line. Since I can refill the hot water tank, there is obviously not a blockage in the inlet line either. The problem seems to lie in the hot water heater itself.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:52 AM   #4

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
post deleted - Gene's answer below is the likely culprit.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #5

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like the check valve at the output (top connection) of the water heater may be plugged or stuck. There is only a few inches of pex from the water heater output to the "T" where the bypass pipe connects. That brass thing is the check valve.

that big crack in the tank is another long story

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:25 AM   #6

SUN #179
Andy Vidra
Curious and curiouser. I disconnected the plastic fitting at the output where it attaches to the check valve and a small plunger-like plastic piece fell out. There is absolutely no evidence of any precipitate blocking anything. Any ideas about how I should proceed?
Old 10-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #7

SUN #264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Vidra
Curious and curiouser. I disconnected the plastic fitting at the output where it attaches to the check valve and a small plunger-like plastic piece fell out. There is absolutely no evidence of any precipitate blocking anything. Any ideas about how I should proceed?
I don't think those check valves are repairable. Carefully remove it and take it first to a home repair or plumbing supply house and see if they can match it. If they can't then take it to the parts desk at an RV dealer/repair shop. (A lot of the bits and pieces in our TT's can be found on the shelves at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and much less expensive than at an RV shop.)

A quick look in the go-rv.com catalog finds these. They're pretty standard plumbing parts so you may well find them at Lowes, etc.
Marshall Brass is very common stuff.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #8

SUN #179
Andy Vidra
Thanks, Steve. Any idea if the part that broke off the plastic plunger is likely to cause a problem inside the tank? There doesn't seem to be any way to find it easily.

The RV dealer near me does have to order the part. It costs about $8. I will check Home Depot tomorrow and a plumbing supply place on Monday before I order it from the dealer.
Old 10-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #9

SUN #264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Vidra
Thanks, Steve. Any idea if the part that broke off the plastic plunger is likely to cause a problem inside the tank? There doesn't seem to be any way to find it easily.
Most likely, if a piece of the plastic fell into the tank, it would not be a problem. It may come out when you drain the tank for winterizing. It might even be possible to get a bit of small plastic tubing and adapt it to a shop-vac and poke around in the tank to see if you can grab it. But I don't see it as a problem.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #10

SUN #179
Andy Vidra
Well, the fix is in. Home Depot and two local plumbing supply stores did not have a half-inch check valve. A rv dealer had a close match for the one in my Sunline and it fit after adding a connecting piece from our hardware store. The hot water is back in full force.

Steve deserves a big hand for his help. Thanks, Steve

Andy